FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Use Cluster in Red Alert.

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Daigon
How To Use Cluster in Red Alert.
on Nov 1, 2008 at 5:52:04 pm

I have a cluster setup for use in Compressor that is great. When I enter that cluster name in the Qmaster
area of Red Alert nothing happens. Does anyone with an 8 core use a cluster successfully?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: How To Use Cluster in Red Alert.
on Nov 2, 2008 at 5:15:47 pm

Check Reduser.net, there has been a script published recently for jus this task.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 2, 2008 at 6:50:27 pm

Thanks Uli. I have done extensive searching for simple Qmaster implimentation (similar to clusters in Compressor). I did find the script you referred but it seems more complex than I need , beside going way over my head. I have entered the cluster name I use in Compressor, in the Qmaster field of Red Alert and tried various nodes to no avail. In the Redline field I also added the cluster name, appended then rendered in the terminal, which ran at the same speed as the just hitting the render button, using no Qmaster.
Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 3, 2008 at 8:29:52 am

Sorry, but it is more complex than you might want it to be. QMaster can't work with RA/RR/RL directly.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 3, 2008 at 2:38:59 pm

[Uli Plank] "Sorry, but it is more complex than you might want it to be. QMaster can't work with RA/RR/RL directly. "

I want to second Uli's comment, as Qmaster still retains a larger amount of the CL interface to make it function outside of apples own toolset.

But why??? for a single machine are you wasting the time, when RED Rushes allows for multiprocessor aware computing on a single machine.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 3, 2008 at 7:44:50 pm

Thanks Uli and Gary. I will check into Red Ruches since this process will be restricted to 1 machine.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 4, 2008 at 3:35:07 am

Gary, I am exploring Red Rushes. Since you cant do a one light like you can in Red Alert...is there anyway to save the information I create for the file in Red Alert and apply it to the batch in Red Rushes?
Its nice to have a batch utility, but for my workflow (quick turn around video production facility where I will be using the Prores files as is to cut into commercials that need a fast turn around) Im liking Red Alert for its power and Red Rushes for its batch capabilities, but I need both to work in tandem. What are your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 4, 2008 at 3:56:55 am

Eureka! I think I figured out the way to use each programs strengths. In RA I set up the shot as desired
which generates a RSX file. I then load the batch of R3D clips into RR and tell it to load in the RSX file.
The RR generated Prores full raster movies are identical to the original movie generated in RA. Yayyyy!

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 4, 2008 at 3:46:28 am

Just stay away from illegal characters in the file's path (including spaces).

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 4, 2008 at 4:55:16 am

Thanks for the tip Russell. BTW, before working at a post house here in Las Vegas (8 years), I lived and worked at Skaggs Telecommunications Services (18 years) in Salt Lake. I have fond memories of my
homes in the Avenues and Sugar House...but I dont miss the cold biting winters. Now I contend with hot hellish summers....its always something!
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 4, 2008 at 5:05:51 am

Russell, please give my warmest regards to Palmer Pattison if he is associated with your facility.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 4, 2008 at 8:09:09 am

Check out the freeware Clipfinder as well, it does much more than the name implies – even more than RR.

Regards,

Uli

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 4, 2008 at 4:39:00 pm

Hey Tom--Palmer here.

I have my own shop and I'm a tenant in the same joint where Russ works.

To avoid a little OT activity, you can e-mail me at palmersound@gmail.com

Small world!!!

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 4, 2008 at 4:45:03 pm

[Tom Daigon] "..but I dont miss the cold biting winters."

First big snow of the year is coming today. I swear fall only lasts for two weeks here!

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Nov 10, 2008 at 12:43:18 am

Could you explain your process. Whenever I try to batch process clips in RedRushes using an RSX file created in Red Alert the first clip is color corrected and the rest are not.

Any workflow you care to share?

Jason

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 10, 2008 at 1:02:53 pm

[Jason Boucher] "Whenever I try to batch process clips in RedRushes using an RSX file created in Red Alert the first clip is color corrected and the rest are not. "

First you have to manually choose One RSX file to be used for all clips,

Setting are under" Look Source" then in the "RSX settings"

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Nov 10, 2008 at 4:01:59 pm

Hi Gary. Thanks for the response. I have done that (I think)...

Here's what I did:

Open a clip in Red Alert, color it appropriately and save it.

Open Redrushes and load in all the clips I want colored in the same manner. I choose the RSX file after selecting Look Source, set the gamma and color space to Look Source. In the RSX settings I choose "Selected RSX", "Ignore in/out point"...

When I render the first clip in the batch is colored correctly and the remaining clips are unchanged...

I will try to reinstall RedAlert (again x5) and see if it resolves itself a it seems that my workflow is what everyone else is doing with success.

Thanks again.

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 10, 2008 at 4:27:05 pm

[Jason Boucher] "Open Redrushes and load in all the clips I want colored in the same manner..... "In the RSX settings I choose "Selected RSX", "Ignore in/out point"... "

are you selecting all of the clips loaded when you choose "Selected RSX"?

otherwise you are telling the app to only correct the file that is selected.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 10, 2008 at 8:42:14 pm

If it still doesn't work, give Clipfinder a try. Very nice freeware by Hans Daun and IMHO even better than RR.

Regards,

Uli

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:47:36 pm

are you selecting all of the clips loaded when you choose "Selected RSX"?

aaaaaaaahhhh... select as in highlight all the clips. No sir. I was not. So to to that end, can I then change all the parameters per clip or group selected? Say half the batch to 1080p and half to 720p?

Thank you for your help Gary. As always I appreciate your guidance.

Jason

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Nov 11, 2008 at 3:31:12 pm

Ok Gary, forgive me for asking what I assume is an idiot question, but I can't select all in Redrushes. The option under the edit menu is grayed-out. Is there a trick to selecting all?

These Red programs are great, but without manuals, even simple everyday functions seem to be hours of trial and error.

Thanks again.

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 11, 2008 at 8:15:02 pm

Get Clipfinder!

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Nov 11, 2008 at 9:56:19 pm

Uli,

I'll give it a look. I'm just not at a point where I can stop down and learn yet another workflow. I'm sure Jannard's Thursday announcement will change it all anyway! At least I'm hopeful!

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 11, 2008 at 11:48:51 pm

[Jason Boucher] " but I can't select all in Redrushes. The option under the edit menu is grayed-out. Is there a trick to selecting all? "

OOOHHH
good catch

it is broken in the 3.50 build....

( I try to handle it in LC. so I do not look always at each build of the interface)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]