FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow Suggestion?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Osiri Sioux
Workflow Suggestion?
on Oct 31, 2008 at 6:35:50 pm

Hi there!

Currently working on pre-production for a music video with the Red One. I'm new to the camera and the workflow, so bear with me...

The video will be mostly green screen with a lot of motion graphics to be done in Apple Motion.

My question is, would you recommend using ProRes for this workflow? As far as the editing and compositing, (and this is more of an Apple Motion question) is there any way to work with offline footage in Motion and then online at a later date to save processing time?

Thanks!

Nick

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Workflow Suggestion?
on Oct 31, 2008 at 8:27:55 pm

I'm doing some workflow consulting on a very similar shoot right now. It's all green screen. We gave the editor ProRes files to work with in FCP. They're just using the internal keyer to temp up the video. From there, we'll conform the video in Scratch (though you could use a Crimson workflow) and render out 4k DPX files for the final compositing.

This allows for flexibility in editing instead of rendering out monster files to start will.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Nov 1, 2008 at 10:58:33 pm

For keying, well developed RedLog DPXs beats anything ('cept 16 bit tiffs)

Prores is an offline format not very well suited for keying...

http://www.vulture.no/

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 2, 2008 at 5:14:29 pm

How is he going to work with DPXs in Motion?
While DPXs are superior in a high-end workflow, you can get pretty decent keys from ProRes for HDTV.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]