FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice for equipment needed

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton Shu
advice for equipment needed
on Oct 10, 2008 at 7:52:45 am

Hello
I am going to work with red footage for 2k output. I`m gonna use Final cut studio 2 and Adobe After Effects CS3. I want to upgrade my machine to be able to do the work, so need your advice. Is the intel powermac, aja Kona3 and fast Raid storage system is all I need? Correct me if I`m wrong.
How much GB of Ram and what Raid system is the best for price and performance? It should fit 10:1 raw material for 1.5 hour length film. Could you advice a reliable Raid manufacturer?

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: advice for equipment needed
on Oct 10, 2008 at 10:52:20 pm

[Anton Shu] "Is the intel powermac, aja Kona3 and fast Raid storage system is all I need? "

That would be a good system. I suggest the Intel 2.8Ghz because I don't think it's worth the extra money to get the faster processors.

I'd get 8GB of RAM through crucial.com.

As far as the RAID goes, if you have 15 hours of footage, you'll need at least 2TB. There are several different options. Dulce Systems, Sonnet Technology, Maxx Digital, and many others.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Charles Taylor
on Oct 13, 2008 at 4:59:40 am

I forget the manufacturer's name, but the burly box comes to mind for inexpensive raid. Incidentally, we 640gb drives are cheap and fast right now.

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Oct 13, 2008 at 3:09:56 pm

I have personally worked with Maxx Digital storage on site at The Wiltern in Hollywood and have also met the owner of the company.

We didn't work with 2k media, only HD, on my tests they were fast and reliable. They also support all Raid configurations so fail-save and media rebuild is definately possible.

The owner of the company is very hands on and seems to be very helpful when it comes to support. I think some COW leaders own Maxx storage, are happy with it, and AJA and BM have tested them succesfully.

I do not endorse Maxx storage, neither I own the product, but I recommend it based on my real-work tests with the units. They will definately be an option to consider next time I am in need of storage.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Finisher / Consultant
Off: 310.826.9199
AIM: stuart.colorist
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

"HD - 2K - RED Post Production for Indies without ego"

Return to posts index

Anton Shu
on Oct 14, 2008 at 9:19:14 am

Thank You for the advice, It is much easer now to choose one.

Return to posts index

Anne Mills
on Oct 29, 2008 at 12:25:37 am

I saw allot of good things being said about CalDigit on the RedUser site check it out.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18007

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 1, 2008 at 1:17:13 am

[Anne Mills] "I saw allot of good things being said about CalDigit"

Don't forget that we have a CalDigit forum here at the Cow. The CalDigit team is very active there, so if you have any questions, sing out.

Tim

Tim Wilson
Associate Director, CreativeCow.net
Associate Publisher, Creative Cow Magazine!

Return to posts index

Peter Majtan
on Oct 28, 2008 at 4:19:10 pm

Hi Anton!

I agree with Stuart in recommending the Maxx Digital storage. We are right now in a intensive post on Las Vegas show Sirens of TI. We have shot with 6 Red One cameras in 4K@24P, 3K@60P and 2K@120P and ended up with almost a terrabyte of RAW data. I am using the latest Evo2 HD 8TB RAID from Maxx Digital and even when protected by RAID-5 this system can easily sustain close to 700 MB/s in both read & write. This is plenty for 4K, let alone 2K. Maxx Digital storage is as reliable as they get and the support is some of the best I have seen in this industry. How many CEO's/owners post their personal e-mail and mobile phone number on their web sites? You can call the owner directly and he will take good care of You. I have visited their offices in Huntington Beach and he is surrounded by team of very knowledgeable and dedicated people. Then build the storage right there to a really high quality standards. As a cherry on top of the cake - the design complements the Mac Pro tower - almost as if it was made by Apple themselves...

Best of all they have now dedicated forum here on CC, so You can also get direct support here...

As far as the memory goes - You want to put as much as You can get - as least 4GB, but ideally 8GB. There isn't much benefit to go beyond 8GB until Snow Leopard is out next year... I also recommend to use 8x 1GB modules, rather then 4x 2GB or 2x 4GB - You will get the best performance...

Feel free to e-mail me if You need any help with Your system...
I am also a member at reduser.net - just search for my name...

Take care

Peter

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Nov 20, 2008 at 4:07:43 pm

[Peter Majtan] "I also recommend to use 8x 1GB modules, rather then 4x 2GB or 2x 4GB - You will get the best performance..."

I know this is a fiarly old post now, but I just read it and was curious to know why 8x 1GB is better? It's a useful tip.

Thanks,
Alex

Return to posts index

Peter Majtan
on Nov 20, 2008 at 7:01:06 pm

Hey Alex - this is a simple question of available bandwidth... The same way RAID-0 is faster the more drives You add in - the memory is faster with more modules used as the bottleneck is the connecting interface. The performance gain is not as linear as it is with RAID-0, but it is noticeable never the less. I have seen boost of up to 30%...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]