Offline editing in FCP with QT proxies

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Tay
Offline editing in FCP with QT proxies
on Oct 8, 2008 at 11:41:04 am

Hi,

Quick question...

If I want to do offline editing directly with the RED Quicktime proxies, what codec do I setup for my sequence ?

What challenges do I expect from doing offline with this approach vs using Log & Capture to convert them into the more editable ProRes format ?

Thanks.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
Re: Offline editing in FCP with QT proxies
on Oct 8, 2008 at 12:41:31 pm

You can use the proxies to start editing right away and to avoid time consuming conversions if you are dealing with a large shoot.

Some of the drawbacks are that you will be limited to simple edits and maybe dissolves. For narrative projects this should not be a concern but if you are looking for creative editing techniques or multiple video tracks, conversions are the only solution.

As far as the codec goes, if you use the proxies and FCP 6+, just drop the proxies in your timeline and it should automatically set itself for RED codec.

"In Search of a Midnight Kiss" now in theaters!

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Finisher / Consultant
Off: 310.826.9199
AIM: stuart.colorist
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

"HD, 2K & RED Post Production for Indies at Affordable Rates"

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Oct 10, 2008 at 3:17:35 am

Depending on your system, you really need to dumb down your sequence to get good performance from the reference r3d reference files. Change you sequence RT quality to medium or low and set up your sequence to something line ProRes.

I don't like using the reference movies to edit with because it seems to leave the door open to technical problems. Also, if you want to play out to a monitor, the quality of the image isn't great.

I'd much rather compress files using REDRushes or Compressor. It takes a little longer, but not much if you get the settings right.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Oct 16, 2008 at 2:54:47 am

I agree with Russ on this post. Do not use reference movies for now. It's best to use REDrushes and create media.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Oct 16, 2008 at 6:02:16 pm

Same here, just had problems with QT-refs from build 17 and none with ProRes files made in REDrushes.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]