FORUMS: list search recent posts

Original R3D Files vs 4k Quicktimes vs 2k QTs

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris rogers
Original R3D Files vs 4k Quicktimes vs 2k QTs
on Oct 7, 2008 at 8:34:55 pm

Hello Folks,

I'm just wondering if anyone has done tests and can say that there is a big difference(visually or otherwise) between;

1) A 4k R3D file downconverted and rendered as a 10bit DPX

2) A 4k Red Generated Quicktime file downconverted and rendered as a 10bit DPX.

and

3) A 2k Red Generated Quicktime file cross-converted and rendered as a 10bit DPX

And if so, what kind of display(HD Monitor /2k Projector?) were you using?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Original R3D Files vs 4k Quicktimes vs 2k QTs
on Oct 9, 2008 at 10:41:21 pm

First off, the best quality you can get is go reference the R3D file and debayer at full res. From my experience, this reduces the noise in the image and gives you a cleaner image.

I really only like using the RED reference movies if it's not the final product. Meaning, if I'm just using it for offline editing. This is because I have little control over how to interpret the image in the RED reference movies. I'd much rather use REDCine or RED Alert so I can change the parameters of the files.

But there is a difference between a full debayer and a half res debayer. Not on all shots, but I've seen it enough that I consider a full debayer render "best practices".

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Oct 10, 2008 at 11:38:31 pm

There is a noticeable difference. One of the easiest to spot defects in the camera proxies is aliased edges. There are other things to take into account... FCP can't do 4k (not that big a deal, how many 4k deliverables are called for at this time?), maximum colorspace is 4:2:2 YUV. RedCine & Scratch both work internally in floating point color precision, and can render to 16 bit floating point file format if that's needed (openEXR 16f).

My workflow is exclusively:

Cut offline in FCP via camera proxies or log & transfer'ed prores

generate EDL out of FCP

Conform EDL and grade in Scratch, output to DPX or whatever appropriate format.

regards,

John T.

John Tissavary | colorist | producer

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Oct 21, 2008 at 6:30:30 am

If your deliverables are HDTV, you can very well get away with the half (high) debayer in Redrushes. But beware: if you are doing night shots with longer exposure times, you may see sporadic white pixels flashing, which go away with a full debayer.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]