FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED workflow using FCP ProRes

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conor Flynn
RED workflow using FCP ProRes
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:52:45 pm

Hi,

I've been reading through the posts, but I can't find anything that directly answers my question, so forgive me if I'm repeating a previous posting.

My friend shot a short film at 4K with the RED 1 camera. I'm editing it for him on Final Cut Pro (v 6.0.4). When I started a few months ago, I was a little daunted by REDAlert and RedCine, and the FCP Log and Transfer function seemed to work so easily, that we decided to use that workflow. I logged and transferred all the footage on an Intel MacPro (2048x1024 / Apple ProRes 422 / 24p), and I am now doing my editing on an Intel iMac (working fine).

Our thought was that we'd finish to HDCam or D5, and if there was a need or desire to go back to 4K size at some point, we could do that later. I planned to edit and color correct at ProRes quality in FCP and output to tape using a KONA 3 card. I planned to crop off the sides of the image to fit it in a 16:9 frame. Obviously, since the ProRes files I'm working with are 2048x1024, I'm not quite filling a 1920x1080 frame top to bottom.

Looking back, I probably should have used REDAlert, RedCine, or Compressor to crop my source clips to 1920x1080 before I started editing. But from where I stand now, does anyone have any advice for my next step? I can blow up my image to 105% and then crop the sides to fill the 16:9 frame, but I'm reluctant to degrade the image that way. And I'd rather not leave letterboxing on the 16:9 HDCam or D5. The Log and Transfer function maintained the original source file time code. Has RED/Final Cut developed a dependable way to get back to the source files from a Final Cut Pro edit? EDL, XML? Would I then use RedCine or Crimson? I'd really appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks a lot,
Conor

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RED workflow using FCP ProRes
on Oct 2, 2008 at 9:42:15 am

Go Crimson.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Oct 4, 2008 at 4:30:47 am

I would suggest you look into using the Kona 3 to crop the output to 1920x1080. The feature is built into the lastest drivers (v6) for the card. It will crop and scale to 1080 much better than other methods of scaling.

Or if you use Crimson, just export your final edit at 1920x1080. It's a long render, but it's also a good option. If you have the time to render, render down from full res, high quality. It really helps to reduce noise in the footage.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

ozan salayi
on Oct 14, 2008 at 11:04:36 pm

A friend of mine also asked me to edit red one shot footages with final cut 6.0.4 .
He shot it on 4k so I'm donwsizing everything to 2k or something. But what kind of harddisk did you use? Do you have a raid hard disk system or can I just use an lacie external harddisk with firewire 400 or 800 ?
He has 1 hour video clip something like 170 gig on the red one harddisk.

At home I use an intel dual core imac and in the studio we've a 8 core. Can my intel handle this brutal files by the way?

Thanks,

Ozan

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Oct 15, 2008 at 4:31:53 am

What you need totally depends on what you convert the RED files to for editing and what you're finishing to.

For many people, encoding the RED files to ProRes HQ 1080P will be enough. So if you're system can playback ProRes files, you'll be fine.

Encoding files to ProRes can take a while depending settings, programs and hardware. The easiest thing to do is to use the Log and Transfer plug-in from RED's website. On your 8-core machine, it should only take 3-4 hours. The disadvantage with this is that you'll end up with 2k ProRes files instead of more broadcast friendly 1080P files.

There are so many other options out there, if you want more info, let us know how the footage will be used.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

ozan salayi
on Oct 15, 2008 at 9:15:08 am

I upgraded to final cut 6.0.4 and downloaded the required Log and Transfer plug-in from RED's website. The final clip will be send to a tv station they want it on a dvcam tape with pal resolution. It's an video clip so I'll end up with an video clip of 5 minutes.

So I've 1,5 hour footage some shot on 2k some on 4 k and 3k and they also want some parts with slow motion.
So your suggestion is to use the log and transfer within fcp. He'll convert everything to 2k footages. And then I can edit the footages within fcp.
Am I right?

And what about the hard disk because I've to copy everything from the red one harddisk to my own harddisk. But what kind of a harddisk can I use that can handle editing with this kind of big files.
Do I need a raid system with esata or something or can I use an external hardisk with fire wire 800?

Thanks for your help already, I really appreciate it :)

Ozan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]