FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red / FCP / Kona LHe or 3?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jahns
Red / FCP / Kona LHe or 3?
on Oct 1, 2008 at 7:38:02 pm

I'm doing some tests to prepare for a RED project, shot at 4K 16-9. Intended finish is HD-CAM SR 1080p. I have a KONA LHe with version 6.0 software, and an Octo-Core Mac Pro.

RedRushes seems to work fine for creating 1080 quicktimes, but it's very slow. (We're expecting 20 hours of footage). I'm also testing the FCP Log/transfer function, but it creates QTs at 2048 x 1152.

I can drop the 2K files in a 1080 timeline, and it seems to work ok (green render bar) - but my instincts are to make the timeline match the source format. Is there any way to work with those files in native 2K resolution and output 1080 from KONA LHe to my monitor & eventually, the HD-CAM SR deck? Do I need a KONA 3 to do that?

Also - turnaround is very quick, so we'll probably have to use the QTs as master files and use FCP / Color / Motion for online. We're NOT planning on the Crimson roundtrip process. Any suggestions or pitfalls to be aware of - other than make the best one-light we can!

Thanks for any help...

Dave Jahns
Joint Editorial

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Red / FCP / Kona LHe or 3?
on Oct 2, 2008 at 9:38:30 am

Crimson could be helpful in offline/online editing if your schedule is tight. Another option is using "Half Res High" in REDrushes instead of Full Debayer, it should be about 5 times faster and good enough for most HDTV work.

If you are working with the QT proxies or ProRes in FCP, take care to use 10 bit rendering in the timeline or you are going to loose quality (not all effects and transistions support it, though).

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Red / FCP / Kona LHe or 3?
on Oct 4, 2008 at 4:42:40 am

[David Jahns] "Is there any way to work with those files in native 2K resolution and output 1080 from KONA LHe to my monitor & eventually, the HD-CAM SR deck? Do I need a KONA 3 to do that?"

Kona 3 can downconvert from the 2k timeline to 1080 on output. Kona LHe can't.

[David Jahns] "Any suggestions or pitfalls to be aware of"

Color doesn't read the Red proxy files. You'll need to get to a different file somehow.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]