FORUMS: list search recent posts

wrokflow; red to color to film

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Garmen
wrokflow; red to color to film
on Sep 30, 2008 at 3:55:55 am

I am starting to work on a indie moevie. We are going to shoot with two red camera and post in with Final Cut Pro and color in Apple's Color and then go out to film.

I have been reading about the crimson work-flow, and about DPX file for color and all that fun stuff. The plan right now is to red rush the footage to something small, cut the film. Then using Crimson export the shot as 2K DPX files, use AJA QTtoDPX translator to make quick times file back to Final Cut. Final Cut to color and change out the Quicktime for the original DPX files and color the film and then finish in Final Cut and go to film.

My question is has anyone done this work flow? Is there anything I need to look out for? Is there a better way to do this? What do I need to fine out or do so that the film out goes smoothly?

I know the the red work flow is new to all of us, but there must some one who has done this work flow before. Any ideas or suggest of better work flow would be appreated.

thanks
Bill

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: wrokflow; red to color to film
on Sep 30, 2008 at 12:43:34 pm

Bill,

I have done this workflow and the results are beautiful. It has to be a combination of how you expose the camera, how you export the footage and how you do the DI.

I can not share the exact workflow because it would be unfair to the post house CINEBYTE in TORONTO, who did the film out. We put a lot of R&D and testing into this and the method does not involve ANY third party software (crimson, monkey extract, etc.).

There are about several (18 I think) ways to export your DPX files. They tested each one and put them all out to film to see what would translate best.

To me. The smartest thing to do with RED footage is to hand it to people who actually know a lot about this stuff and have been pushing pixels to film for a long time.

It's not the simple matter of providing some DPX sequences and expecting a 35mm miracle. Get who ever is going to do your film out to do the file extraction. It's smarter and will save you money.

They can conform a feature in two days there and the frames will be accurate.

unless you really understand film color space and how film responds to the file you are writing to it, you might not be getting the best out of your R3D movie.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]