Just shot a film in 4K with Red and I've been reading a lot about workflow but I've got to admit that it's all over the place. Even with the post-production houses I've talked to (they contradict each other).
I am looking for a trusted source that could be specific with the workflow for the following project:
- Mac = OS
- CFP = Editing software + for dissolves/fades (use QT_M proxies)
- AE = Compositor for FX + basic FX (cropping, rotation, blurs, etc.)
- Color = Color Correction software
- 3DMax and Maya = 3D FX software
- Crimson/RedCine = Red workflow
- Final output = HD
- The project is FX intensive as it is a supernatural thriller; the objective, of course, is to keep max quality at every step.
Can you point me in the right direction for practical advice?
I would look at using DPX sequences generated from RED Cine or RED rushes, and using those throughout your pipeline. It's max quality and flexible in post, since almost everything supports it. Good for VFX work as well as colour correction.
Work with 2K DPX files if you can. You'll need fast storage, and plenty of space...
Edit Out Ltd
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post