FORUMS: list search recent posts

2k output

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Phelan
2k output
on Sep 26, 2008 at 12:10:04 pm

I just took my first shot with my RED a couple of days ago. It was a couple of interviews for a church. Since I only have the 8GB CF cards at the moment, I decided to shoot the interviews in 2k to give myself more time. In my haste in setting up, I shot it with the shutter at 24, not 48, not sure how I overlooked that, but did. Nonetheless, the images are good enough and I've done a color correction in Red Alert then did a Log and Transfer into FCP. Everything seems to be working fine. But I am really groping in the dark as I bumble along in my learning the workflows of Red.

My question is this. I need to output to standard def for a church to playback on their standard def projection system. Every format I've tried to output to has some kind of aliasing/noise/gain, whatever you want to call it, showing up in the dark background wall that's in the shot. The people look fine, just that background is doing the funky chicken.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to make this look pleasing? Also, what would be the best output from the 2k? I don't have much time, but fortunately the clip I need for tomorrow is only five minutes long.

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: 2k output
on Sep 26, 2008 at 3:22:10 pm

One option is to use REDAlert, REDRushes, or REDCine to render out SD version. You'll want to use full resolution for down converting and if you have an option, try using Lanczos as the Resample Filter.

If you have a AJA Kona 3, you could just play it out to another computer or SD tape format and down convert it on output.

[Mark Phelan] "Also, what would be the best output from the 2k?"

What are you looking to go to?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Mark Phelan
on Sep 26, 2008 at 4:42:52 pm

Thanks. Don't have a Kona 3 card yet, so everything is being done inside of FCP on an Apple Cinema Display. As for output, to DVD Studio Pro for playback on a SD projection monitor.

Return to posts index

Mark Phelan
on Sep 26, 2008 at 5:38:35 pm

Thanks for the help, with help I was able to figure it out. The magic solution for this problem was to use a custom setting of 720 x 486 in ProRes HQ. Background issues went away. If anyone has any more insight, I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Return to posts index

Sam Roberts
on Sep 28, 2008 at 11:43:12 am

Over at REDuser they have suggested that one way to stop the aliasing when down converting to SD is to run the whole scene through a Gaussian filter with a very slight blur added. Apparently it won't be too noticeable but will stop the aliasing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]