FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conversion times on MacPro - r3d to DPX

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Tay
Conversion times on MacPro - r3d to DPX
on Sep 23, 2008 at 2:39:32 pm

Hi,

If I have a Mac Pro 3.2Ghz with 8GB RAM (or more maybe), how long will it take to convert a 1 hr of raw r3d materials to DPX, using one of the Red conversion tools (RedCine, RedRushes...etc) ?

Will having more RAM help ?

Thanks,

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Conversion times on MacPro - r3d to DPX
on Sep 23, 2008 at 4:10:05 pm

it works much better if you have at least 1gb of ram
per core.

Looks like you'll do just fine, not sure of the times though.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:48:55 am

[Christopher Tay] "If I have a Mac Pro 3.2Ghz with 8GB RAM (or more maybe), how long will it take to convert a 1 hr of raw r3d materials to DPX, using one of the Red conversion tools (RedCine, RedRushes...etc) ?
Will having more RAM help ?"

first it was good to see you at IBC...

the conversion time for 2K dpx frames is still in around 15-20X for conversion, I find REDRushes to handle the files faster with better folder organization than REDCine does.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Sep 24, 2008 at 10:34:13 pm

For ProRes I'm seeing a 47:1 ratio with full debayer, 10:1 ration with half (high) and 7:1 with half (standard) on my 2.8 GHz Octo with 16 GB RAM.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
on Sep 28, 2008 at 5:51:08 am

Hi Uli,

For the ProRes transfer, is this via Log & Transfer in FCP or using RED Cine ?

If there a big visual difference between full and half debayer ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Sep 28, 2008 at 2:57:56 pm

I'm only using REDrushes these days, it's stable and is using all settings I tweak in REDAlert – Log & Transfer doesn't.

Full debayer and half debayer are not radically different if you scale to 2K. You may see a tad of roughness on texture with fine black and white detail and little bit more noise on dark footage, but nothing very obvious.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
on Sep 29, 2008 at 10:09:34 am

Hi Uli,

So you need to tweak the settings in REDAlert first before converting them in REDRushes ?

Can you do that in REDRushes itself ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 29, 2008 at 12:27:29 pm

[Christopher Tay] "So you need to tweak the settings in REDAlert first before converting them in REDRushes ? "

Nope

It has to have the RSX data file created in RedAlert to process correctly

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Sep 29, 2008 at 8:56:49 pm

REDrushes ist just a batch processor, the visual tweaking can only be done in REDAlert.

And it's quite helpful to do a first-light before converting to ProRes, since it's 10 bit vs. 12 bit in the sources.

Regards,

Uli

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Oct 4, 2008 at 4:39:03 am

[Christopher Tay] "If there a big visual difference between full and half debayer ? "

I would say that it depends on the footage. For me though, I've seen a big enough difference to where if I have time, I would definitely use full instead of half.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

cow
Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 12, 2008 at 3:18:34 pm

Chrispy,

Good to see you at IBC. So I see you're getting into Red.

You spoke of r3d to DPX. At NAB, Bob showed me a workflow using GlueTools and Compressor. I have GlueTools but haven't tried this out.

Why not write to Bob Monaghan at GlueTools. I remember him mentioning at NAB that his Red-DPX workflow was even more efficient than the Red process.

I have used RedRushes as well as the Log and Transfer tool. Both are slow. And the fact that you don't see anything happening like in a normal Log and Capture with tape, means it 'seems' even slower. You shouldn't do this with a client around.

The other thing to explore is to use the proxy QTs to edit, and then Crimson to convert to DPX only the frames you need.

Neil Sadwelkar

FCP Editor, Mumbai, India.
Completely PAL.

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
on Oct 12, 2008 at 4:44:25 pm

Hey Neil...good to see you at IBC too. Well...can't seem to avoid RED at the moment. The subject of "how to work with RED" never fail to come up in every conversation lately.

Yeah I've been reading about the slow conversion process and editing with the QT proxies has its limitation as well.

Will check with Bob of GlueTools to see what tricks he has.

Cheers,

-chrispy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 13, 2008 at 11:25:36 am

[Neil Sadwelkar] "Why not write to Bob Monaghan at GlueTools. I remember him mentioning at NAB that his Red-DPX workflow was even more efficient than the Red process. "

Sorry Guys

Bob does not have any RED specific workflows- GT is just for handling the DPX /Cineon workflow in FCP and does not do a direct conversion from RED's r3d format.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]