FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow questions - newbie

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Johnston
Workflow questions - newbie
on Sep 19, 2008 at 12:48:35 am

Hi Everyone,

So I'm new to editing with red footage and have been trying to read on the different approaches to edit red footage, but feel it is all making me more confused.

I have:
macbook pro
2.4 Ghz processor
4 GB RAM
Leopard 10.5.5
FCP 6.0.4
The latest Log and Transfer Plug in as well as redcodec
I have redAlert and redCine.
And that's about all that I have.

I have a Lacie 1 TB external hard drive that I am going to be using to store everything because my internal hard drive has hardly anymore space on it .

I am editing a 22 minute film shot on 4K and have almost 2TB of footage.

So basically I would like some straightforward advise as what some of you think would be my best workflow (from beginning to end) and if you could back it up.

Also in terms of the very first step, must I go through redcine/alert before I log and transfer it into FCP? I was just going to go straight to FCP using ProRes, but have been reading otherwise..or so I think??

I really did try looking all these questions up for myself before posting this question, so please don't think I'm just being lazy.. I'm honestly just very confused :-/

I appreciate any help in advance!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Workflow questions - newbie
on Sep 19, 2008 at 2:03:54 am

What is the delivery format? Most of the workflow would be decided by knowing that first.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnston
on Sep 19, 2008 at 12:50:49 pm

I would like to finish to HD DVD. Thanks!

http://www.drewjohnston.com
http://www.lazytrumpet.com

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Sep 19, 2008 at 1:19:01 pm

A ProRes workflow would be fine then.

You have two possibilities, depending on the amount of VXF and shooting ratio:

Online-version, converting all your footage to ProRes in REDrushes after a first-light in REDAlert if needed. Needs lots of rendering time if your shooting ratio is high, but is more responsive in FCP.

Offline/online version, editing with the proxies in FCP, conforming the edit with Crimson, converting to ProRes and finishing in FCP and Color. Less transcoding, but uncomfortable in FCP.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]