FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes Keying Problems from Red footage

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Illya Laney
ProRes Keying Problems from Red footage
on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:47:25 am

I'm posting this in the After Effects forum and here. So when I use RedRushes to convert to ProRes HQ and use Keylight in After Effects for keying, I'm getting a weird "bug." Instead of of the green screen being keyed out, it is partially keyed and the rest of the image is turning a nasty dark pink color. I've converted the footage to 10 bit 422 and it works fine, just the ProRes has problems. Also, If I end up just using the 10 bit for compositing do you guys know of any problems arising later on in the workflow? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: ProRes Keying Problems from Red footage
on Sep 19, 2008 at 2:02:15 am

What exactly is the 10 bit 422 frame size? If you don't resize, I don't see there would be a big problem here.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Sep 19, 2008 at 2:55:21 am

Thanks for responding. I just ended up using DV Garage in Final Cut for a rough key then went and did the final composite in After Effects with the 10 bit 422. The Pro Res was resized for editing offline while the 10 bit was converted to 1920x1080 fit to width and it looks amazing. I think Keylight just wasn't jiving with Pro Res. On a side note, is it just me or does the Pro Res color look slightly washed out compared to other high def codecs?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Sep 19, 2008 at 7:16:08 am

Watch out when going from FCP to AE. ProRes is a YUV codec, while AE is strictly RGB, so there's always some conversion involved. While ProRes is a great codec inside Apple's Pro Apps, I'd rather use 16 bit TIFFs or DPXs when going to AE.
Be sure to use only floating point aware filters and plug-ins inside FCP as well, or you'll ruin the quality. There's a good white paper at coremelt, even if it's incorrect about Red's QT proxies only delivering 8 bit.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]