FORUMS: list search recent posts

_H proxy from FCP straight to D5

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carmen Del Toro
_H proxy from FCP straight to D5
on Sep 10, 2008 at 10:19:10 pm

Hi there creatives tech:

quick question about a quick red workflow, can I print out to a D5 straight out of FCP6.0.4,??? choosing my _H proxy, rendering it in the timeline as 10 bit high YUV.

Just trying to make the quickest turn around to an avid editor who is in love with capturing off from tape.

Best,

-CDT
Media wrangler

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
Re: _H proxy from FCP straight to D5
on Sep 11, 2008 at 3:50:53 am

You can, but since the QT redcode component that reads the Raw files for QT and FCP only does a pseudo de-bayer, you'll have a noticeably inferior image than had you played out from Scratch to D5.

I'm assuming you only have time for real-time output - Scratch is the only software that will get you real-time playout with a true debayer, and then still only on dual quad skulltrail-based systems.

If you don't need real-time, then I'd suggest transcoding the RAW footage ahead of the edit, using RedRushes/RedAlert, RedCine, or Scratch, then editing, then playing out to D5 from FCP.

cheers,

John T.

John Tissavary | colorist | producer

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Sep 12, 2008 at 1:20:47 pm

The "H" reference movie (it's not a proxy, it's a high quality reference movie) uses the same extraction process from the RAW as Scratch does to get it's real time 2k output and should therefore be the same quality. (It should look very good, but there are circumstances where 2k downsampled from the full 4k extraction will look better).

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Sep 14, 2008 at 2:09:10 pm

Hi Graeme,

will these circumstances include low-light situations, as somebody claimed on reduser, or only patterns prone to chroma aliasing?

TIA,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Sep 15, 2008 at 12:21:50 am

Proper downsample from 4k will help with any high detail areas to avoid aliasing, and reduce noise also.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Sep 15, 2008 at 11:50:53 am

Your bigger problem is being able to play _H file in FCP in real-time. Usually, you have to change the RTextreme quality from High to Medium. This a big quality loss. It would probably be better to import using the Log and Transfer to ProRes.

There are several issues to consider.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]