FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on purchase

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Mullen
Advice on purchase
on Sep 6, 2008 at 7:01:14 pm

Scarlet and Epic are coming, the Red One waitlist is months long... It feels like a tough time to decide to go in and buy a Red One to build a small production company around. Got a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other: a.) it's only gonna get tougher, b.) maybe in six months something will make it all easy...

I'd love any advice regular users might have on this - are the cameras out working? Is there a feature set that everyone is just dying for and is right around the corner? Is one of the new models going to be a better small/midsize workhorse, and with the chance to get in the fray and possibly not wait on a list is it worth holding out a little longer?

Of course I know many will want to keep their business strategies close to the vest; I'm just looking for a few words of en/discouragement to weigh in with the rest of the info I've heard and found myself.

Thanks for playing along-

Return to posts index

paul Provost
Re: Advice on purchase
on Sep 7, 2008 at 5:02:20 pm

it's just a piece of gear. if you can make money with it buy it. something will always be "around the corner".

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Advice on purchase
on Sep 8, 2008 at 4:15:48 pm

Agreed, one thing that RED has been very consistent with is divulging their road map, so any huge change to any of their cameras is likely to be announced long before they are "obsolete" (very unlike their competitors).

The cameras are flash-able and so new features will not be wholly dependent upon new hardware. I'd think if you can make a buck now, get in line. Scarlet and Epic are still under development, and their specs may change a bit etc, before they ship. Further, there's no solid date for shipment of them either. Epic? how many people need more resolution than a Red One is doing? Probably not that many. I'll wager that 95% of the shoots being done now and in the near future will deliver HD.

Since RED isn't accepting pre-orders for the upcoming cameras, if you're not in line the day they announce they are taking orders, you might be waiting longer than if you got in the RED One line now, especially if you're looking at a Scarlet... My guts say they'll sell 50,000 cameras the first year, and they will be in a back order situation real quick with it. Epic? dunno... likely not going to be as big a rush to buy one. Red One is working, making money and is very "healthy" right now. Everyone I know that has one is working it a lot. Why not, best picture under a WHOLE lot more money out there.

Always comes down to what you can make a buck with now though... if you can use and make money with a RED One... jump now. RED's been pretty good about refunding money or allowing people to wait longer or whatever when the time comes to really pay for the rest of the gear you've ordered from them.

Camera decisions are always dependent upon what you need to do of course... don't need a super shallow depth of field or interchangeable lenses? Wait. Do? I'd not wait.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]