FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redcine output question

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Swanson
Redcine output question
on Sep 5, 2008 at 8:29:35 pm

It appears I'm getting a bit of grain/noise while outputting to a 1080p prores quicktime. I've been experimenting with some settings and while doing so also had quite a few output issues with a kind of sparkle type noise. usually I get this type of noise with a high quality full process setting.

My question is: what do you think the best settings should be for a 1080p prores output?

Also, and maybe I should create a new thread for this but, I'm also confused as to what settings my project format should be. I have it set to rec709 and redspace gamma. This all assuming an HD output to prores.

Craig

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
HD One 8 drive Raid 5
QT 7.5
FCP 6.04

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
Re: Redcine output question
on Sep 5, 2008 at 9:28:14 pm

You'll want your camera color space (the one on the left) to be either Redspace or CameraRGB, not rec709.

The scintillation effect seems to be happening to a bunch of people, and though I haven't experienced it (I use Scratch which while similar to RedCine is different in how it handles color), it seems to be a value wrapping problem.

Selecting the right combo of color space / lut (CameraRGB and Rec709 for instance) could fix it, and if that doesn't, try lowering saturation - some have reported that as a solution. Though my suspicion is that it's a phenomenon of incorrect colorspace selection.

regards,

John T.

John Tissavary | colorist | producer

Return to posts index

Craig Swanson
on Sep 5, 2008 at 9:58:44 pm

Thanks John. Yes I have fixed that scintillation effect by lowering the saturation. Also, since I am going to output to hd it's safe to assume my gamma setting should be rec 709. Right?

Craig

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
HD One 8 drive Raid 5
QT 7.5
FCP 6.04

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Sep 6, 2008 at 2:32:55 am

yes, you should be fine w. Rec 709 as your output gamma.

cheers,

John T.

John Tissavary | colorist | producer

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Sep 9, 2008 at 3:23:32 pm

I find REDspace is a more pleasing color space to use as the output gamma but it does take away some latitude.

Rec 709 seems to have a slightly more cartoonish color rendition than REDspace.

I's test a few frames, grade them and then decide on a color space. REDlog will give you better bit depth, but some people freak out at the raised blacks.

For a straight to video finish I like REDspace.

Film out is a completely different beast.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]