FORUMS: list search recent posts

all kinds of problems getting started

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Gould
all kinds of problems getting started
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:36:10 am

Hi. So I'm new to the RED and am finding the learning curve steep. I'm cutting a ten minute, non-dialogue short film, and I promised a fast turnaround for Sundance deadline, but have spent my first day stuck in a mire...

Here are my issues:

1. I tried converting the files to Pro Res HQ in Log and Transfer, but when I tried to transfer them an error message occurred. Perhaps my settings were wrong? Not sure how to change them. I'm used to have footage delivered ready to cut, or just capturing off DV.

2. I tried converting in REDrushes and got an error message.

3. I am now trying to convert to ProRes in Compressor, but that's taking FOREVER, and I don't have that kind of time--about an hour and a half of footage--to transfer everything like this before cutting. And I don't know if it will work.

3. I tried just cutting the 'P' proxy file (the only one that would play in realtime), which seemed like it might work until FCP started crashing about every third time I try to do anything.

I'm stumped and frustrated. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Leopard 10.5.4
2GHz Intel Core Duo
2GB RAM

FCP 6.0.4

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: all kinds of problems getting started
on Aug 12, 2008 at 4:21:14 am

You could try loading all the clips or perhaps 1/3 of them at a time in RedCine then outputing them as pro res there.

I spent the weekend converting clips in this manner.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:51:28 pm

[Tom Gould] "Here are my issues: "

you have a number of them

you need to make sure that you are on the most current versions of the software for everything-

RED recommends 1G Ram per processor and I remember a 4G min for 4K work.

You do not need full debayer. 1/2 debayer is fine for HD
Compressor is only an 8bit conversion from the proxies.

Laptop or Desktop computer- with no mention off an array- these file are HUGE and reading and writing these files to the same hard drive can increase the encoding time but as much as 300%!

its all about workflow.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Tom Gould
on Aug 14, 2008 at 10:37:00 pm

Thank you both for your responses. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, just been busy cutting away. I was able to figure out how to cut with the proxies without it crashing. My settings were incorrect,
and found ones that worked here,
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=170194#post170194,
in case anyone is interested.

My plan now is to use Red Rushes (assuming I can get it to work) to convert the R3D files to ProRes HQ, then relink to these in FCP.

What's a debayer? I have no idea what that's referring to.

Also, yes, forgot to mention. Working on a macbook pro rented expressly for this edit (I'm still on PowerPC at home), files are on external firewire drive. Also, my R3D files are 2K and 1K, if that makes a difference.

If anyone has any tips or advice to get me through once I've got my cut done, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

Cheers,
Tom

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Aug 15, 2008 at 10:59:06 pm

[Tom Gould] "What's a debayer? I have no idea what that's referring to."

"The DeBayer filter is used to convert raw image data into an RGB image. In a raw color image, every pixel represents a value for one basic color, instead of three as is the case for an RGB image. In order to get a real color image, the two missing colors have to be interpolated. This is exactly what this filter does."

I just wrapped my first shoot/edit with RED and despite some hiccups in the workflow due to not having enough ram in a macbook to batch convert 30 clips from .r3d to prores .mov, I really really like the images.

it was impressive enough to get a long time 35mm client to switch to RED from now on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]