FORUMS: list search recent posts

Build 16 FCP L&T reverts to metadata lookup

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heath Comeadow
Build 16 FCP L&T reverts to metadata lookup
on Jul 31, 2008 at 1:14:01 am

Hi,

I'm posting some build 16 footage and when I attempt to Log & Transfer / Trancode to Apple ProRes in FCP the footage seems to be reverting to the camera / metadata RGB. Is there a way to select / apply RedSpace to the log & transfer footage?

My tests with previous builds using log and transfer resulted in much more saturated and contrasted footage, and before anyone suggests it's the QT gamma dilemma, I think it has more to do with how previous builds transcoded from the proxies while build 16 transcodes from the R3D file. I'd use Red Alert but the render times are very bad and I'd use Red Rushes but it crashes every time I hit the render button. I'd use the proxies in compressor, but the lookup isn't quiet right and some files render all garbled with green and blue squares across a third of the screen and the image split in thirds and re-arranged - i.e. an unusable mess.

Thanks for any assistance.
Heath.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Build 16 FCP L&T reverts to metadata lookup
on Jul 31, 2008 at 2:44:41 pm

You can save settings in RedAlert and use them in L&T, but curves are not supported.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Heath Comeadow
on Aug 1, 2008 at 12:41:12 am

I assume you save an rdx file from Red Alert into the R3d and proxy folder, which I know how to do. But how do you then select that setting with FCP L&T?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Aug 1, 2008 at 2:14:23 pm

No, you go under "File" in RedAlert and do a "Save Preset". This will generate an RLX file, which you can access in L&T.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Heath Comeadow
on Aug 2, 2008 at 1:18:12 pm

Thanks for the tip. I still can't figure out how to load RLX in FCP L&T.

I ended up making RLX files in Red Alert then batch processing with Redrushes. I'd prefer to use Redcine, but some of my shots imported as entirely black frames - the only difference I could see between the ones that open and don't was the color temperature. 5600 worked, shots with 7000 kelvin default didn't.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Aug 2, 2008 at 1:27:22 pm

Sorry, can't help you then, it works fine for me as described.

Have you tried RedRushes instead?

Regards,

Uli

Return to posts index

Kimberly White
on Aug 11, 2008 at 11:11:12 pm

I get how to save the preset, but HOW EXACTLY do you "access it in L&T"?
I know it's a needy question, but I've looked all over and just don't see it!
Thanks

Mac 10.5.4
Quad-Core Intel
8GB Memory
FCP 6.0.4

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:20:20 am

In the Log & Transfer window there is a little gear icon right under the name of the window. Click on it and go down to the last entry, called "RED FCP Log & Transfer Plugin", go for it and the submenu should show your settings. If not, you have a different configuration than me.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Return to posts index

Kimberly White
on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:45:36 am

Yeah, I suspected it was supposed to be in that gear pulldown but all I have for options there are other presets: "Native, Tungsten, Daylight, Warm, and Sepia."

But thanks, I now know I'm not missing something else and will try to get my preset to get into that menu somehow.

Thanks!

Mac 10.5.4
Quad-Core Intel
8GB Memory
FCP 6.0.4

Return to posts index

Kimberly White
on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:53:09 am

Got it!

I had been saving everything in a special RedTests folder, but the RLX preset needs to be saved in the provided application support preset folder of course. Basic.

Thanks for the help, on to bigger and better conundrums!

Mac 10.5.4
Quad-Core Intel
8GB Memory
FCP 6.0.4

Return to posts index

Heath Comeadow
on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:58:23 am

So does that mean you can only have one grade per input instead of per shot?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Aug 12, 2008 at 11:16:38 pm

Yeah, that's the way it works. But since I'd normally just do a first light here, I found it quite useful, applying the same correction to several shots with similar shooting conditions.

If you want individual corrections, RedRushes is great.

Regards,

Uli

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:36:30 pm

Just got here a year late;

Is there a way to copy the RED Alert .rlx file into the Final Cut file structure? Where does Final Cut keep the default .rlx files like "Daylight" and "Tungsten", etc.? - or do those come from RED Alert also?

I am working on a shared system, and the Library/App support/ RED Alert/ presets folder path doesn't exist. I am guessing that its due to the way its loaded on our systems.

I get where to choose the preset, and even where to save it; I just can't access the proper folder.

Thanks,
D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.7
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 Quicktime 7.6

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:35:10 pm

Problem Solved: The administrator built the folder path and copied it to the proper place, and now FCP sees everything.

Thanks,
D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.7
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 Quicktime 7.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.8
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Heath Comeadow
on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:54:47 am

My presets are the same. I can't work out how to load the RLX grade in FCP L&T either.

I ended up using RedRushes to transcode. I hope they fix Redcine soon, I'd prefer to use that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]