FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED --> AVID Workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Falkenhagen
RED --> AVID Workflow
on Jul 11, 2008 at 10:19:36 am

Are there some people working on Avid and having a good workflow between the RED, REDCINE and Avid. Of course I'm looking for the most direct and lossless way.

Thanks for sharing!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED --> AVID Workflow
on Jul 15, 2008 at 3:23:13 am

I just helped a friend by using a MAC and running the files through compressor (with audio) to the AVID DNX codec. The 1080 files we generated looked great when compressed for the WEB (which was the the final delivery).

I know this requires a MAC but it worked really well.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Daniel Falkenhagen
on Jul 16, 2008 at 10:28:36 am

Thanks but I already have good workflow going on a Mac through Redcine, FCP, Crimson using proxy files for quick editing and onlining, then renderering whatever I want. The DNxHD quicktimes for Avid are good to use, but I want to have them without using a Mac, just Redcine and Avid. I can't render anything useful on Windows from Redcine, usuable for Avid Media Composer 3.0 HD, except tiff sequences.

What i'm looking for is a format I can render/use as low-res and hi-res material as on Mac without using one... just Redcine and Avid...

Anyone??

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 16, 2008 at 5:07:31 pm

Why not go that Photo Jpeg route then?

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Daniel Falkenhagen
on Jul 17, 2008 at 12:16:32 pm

Because it sucks :P

I would just like to have nice way of using RED files, as I am using for example XDCAM and loading XDCAM Proxy material just as I want to load Digibeta footage 10:1 and batch capture my edit 1:1 aswell as HDCAM. Those ways I have everything low-res or hi-res if it's not too much footage and also with audio.

Also the Avid codec DNxHD for Quicktime is really good compressed and is fast to work with for me than having a jpg/tiff sequence imported in Avid and then exporting.

I can't believe there's nobody having a good way to work with it on Avid.

Anyone???

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 20, 2008 at 4:52:34 pm

[Daniel Falkenhagen] "I can't believe there's nobody having a good way to work with it on Avid."

There are BUNCHES of people doing it, and have been for a long time.

Start with a GREAT article by Dylan Reeve. It's a recent addition to the Cow library about his experience with run-and-gun RED production for the NZ equivalent of the 48-hour film festival.

One of the things he points out is that Avid offers huge advantages for real-time output that FCP doesn't. He talks very specifically about this, and other aspects of his RED workflow with Avid here.

Another cool aspect of the story: they won top prize from among 250 entrants in Auckland....

Tim

Tim Wilson
Associate Director, CreativeCow.net
Associate Publisher, Creative Cow Magazine!

Return to posts index

Dylan Reeve
on Jul 22, 2008 at 1:56:44 am

[Daniel Falkenhagen] "I can't believe there's nobody having a good way to work with it on Avid.

Anyone???"

The key thing about using RED in Avid is Quicktime support. The RED QT Component is fantastic as it provides a direct debayered output at various resolutions from the R3D file. This makes it possible to directly import the QT reference files into Avid at media.

However, at present that QT component is only available for Mac. Although a PC version is promised.

In Windows the only useful RED tool is Redcine. There are limitation in the way it interfaces with Quicktime that means it has difficulty producing DNxHD media. However Michael Philips from Avid is working with RED on this issue and it should be greatly improved in the near future.

If you have a copy of Avid Media Composer or Xpress Pro the dongle can be used on either a Mac or a PC, so if you have a Mac available the easiest way is usually going to be import directly from RED QT files into Avid on a Mac, then if necessary take the resulting Avid media elsewhere to edit. This workflow is fairly simple and is getting easier.

Return to posts index

Daniel Falkenhagen
on Jul 23, 2008 at 10:02:20 am

Hi to all of you and thank you very much for the replies.

Of course there are people having workflows between Red and Avid.
People are shooting whole films on it. I think I had to be more specific and tell that I worked on a HP 8600 Workstation, Windows XP.

Mac and Avid using QT references sounds really usefull, and that's what I'm looking for with PC. But it seems I have to wait a while for that. Isn't there are R3D file converter to QT refs, I read something about that in "under the gun" story.

Greets and thanks

Return to posts index

Dylan Reeve
on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:06:15 pm

It is possible to generate QT reference files from the R3D but the QT reference is dependent on the system having the RED QT Component installed, which is presently only available for Mac.

The only RED tool, at this stage, that works in Windows is Redcine. IT can output DNxHD, but there are issues around the codec support which Avid and RED are working on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]