FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Space for HD finish

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Krickow
Color Space for HD finish
on Jun 27, 2008 at 12:25:29 am

I have a Red color space question... In my case going from Redcine- Camera RGB, Redlog- export Prores HQ. When I grade in Color do I need to use a LUT or overide color space in order to color correct for a HDCAM/SR finish? My understanding is that if I use Redlog to preserve the latitude of the image and color grade on a HD monitor without ever using LUTs or changing color space I'll naturally be in the proper color space (Rec.709) for a HD finish. Am I correct, or is there something I'm missing?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Color Space for HD finish
on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:32:04 pm

Ryan,

If you plan on finsihing in PRORES, then you will be in the REC 709 color space in order to output the timeline (through a Kona or Decklink).

My advice to you would be to export a test clip in a few different formats and see which one is giving you:
1. The most latitude.
2. The most accurate color reproduction.
3. The closest image to what you got on the day.

If you can, you should really use REDSPACE to export the footage as I have noticed it has very good color and latitude reproduction. Even build 15 footage looks great through REDSPACE.

If you want to use REDlog that is fine, but I think it is very important for you to run a few short test to make sure you are actually getting the most latitude in the ProRes file.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:59:50 pm

[David Battistella] "Even build 15 footage looks great through REDSPACE. "

I just transfered build 15 footage through the new beta of REDCINE using REDSPACE and it seemed to be the best option. I like how it effected the colors and the latitude.

So even though I used REDSPACE to transfer it, because I transfered it to ProRes, I'm now in Rec709 for the rest of the show, not REDSPACE. Just thought I'd add that for clarification.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 27, 2008 at 3:04:09 pm

Russell,

Excellent point. Once you are in prores it is REC709. Redspace is just a really nice way to get there.

David

Read my Blog

Return to posts index

Ryan Krickow
on Jun 27, 2008 at 11:59:37 pm

Ok, thank you- that was the piece I was missing. So, if Prores is Rec. 709 then I shouldn't have to deal with any LUTs or Color Space overrides in Color if I'm calibrating the Apple Cinema Display and HDTV monitors as well as using a Matrox MXO? I'll finish on HDCAM/SR which is Rec. 709 so what I see on the monitors is what I'll get, correct?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 28, 2008 at 4:21:25 am

Once you are in FCP you'll be in REC 709 so you will be calibrated to whatever monitor you are using as a reference.

David

Read my Blog

Return to posts index

gary adcock
WAS Re: Color Space for HD Finish NOW REC 709
on Jun 28, 2008 at 1:37:20 pm

OK

let me clear up a couple of misconceptions here.

the REC 709 color space is a SMPTE specified color space that includes
both full value YUV AND all of RGB's recordable color space at IRE's from -10 to + 110

REC 709 is a loosely used term for 4:2:2 HD as single link monitoring,
but it can also be used for display of Dual Link 4:4:4 RGB and YUV materials.

REC 709 does not include the LOG space info from RED, Viper, Arri or Sony cameras.
SRW decks can record REC 709 and / or LOG content.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]