FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would you solve this frame rate issue?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Factora
How would you solve this frame rate issue?
on Jun 26, 2008 at 8:08:02 am

Client has provided me with 156 folders of RED qt's.

Half footage was shot at 24fps. The other half are at 59.94. %^

I'm thinkin the 59.94 files are for slowmo effects.

I have the Sequence set at REDCODE. the 24fps work fine but the 59.94 show a redline and play Green. (although when the timeline is parked a perfect frame will show on the Canvas monitor.)

Can the FCP timeline support 2 different fps? Is there a specific process I would use to batch slowmo all the different clips?

Also, is there a workflow posted regarding FCP workflow when working online and offline on RED files?

Thanks in advance,

-p

fcp 6.03
Macbook Pro 2.4 duocore 2gb Ram

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: How would you solve this frame rate issue?
on Jun 26, 2008 at 6:52:35 pm

Paul,

With all due respect, if anyone was chaging from a 23.98 project to a 59.94 project in order to shoot speed on a RED camera, they have NO CLUE how the system works,

IN 23.98 you can shoot up to 120fps on the red drive and 113 fps on the CF card.

IN 59.94 you could do the same.

This is a case of operator error.

The RED acts exactly like film with SLOMO it is not like a tape based (P2 style flagged frame slomo) it actually records ALL of the frames you ask it to.

You should get a hold of the RED manual and you'll see that the project frame rate (23.98 and 59.94 are VERY different from the VARISPEED.

There is not really an edit system that will handle footage shot at both 23.98 and 59.94, ONE will need to be converted to the other (have a fun time trying to accomplish this)
So you have to decide if the project in the edit timeline will be 23.98 or 59.94 IT CAN NOT BE BOTH.

Which means: Pick what ever there is less of and convert it to whatever there is more off (provided you can actually find a decent tool to do this conversion. It's hard enough with Tape but I can not image how difficult this is going to be with RED.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have been down this road and it is dark and ugly.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: How would you solve this frame rate issue?
on Jun 27, 2008 at 6:13:13 pm

Apart from David being absolutely right about operator error, you can use the footage (if it was meant for slo-mo) by exporting it in it's original speed from RedCine or RedAlert as a QT ProRes file. Open the clips in Cinema Tools and conform the frame-rate to 23,98 and use them in a sequence set to that rate. Voilá : slo-mo!

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]