FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Way to Sync Audio?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conor Flynn
Best Way to Sync Audio?
on Jun 25, 2008 at 10:18:33 pm

I'm using Final Cut Pro (v6.0.3) to edit a short film that was shot with the RED Camera. The Log and Transfer ingest method seems to be working great, so I'm happy with that. My question is about the workflow for audio.

The audio during the shoot was captured on a separate digital recording device. They used a clapboard slate, so I'll be able to sync the audio with the video, but how do I keep it in sync? Right now, I have Pro Res QuickTime files for the video and .wav files for the audio. I can sync them in the timeline, but the source files themselves will still be separate. I want to avoid syncing, exporting every synced take as a QT, and then reimporting them. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to sync the footage and keep it in sync? This may be more of a Final Cut Pro question than a RED question, but I'd appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks,
Conor

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Best Way to Sync Audio?
on Jun 25, 2008 at 10:43:27 pm

What you want to do is to create "Merged clips"... if you search FCP's online manual in Help, you'll find out how... it's pretty easy, and will create clips that are audio/video as if you'd recorded the audio in camera with the video...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Conor Flynn
on Jun 26, 2008 at 12:41:37 am

Thanks, Jerry. That's just what I was looking for.
-Conor

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 26, 2008 at 12:15:11 pm

[Conor Flynn] "Does anyone have a suggestion for how to sync the footage and keep it in sync? "

As jerry suggested you need to merge the audio and video, but he left out one very important point-

you ALSO need to convert the audio to 48K Aiff files. DO NOT use wav. inside of FCP files for this , they require extra CPU processing and that is likely the issue causing the drift, since the audio files as WAV's need as to be processed separately each and every time they are played back.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Conor Flynn
on Jul 9, 2008 at 9:32:26 pm

Thanks for the info, Gary. I'm just seeing your post now. I was hoping you could give me a little more information because I wasn't aware of any trouble with .wav files in Final Cut Pro. I almost always use .aiff audio files in Final Cut. However, since I received hundreds of 48K .wav files from the shoot, and the FCP manual said .wav files worked fine in Final Cut, I decided not to go through with the trouble of converting them all.

So far they haven't been giving me any trouble. I'm not having sync issues. You say that they are more taxing on the CPU? I've already merged most of the clips. Would you recommend that I still convert the files to .aiffs? Can I just make the audio clips offline, then relink them to the converted .aiffs?

Thanks a lot,
Conor

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Dec 16, 2008 at 1:17:08 am

Just saw this thread by chance and do have some commets - even if it might be too late.

I do not see any better performance of AIF against WAV files. Both are supported as (uncompressed) files file formats since the very beginning of QuickTime.
Over the years there had been some changes. Apple created it's own version of AIF which is still uncompressed but may appear at some apps as compressed.
WAV files do allow to have metadata - with their "BWAV way" which is recorded by standard audio HDRs.
Most applications including Final Cut Pro will allow to read this metadata which will include: timestamp, scene, take, note and reel. So this "extended" WAV format is way superior compared to the "flat" AIF format.
But note the difference between timestamp and timecode!!!

Anyway- again my personal opinion is: never change an existing WAV to AIF, better you do it the other way round, if got the tools.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]