FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Problems (CAN'T SHOOT WEST!!!!)

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Lasson
RED Problems (CAN'T SHOOT WEST!!!!)
on Jun 25, 2008 at 6:39:15 pm

So on a shoot we had yesterday, we had a really strange problem towards the end of the day, THE CAMERA WOULD SHUT OFF ANYTIME WE POINTED IT TO THE WEST!!!! I have no idea what was causing it.

We were using build 15. I just wanted to ask other people, how much down time have you had on set because the camera would just shut off?

Has anyone been having problems with the camera shutting off in build 16?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
Re: RED Problems (CAN'T SHOOT WEST!!!!)
on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:13:52 pm

That is freaking WEIRD!!!!!
The new build is probably pissed off the Lakers lost :(
Just kidding.... still weird though!

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Online Editor
Ph: 310.826.9199
AIM: stuart.colorist
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

"HD, 2K & RED Post Production for Indies at Affordable Rates"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 25, 2008 at 11:13:52 pm

Could it be that something in the rig was causing stress to the power unit and disconnecting it?

I like Stuart's reasoning too.

I was going to say that it didn't like looking back home and considered itself an East Coast film maker. Perhaps when you land east of the Mississippi River the camera will behave a bit more like it should.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Jun 26, 2008 at 2:10:08 am

The Lakers! That's it!!!!

I wasn't on set, but after talking around a little bit, it seems the RED ONE is very picky about power. My guess is that it's something related to that. They could have been using some sort of motorized control that they were adjusting very time it turned west and it shut the camera down.

It was very funny listening to the guys where were on the shoot trying to explain what was happening.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 26, 2008 at 5:43:38 am

Well, in the old times only the east was red…

But I'd also point to the power connections if you were running off battery.
Slide back the plastic plate over the connectors and have a closer look at them. They are metal tubes which are not closed, but just rounded metal sheets. After some use they tend to get pressed together in some cases and loose contact. Widen them just a tad, very carefully, and they should work again, at least it helped with one of our batteries which lost contact independent of the compass.

The Red is a brilliant camera with far better images than what you pay for, but the mechanical quality is just what you'd expect at this price point – it's not from Arri…

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 26, 2008 at 7:57:54 pm

If the problem was due to the Lakers woes, then your camera wouldn't work when it was facing EAST.

Although it turns out that the Lakers weren't shooting all that well in ANY direction....

Tim
Boston, MA

Return to posts index

Paul Harrill
on Jul 2, 2008 at 2:22:09 am

Ok, I'll venture a non-NBA related guess:

I have read of some users encountering problems with backlit scenes in Build 16. If this is also a problem with Build 15, well, shooting at the end of the day while facing west, one could encounter such shots... so maybe this is the culprit? For the record, I've not had this problem myself, at least not yet.

Anyway, just a thought.

Paul

ps. A Reduser thread that notes backlit problems:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15703

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Jul 2, 2008 at 2:31:23 am

The camera was shooting almost directly into the sunset at golden hour. I think it's a possibility that could have been the problem. I'll have to look into it more.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]