FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Build 16 released with new QT Component for Mac

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Holmes
RED Build 16 released with new QT Component for Mac
on Jun 18, 2008 at 9:27:25 pm

Just in case RED users were unaware (ha ha). REDALERT appears imminent, with REDCine to follow in a week or less - so there's no point in Windows users upgrading yet...

Ben

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: RED Build 16 released with new QT Component for Mac
on Jun 20, 2008 at 12:24:52 am

If anyone has done some testing with build 16, it would be great to hear some opinions of it.

How is the new QT codec working? Does it improve playback performance in FCP at all?

Any impressions on the new capabilities of build 16? Big difference or minor tweaking?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 21, 2008 at 7:17:21 pm

Build 16 is like getting a brand new camera. The picture quality is better and RED has responded to their customers needs with this release.

In the coming weeks this camera program will be fully out of beta (on the post side as well as the camera side).

I will point you to some links with build 15 and 16 comparisons in the coming days.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 22, 2008 at 9:22:57 pm

Thanks David

I hope to look at some footage from the new build this week (camera hire permitting) and try some work with HD in FCP and also 1080p capture from the camera (which interests me greatly as a 'quick' workflow. Apparently there is dual-link 1080p available with a full debayer. I look forward to comparing this, and the new proxies against REDCine and REDAlert options. Anything that removes the 20:1 conversions times at decent 1080p quality would make a HUGE difference to when the camera can be used in my market.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 23, 2008 at 3:07:05 am

Ben,

I hear you. I think that RED is a brilliant system, but the CPU's just have to catch up. I think (hope) a year from now we will all just be cutting proxies. I think that KONA will offer some onboard support for REDCODE at some point.

I just hope these encode times don't turn to many people off too quickly and that if they are tuned off that they find their way back soon.

I am committed to the system and have found workarounds, but I wish it was more elegant at this time. I can see where it is going and that makes me smile.

David

Read my Blog

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 23, 2008 at 1:09:14 pm

[Ben Holmes] "Apparently there is dual-link 1080p available with a full debayer"

I read that the camera out was not a "full" debayer (as log or RAW) but designed specifically to deliver REC 709 HD rushes. ( you cannot do 14bit data to a video tape format, and I believe the limit on SR is 12bit as LOG)

AND

the camera is outputting a 1080 TRUE P signal - unlike anything most people have ever worked with, since Sony's "p" is actually PsF. People on viewing CRT displays and prosumer monitors are in for a world of discord.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 23, 2008 at 3:59:05 pm

[gary adcock] "I read that the camera out was not a "full" debayer (as log or RAW) but designed specifically to deliver REC 709 HD rushes. ( you cannot do 14bit data to a video tape format, and I believe the limit on SR is 12bit as LOG)
"

Thanks. I had read that the 1080p dual-link output had a full quality debayer, but I guess that was meant in the REC709 sense of 'full' - clearly it can't be RAW.

[gary adcock] "the camera is outputting a 1080 TRUE P signal - unlike anything most people have ever worked with, since Sony's "p" is actually PsF. People on viewing CRT displays and prosumer monitors are in for a world of discord."

Yup. I'm glad my JVC 24" hd LCD has already been tested by RED - definitely my best recent purchase.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jun 25, 2008 at 5:45:40 pm

The title of this thread is misleading. What has been "released" is a BETA of build 16. Like all betas (or at least all betas until people decided that betas are release versions despite their lack of real testing and despite warnings by those releasing them to not use them for real production work), it has limitations and bugs, both known and unknown. Not to mention that once installed, you can't roll back to a previous version.

Use this on a "real" job at your own peril. And that comes not only from me, but from Red (in only slightly different words).

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 25, 2008 at 6:11:02 pm

Mike

Thanks for clarifying this here - I would have thought anyone downloading the RED firmware was well aware of this from RED's website. REDCine is still beta as it was before - as is RED Alert. The Quicktime component I mentioned in the thread title is NOT beta, so it's just the firmware that has changed status.

Still - never hurts to be clearer, I just tend to trust the noise and FUD is a little lower here on the Cow, and we can all read between the lines a little.

All the best

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 26, 2008 at 3:40:49 am

Hey there.

I have loaded B16 on to my camera for initial testing and it has been working well. The QT code does not seem to offer any significant speed boost at this time, but I believe RED is currently optimizing the code.

The QT player and RED now support 16x9 aspect ratio and they have already released a newer version of RED ALERT and REDCINE came out earlier this week.

I said I would post a link to the build 15 16 comparison and it is in this thread on RED USER.

David

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15333

Maybe I'll talk to Kathlyn about turning this into a COW article as well.

Read my Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]