FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Terms

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Flor
RED Terms
on Jun 14, 2008 at 1:44:05 am

Hi. Just a question about two words I keep running into over at RedUser. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to give me a brief explanation of these two terms. Thanks.

LUT

Redspace.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: RED Terms
on Jun 14, 2008 at 1:48:54 pm

[Jason Flor] "LUT "

Look Up Table a set of numeric controls to modify your image to make it appear correctly on a display or specific device say a film printer. Originally used to define the color parameters for matching on-screen computer graphic / Photoshop files to specific CMYK printers or monitors in the pre-press world - used in the HD/ film world for the same reasons to view content in its corrected on a display.

"Redspace."
a term adopted by red users to describe the RED One's native color space.

A term used during the Reagan era to describe the Soviets control of outer space.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jason Flor
on Jun 14, 2008 at 2:01:19 pm

Thanks Gary. I have a feeling we are going to be needing a Red glossary soon.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 14, 2008 at 2:38:31 pm

[Jason Flor] "Thanks Gary. I have a feeling we are going to be needing a Red glossary soon.
"

thanks Jason

it should be posted later this summer, I added my glossary ( not just for RED) for Ron / Walter to add to the archive here on the Cow.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 15, 2008 at 5:48:55 am

The term "Redspace" is referring to the way you translate linear sensor values into a non-linear data set. Given the non-linear human perception of light, you can save quite a few bits without sacrificing quality when going from a linear space in 14 bit to 12 bit log for example. There are established standards for this like CineLog, but these have been primarily developed for film scanners.

Obviously they are not perfect in the eyes of the engineers at Red for their specific needs – after all this camera is quite different from all others since it's compressing raw data before decoding the colors (de-bayering). So, I'm under the impression that they try to establish an optimized color-space for their camera starting with build 16 (currently still in alpha).

I'm sure we're going to learn more about it pretty soon.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]