FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED one to give 1080p playback off camera

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Holmes
RED one to give 1080p playback off camera
on Jun 11, 2008 at 11:59:17 pm

I'll be brief. The new camera firmware will - according to RED staff - provide a 4:4:2 1080p output and a 4:4:4 dual link 1080p output. This will not be compatible with HDCam SR (which is not true progressive)

Make of this what you will (it's playback only, not live) but I think it's highly significant for many RED users and DITs. Thought it was worth posting here.

Ben

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: RED one to give 1080p playback off camera
on Jun 12, 2008 at 3:58:44 pm

[Ben Holmes] "This will not be compatible with HDCam SR (which is not true progressive) "

Ben
thats not correct, the 5000, 5500 , 5800 and SRW-1 decks can all capture and playback both P and PsF, and your Kona card can do both P and Psf also however they maybe be some display issues, as many "consumer" plasmas and LCD's cannot display anything but PsF.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 12, 2008 at 11:33:20 pm

thanks Gary. I was misinformed - I only really use SR for playback, I'm more interested in the option of capturing to computer or playback on set. The ability to load looks into the camera and playback at 1080p seems a massive advance to me, depending on the quality of the dual link picture. Hard to believe it will be poor.

Ben

Return to posts index

Shane Betts
on Jun 13, 2008 at 9:13:07 am

Whether or not it could be described as "poor", it will have no substantial resemblance to a RAW image post processing/grading so I'm not sure I'd use it for more than a guide.

Bettsy

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 13, 2008 at 3:24:37 pm

My guess is that it will be a lot better than current proxies derived from 4K footage - especially as you can load a look into the camera for playback. There would, at any rate, be little point providing a dual-link output otherwise.

For those of us mastering in 1080 with less time on our post-production hands, I think this may bear further scrutiny. For now it's all speculation of course (for a few days more). Even as an on-set monitoring tool, this is a great step forward.

Ben

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jun 13, 2008 at 4:42:19 pm

Not at 1080. In 1080, they (well, at least the 5000, which is the only one I can check at the moment) will do PsF only. "P" is only available for 720, and only in 60 and 50 flavors (the only valid video formats).

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 13, 2008 at 5:38:46 pm

q[Mike Most] "Not at 1080. In 1080, they (well, at least the 5000, which is the only one I can check at the moment) will do PsF only."

Mike
I was told that it was available via a Sony service update available in the last couple of months.

However I have access to the other SR models ( 5500, 5800 and SRW1) and all of them can capture either P or PsF by a change in selection in the users Signal Format > Line format.

Yet By nature of the 444 RGB process , the files are usually considered P are they not? That is why Stwo, Rave and codex all try to use the Dual link stream out of the cameras as P to capture the frames correctly as DPX, Targa etc...

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jun 13, 2008 at 8:11:42 pm

Have you actually tried/done that? My own testing shows that on the 5000, "Progressive" is greyed out as a choice when 1080 is set as the line rate, and on Sony's own literature for the 5500 it specifically indicates via a format chart that all 1080 resolutions are supported in PsF and i only. So what you're saying is different than what I have seen myself and different than what Sony claims in their published specifications.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 14, 2008 at 1:31:23 pm

[Mike Most] "Have you actually tried/done that?"

Yes on the 5500 and others

"my own testing shows that on the 5000, "Progressive" is greyed out as a choice when 1080 is set as the line rate,"

I said I was told that it could be done by a Sony tech, but it had to have had the most recent firmware update (something you would know about) I have tested the P outputs via monitor and my kona cards when I was looking at P vs.PsF as part of a test done by capturing 1080 True P output from a Phantom v10 on SRW and 5800's.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]