FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scarlet at 2.4k

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Jensen
Scarlet at 2.4k
on Jun 4, 2008 at 9:16:43 pm

The planned introduction of Red Scarlet has me anticipating equipment purchases, workflows and delivery formats. After reading Adam Wilt's discussion of the Red 4k camera's optical resolution of 3.2k I have a few questions. I am mainly looking to produce 720x480, 1280x720p files but also potentially 1920x1080p and the full 2.4K (or 3k) resolution if it makes any practical sense to do so. I am only considering using Adobe Premiere Pro or FCP.

1. Will Scarlet produce about (3K x .8) = 2.4k?
2. Would it be better to encode (for final delivery) to 3K or 2.4K for optimum resolution?
3. What encoder(s) can encode Quicktime and WMV files at 2.4k or 3k?
4. What MAC software player (and hardware) can play 2.4k or 3k files?
5. What Windows software player(and hardware)can play 2.4k or 3k files?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Scarlet at 2.4k
on Jun 4, 2008 at 9:29:19 pm

It's still hard to say exactly what the Scarlet will do because it hasn't shipped yet. But still, I'll give you my take.

[Scott Jensen] "1. Will Scarlet produce about (3K x .8) = 2.4k? "

You could probably count on useable resolution at 2.4k or above.

[Scott Jensen] "2. Would it be better to encode (for final delivery) to 3K or 2.4K for optimum resolution?"

That completely depends on what you're delivering to. Even most major feature films are being delivered to theaters at 2K. If the tools allow it, I like to finish at the native resolution. So for Scarlet, I'd try to finish at 2k or 3k.

[Scott Jensen] "4. What MAC software player (and hardware) can play 2.4k or 3k files?"
[Scott Jensen] "5. What Windows software player(and hardware)can play 2.4k or 3k files? "

Things will change significantly by the time Scarlet ships, so I don't think it's worth spending too much time on this. My hope is that FCP will be able to deal with and finish RED files at up to 5K for Epic. And once RED ships the SDK in the coming months, you'll have more options.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
Re: Scarlet at 2.4k
on Jun 5, 2008 at 4:50:32 am

Knowing how RED works, any advice is pure speculation at best. I would not count on anything, nor plan anything. This camera won't be available for some time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]