FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red R3D workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
victor kohler
Red R3D workflow
on Jun 2, 2008 at 12:43:22 pm

Hi!

I am trying to get a grip of the Red post production workflow. What i want to do is to take the R3D files, generate some kind of proxy, edit in Final cut pro, compositing in AE, grade in color and be able to output to 1080p, 2k and 4k. what ive done now is generated proxies from RedAlert, edited them in Final cut, then i took the whole roundtrip with Crimson to RedCine, back to crimson and in to final cut pro. The problem is that i cant get anything like transitions and speed changes to work. Can anyone tell me how to get this workflow to work?

thanks!

Victor Köhler

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Red R3D workflow
on Jun 2, 2008 at 8:36:03 pm

[victor kohler] "The problem is that i cant get anything like transitions and speed changes to work."

I would suggest removing the transitions and speed changes for the process. Then when you're done, conform the edit to match your original transitions/speed changes.

[victor kohler] "output to 1080p, 2k and 4k."

So what file types are you dealing with? ProRes? Uncompressed? Tiff? DPX? Also, what are you going to do with the 4K files? What are you finishing to for distribution?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Gary Gowman
on Jun 2, 2008 at 11:47:49 pm

Hello Victor,

We mostly copy the Red folders off the FW800 drive to a server using a JBOD and then make LTO-4's for backup. Then we use Compressor with a droplet to create 1024x512 Pro Res files for offline editing in FCP from the RED QT M proxy. We also use another droplet to create dailies at 720x480 using H.264 codec to post on a website for production people to refer to in the early stages. The offline gets locked and we use an EDL with a small reference movie in Scratch to conform and grade with the original 4K RED files which then outputs to anything from 4K on down. HDcam SR 4:4:4 is also used for I/O when filmout is not used. Our Boxx system provides realtime playback of 2K using local RAIDS.

Workflows are constantly changing. We need to stay flexible and adapt to each project as needed.

Gary Gowman-Video Director
Louisiana Media Services
4K, 2K/DI, HDcamSR
Assimilate Scratch and FCS2/Kona 3 Suites
Full Audio Production

Return to posts index

victor kohler
on Jun 3, 2008 at 1:53:24 pm

Thansk! i think i get it now...kinda

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>