FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED ONE Vs Sony PMX EX3

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ofer Levy
RED ONE Vs Sony PMX EX3
on May 31, 2008 at 8:37:56 am

Hi all,

I am a nature photographer and have recently moved to wildlife filmmaking.
I an currently using the Sony Z7E with Nikon lenses and I am very happy with the results. However, since I am hoping to be able to sell my work to broadcasters I realise the HDV format is not acceptable by most of them.
I consider buying one of the two cameras and would love to hear what the pro think. What are the pros and cons of each one of the two and is the RED ONE the best choice for me keeping in mind I only do wildlife filmmaking and I am hoping to sell my work to broadcasters.

Please visit my website: http://www.oferlevyphotography.com

Thanks !!
Ofer Levy
Sydney-Australia

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RED ONE Vs Sony PMX EX3
on Jun 1, 2008 at 1:52:11 pm

There's currently a thread about wildlife photography going on at http://www.reduser.net , have a look!

The new Sonys are excellent value for the money and you can always sell well-shot HDV to broadcasters if you don't tell them ;-)

The Red One is a very different beast: more expensive, much heavier, more power consumption, very delicate focusing due to 35mm chip-size. But superior image and latitude.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Ofer Levy
on Jun 1, 2008 at 2:11:47 pm

Thanks Uli,
I am not going to keep on using the Z7 (HDV) for long - only till I get the EX3 or RED ONE. I do tend to prefer the EX3 as it is a more affordable solution and if there is no problem with selling to the big broadcasters (National Geographic, Discovery etc) than its great!

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 1, 2008 at 2:29:41 pm

Well, we are not finishing on HDV, of course. Our HDCAM tapes have always been accepted…

But we are located in Europe, so you should check with other American collegues.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 2, 2008 at 2:20:53 am

Which one do you want to haul into the wilderness? And back. Also, you'll be recording files so you'll need to download in the field. The 60Gb external thing from Sony would be fine, if you have enough of them.

How much time do you think in storage? How long are your trips? Here or abroad, the Yukon, ???

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 2, 2008 at 4:20:40 pm

Another camera to consider may be the upcoming "Scarlet" from RED. Of course it's likely months away (early 2009 RED says), but would be far superior to an HDV setup if the company keeps the spec at 3k.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Jun 2, 2008 at 10:46:54 pm

[Jerry Hofmann] "Another camera to consider may be the upcoming "Scarlet" from RED. Of course it's likely months away (early 2009 RED says), but would be far superior to an HDV setup if the company keeps the spec at 3k. "

I completely agree with Jerry on this. Scarlet will be the best option. But as it isn't shipping, I would have to suggest the EX3 for you. Here's why. The RED ONE is a beast to carry around. It really requires a crew instead of just one person. You'll kill your back in the back country if you're trying to carry a RED ONE by yourself.

The EX3 will be high enough quality that a good DP should be able to give footage that broadcasters would gladly accept.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Ofer Levy
on Jun 2, 2008 at 4:44:50 pm

Thanks for your comments so far!

My main concern is getting high enough quality HD to satisfy any broadcaster.
Michael Palmer mentioned a very interesting option for me - the Convergent Design XDR Compact Flash HD-SDI recorder. If I understand correctly - I will be able to capture uncompressed HD signal into CF. This sounds like the ultimate solution for me as the footage I get with my Sony HDV Z7 is really outstanding. The small size sensor of the Z7 (1/3') makes every still lens mounted on it to behave like a x8 longer telephoto lens - which is a huge advantage for wildlife filmmaking.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 3, 2008 at 4:37:28 pm

I"ve not heard of this solution, but sure seems to me that it will fill up fast... Uncompressed HD creates HUGE files.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Don Valenti
on Jun 29, 2009 at 2:39:55 am

I am another HDV shooter for a while now,...So I am asking how your
product held up going to HDCAM in the end all. No problems with networks detecting it?

Return to posts index

Philip Imbrenda
on Jan 2, 2009 at 3:58:12 pm

You should take a look at the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, I just got one & I am very pleased with the results, We have a Few Sony EX3's as well & they do a wonderful job but for nature sceens the canon is much smaller,plus you have a Great selection of Len's to choose from, you can shoot 12 min. of HD with audio,on an 8GB card It looks as good as RED! hope this helps

Tv One Productions

Return to posts index

mike mouyal
on May 14, 2009 at 9:20:26 pm

what about depth of field. should one use a 35mm adapter to get the same image as the red?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
gary adcock
on Jun 29, 2009 at 12:00:36 pm

[Philip Imbrenda] "You should take a look at the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, I just got one & I am very pleased with the results, We have a Few Sony EX3's as well & they do a wonderful job"

Phillip...
what about audio? the Canon has terrible audio if any at all. The canon is not a replacement for a true video camera anymore than the RED is. Neither of them are video, your canon is a still camera with some video capabilities and RED is a Digital Cinema Camera designed for high level production.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Theo Ukpaa
on May 11, 2013 at 2:48:28 pm

I Agree completely with Gary. the Canon MK II is not a proffesional video camera. for wildlife sometimes you need to achieve a steady zoom movement which you cant achieve with a Canon except you use a track.

I am currently shooting a Documentary about Landscapes in Africa and the SONY EX 3 is doing a perfect finish for me..

Theo Ukpaa
Film Maker
Tiger Filmworks Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]