FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major Downconversion Issues, has anyone gotten a successful SD downconvert?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Walker
Major Downconversion Issues, has anyone gotten a successful SD downconvert?
on May 27, 2008 at 5:21:14 pm

Hey all,

Working with a post production facility that has taken the R3D files from the camera and converted them to Apple Pro Res 1080 clips. Once spot is edited in HD, we are having major aliasing issues trying various methods of downconversion. I tried nesting the 1080 sequence in an SD sequence in FCP. I've tried scaling in After Effects, I've tried Compressor with all sorts of settings, every time the SD footage shows major aliasing in moving shots or on fine detail edges. I've checked all of the proper pulldown settings and what not, progressive, lower, upper field type stuff, none of it is helping. My question is, who among you RED shooters has down a successful downconversion of a transcoded R3D file and what settings did you use, hardware, software, etc.? Give me every step of the process please. Thanks.

Joe Walker

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Major Downconversion Issues, has anyone gotten a successful SD downconvert?
on May 28, 2008 at 2:56:42 am

Do you have a capture card?

Return to posts index

Joe Walker
on May 28, 2008 at 12:02:30 pm

Yes we're using a Kona 3. Let me clarify, right now the only feasible solution we've found is to route the HD sequence out of FCP and into a Panasonic AJ-HD150 deck, and then do a loop back to another FCP suite where it's captured as (SD) Uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2. What I need to know is, has anybody else successfully done a downconversion with any kind of RED footage, and then played it back on an NTSC CRT monitor and NOT had any aliasing issues? If so, how did you do it, what steps did you take, etc. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2008 at 2:03:40 pm

If your footage is 1080p, then follow this post, but change the necessary information (such as frame size/frame rate) to make it fit your program. If you have any more issues, post back on the Kona forum:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/98/869819

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]