FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas needs/suggestions for MAGIX to hear!!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Francis
Vegas needs/suggestions for MAGIX to hear!!
on Jun 1, 2016 at 1:42:52 pm

OK,

So John says to tell Magix what we want from Vegas. Hopefully if we do it here and in one place, they can help us.
I know Vegas is great, but it really needs some help in a few places!!

Please list what your needs are and if you agree with it, use the thumbs up so we can see which needs are the most important to those in the forum.

Best

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
Re: Vegas needs/suggestions for MAGIX to hear!!
on Jun 1, 2016 at 1:44:09 pm

Smooth playback when editing more than one or two tracks, without audio dropouts and stutters when using audio FX on multiple audio tracks.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jun 1, 2016 at 1:52:22 pm

Cross platform too....this would really be a benefit to ALL parties!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Robert Baker
on Jun 10, 2016 at 1:22:48 am

[Scott Francis] "Smooth playback when editing more than one or two tracks"

This one detail has caused me to look at other NLEs but I lose so many other features that I keep coming back to Vegas. Vegas Pro needs to be able to utilize the GPU for more than just rendering a few FX; playback being top of my list.

Another feature I would like to see is an ability to create 3D text and a better way to manage text manipulation. ProType Titler always behaved like a shoddy third-party tool that slowed Vegas to a crawl and was very difficult to work with. The way Premiere handles text is far superior to the three text "plugins" included in Vegas.

-------------------------------
R. Baker
Sony Vegas Certified User
Videographer/Editor Extraordinaire

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Jun 10, 2016 at 7:38:53 pm

Hi Scott:
I had similar problems with Vegas 12 until I switched to an AMD Radeon R9 200 series card.
Steve

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

Joe Mizera
on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:11:31 pm

Hi Scott:
I had similar problems with Vegas 12 until I switched to an AMD Radeon R9 200 series card.
Steve

I'd be curious to know if Steve, or anyone else who has been successful in getting a graphics
card to work with Vegas Pro, and if so, what sort of performance benefits if any were realized?

Joe Mizera
Mizera Digital
http://www.austexvideo.com

Return to posts index

Eric Dettman
on Jun 1, 2016 at 3:11:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We have been collecting and documenting product suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

-Eric

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

Return to posts index

Russ Sturgeon
on Jun 1, 2016 at 10:01:25 pm

Please address the 708 captions issue. Vegas has a wonderful interface for captioning, but does not create valid 708 data.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 2, 2016 at 2:51:45 am

[Russ Sturgeon] "Please address the 708 captions issue. Vegas has a wonderful interface for captioning, but does not create valid 708 data."
+1

That's a big one for working in broadcast. In the past, broadcasters have let it slide and fixed it on their end but lately they are rejecting submission that don't have proper 708 data and this is becoming a problem for Vegas Pro editors.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Jim Prisby
on Jun 2, 2016 at 4:20:42 am

Please add a "stroke" option to the text feature in DVD Architect Pro. I very often have trouble separating menu text and titles from the background. Drop shadow is not enough.

Sony Vegas Pro 13 / DVD Architect Pro
Boris Continuum Complete 9.0
Intel 2.67GHz Core2 Quad CPU.
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GForce GTX 570 superclocked
Windows 7 64bit

Return to posts index

James Hauge
on Jun 2, 2016 at 9:44:25 am

One thing I'd love is the ability to render into ProRes myself... My broadcast server loves prores but I love Vegas, which means I either need to render my video, then transfer to an apple machine and then run it through another render on there to get it to prores, or I can use another format that my broadcast server doesn't like as much but will work with..

Just my thoughts!
--James

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 2, 2016 at 11:23:05 am

[James Hauge] "One thing I'd love is the ability to render into ProRes myself"
+1

That's another big one. By and large the industry is using Macs and Apple ProRes is the standard everyone uses for delivery. If you are not going to create a Mac version of Vegas Pro, at least license the codecs from Apple so that the PC version can create PoRes files if that's even possible.

This is one of the reason's I switched to Mac. I don't have this problem but I know other Vegas Pro editors do.

BTW, you can buy a Mac Mini for $499 and Apple Compressor for $49 and have a dedicated Mac on your network that listens for files to be placed in a folder and then automatically converts them to ProRes. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jun 2, 2016 at 9:59:19 pm

Magix, just hire me to make funny commercials for Magix Vegas! I've got a track record with viral funny videos, and I may just make them for free until you hire me. So people will associate my videos with Vegas, anyways, and you'll have little choice. It appears links may not be working on the revamped forum, so just look me up on YouTube, my channel name is FlyingOverTr0ut.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Jun 2, 2016 at 11:23:52 pm

Handling double system sound on the CLIP level! Avid, Davinci Resolve (now), Premiere Pro, etc, etc... I moved away from Vegas to Premiere, now Resolve, and using Vegas for audio mixing,etc, because of how Vegas does not link multitrack audio on the clip level, only on the timeline.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 3, 2016 at 12:07:01 am

More robust support for 32-bit Full level real-time playback of DPX-16 and EXR.
• Layer support for EXR, plus updated EXR support in general to include compression modes

Support for 32-bit Full level real-time playback of ArriRaw, and latest Redcode gamma formats. Recommend not supporting Sony Raw, because I am mad at Sony right now.

Drag and drop RAW support for Canon and Nikon formats with Redcode like tool for adjustments.

Upgrade the OpenCL version to include multiple GPUs

Re-Build to support CPU advancements like AVX2 or AVX-512

Update the resolution support to 8K by 8K, when 16K x 16K would probably be wiser and more long term.

Diagnostic page/tab/help menu/ or applet that verifies application current build:
memory bandwidth
CPU instruction support
GPU interface speed
GPU GFLOP rating
OpenCL operation
NVME check, SATA interface speeds, disk speed check for support for codec levels.
Real-time playback supported for x,y,z codecs at standard levels.

This would very useful for ferreting out people with archaic systems and outdated application versions. This would also show people with laptops see where the issues are with the chosen hardware. The app would offer suggestions for area's to improve, and possibly look like a cross between Windows Performance Score and Blackmagic's Disk Speed.
Optionally alert users to DMI bandwidth issues based on where storage is connected for a given detected chipset.
Check system for DPC latency driver issues that might impact real-time playback
Possibly even include a restart mode to verify memory with memtest86, SFC scannow, and report the results.

Improved Scopes:

Scopes should changes numeric scales bases on the video project mode. Current the scales are the old school NTSC %.

There should be a drop down that sets the scales to user defined values or have the values automatically expand based on media match or project mode.

Waveform
○ Would be nice to be able to select between % and scale reading.
○ 16 and 253 lines added when in the right mode, possibly select different "green scale" overlays
○ Real time update/monitoring of a live source, even if this has to be inside an updated Capture utility.

Vectorscope
○ Add skin tone lines

Histogram
○ Here again the scale needs to update base on project mode, 0-255 does not work for 10bit+ sources.

RGB Parade
○ Here again the scale needs to update base on project mode, 0-255 does not work for 10bit+ sources.

New zebra overlay mode on preview monitor for highlights and blacks out of range

Improve on QuickSync support with Vegas, or possibly add support for NVENC or AMD VCE included with new GPUs?

Support greater than 5.1 Surround modes.

Auto Audio sync of multicam via waveform/detected audio. Possibly audio channel timecode detection, as this would allow TC to be feed to multiple DSLR

Ability to setup Vegas project folders into structures like:

CAM-A
CAM-B
CAM-C
AUDIO
FX
CG
MUSIC
Vegas.VEG

Then keep that structure when you want to archive the project via the copy media and trim function. Currently all folder structures are lost when the "SAVE AS-Copy media with project" mode is used.

Return to posts index

paul rainville
on Jun 4, 2016 at 2:51:31 pm

Dear Magix,

I have used your products previously, as well as Vegas for many years. My two cents on a Vegas fix would be to have a render engine equivalent or better than what Edius pro now provides. If this one issue alone were addressed I would move back to Vegas. I love & despise so much about Vegas. If you listen to the voices on these threads, you will develop a market share to rival the "big ones". I hope you do. I will be looking forward to your first release.
P. Rainville

Return to posts index

John Halterman
on Jun 4, 2016 at 7:27:19 pm

#1 - Cross Platform
#2 - See #1
#3 - Like John said, if no cross platform, let me use industry standard media in Vegas. The workflow I have to use now to produce a network TV show (6 seasons now) is ridiculous. I'd love be able to do the whole show in Vegas instead of rendering, then into Adobe PP to finish. PLEASE!!!

Return to posts index

john lenihan
DVD architect with 4Kblurays
on Jun 4, 2016 at 10:30:47 pm

DVD architect.

Assuming that the Magix folks are going to continue with DVD architect, it needs to be able to produce 4K Blurays.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 6, 2016 at 10:10:14 pm

Edit Details

In Edit Details (View>Window>Edit Details):
1- Search tool by name/content for markers/regions
2- Go to the markers/regions in timeline when double clicking in Edit Details

Thanks,
Carlos_

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 6, 2016 at 10:26:52 pm

Audio/Video Sync

Currently I need PluralEyes plugin for doing Audio/Video Sync in Vegas (i.e. sync video from DSLR and audio from external audio recorder).

It could be a Vegas in-built feature. Even consumer grade video editing software (e.g. PowerDirector) can do that nowadays.

Thanks,
Carlos_

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 6, 2016 at 10:32:58 pm

Motion Tracker

Currently I need BCC Motion Tracker plugin.

Actually, even with BCC there is some issues, since BCC just works with first clip in the timeline. To motion tracker in other parts of timeline, you need to create one project with BCC Motion Tracker, importing it into another one, as a nested project. A bit cumbersome.

So, it would be great Vegas having an in-built Motion Tracker feature.

Even consumer grade video editing software (e.g. PowerDirector, Premiere Elements, Corel VideoStudio) can do that nowadays.

Thanks,
Carlos_

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 7, 2016 at 3:09:08 pm

Speed up/down playback keeping the voice pitch

Any - even minimal - speed up/down in Vegas playback speed mess with the voice pitch, bringing distortion (i.e. voices like Darth Vader or Mickey Mouse).

Many users need to speed up/down Vegas playback speed in their workflows (see links below for detailed use cases), but the distortion in voice pitch is a huge shortcoming currently.

Adobe Premiere allows a much smoother playback when speeding up/down speed, keeping voice pitch. Vegas could do the same (actually, if the clip is time stretched in time line, Vegas plays with amazing voice pitch control. However, the current suggestion is that the great work Vegas already does with time stretched clips also become available when changing just the playback the speed).

Thanks,
Carlos_

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?messageid=943192
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/926993
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/998849

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 7, 2016 at 5:42:45 pm

[Carlos Silva] "(actually, if the clip is time stretched in time line, Vegas plays with amazing voice pitch control. However, the current suggestion is that the great work Vegas already does with time stretched clips also become available when changing just the playback the speed)."
Vegas already does this. You can select from several audio stretch algorithms. Just change it to the one you like best. I assume that would be Elastique.

~jr

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 7, 2016 at 6:15:17 pm

Indeed John. I was affirming same as you that "Vegas already does this", but only when the clip property "playback rate" is changed.

I'm trying to explain that Vegas is already able to handle pitch, but just in this situation. So, Vegas could also provide smoother pitch when just the playback rate/speed is changed (clip property isn't change). I mean, the speed change is just in the control in bottom-left tool, just below the tracks (snapshot: http://i.imgur.com/ToeHLzc.png).

Following the threads discussions I mentioned about, everyone have faced same problem with "pitch distortion" when the playback rate/speed is changed. In Adobe Premiere, by pressing L to speed up the playback, the pitch is much smoother than Vegas. If you press L in Vegas, Mickey Mouse is coming!

I'm non-English speaker, so I hope my point is clearer now.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 7, 2016 at 6:26:36 pm

[Carlos Silva] "I mean, the speed change is just in the control in bottom-left tool, just below the tracks"
Oh, I see. You are talking about playing back the entire timeline faster or slower. Yea, that doesn't preserve pitch.

~jr

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 7, 2016 at 4:21:35 pm

Hi John and Magix,

Here are something I would like to see in the new version of Vegas Pro:

Please add the capability of Opacity to the Event Pan/Crop tool and maybe allow other options to be added as well.

I came across this limitation when I was trying to create those old VH1 Pop-Up style videos using Vegas Pro. (At each position in the video I have to change Opacity but I could not)

Composite Envelope is a track Property and the Pan/Crop tool is an event property so If I moved an event all sync is lost between the event pan/crop keyframes and any keyframes in the Opacity (composite) envelope.

I hope this eventually makes it to the program.

Thanks,

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 7, 2016 at 5:21:15 pm

There are some great ideas here I like, Cross platform being a top one. Also if Vegas had a decent chromakey effect with a spill suppressor and the ability to have a midi track trigger an audio track with a sampler on it like Sony Acid already does, A person, like myself would be able to create a music video production without ever having to leave Sony Vegas! It would also be the first and only program that would DO IT ALL! Best regards, Danny Hays

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 7, 2016 at 6:14:05 pm

There is a new 8K camera released by Panavision this week. Like my prior post stated, a "Professional" NLE should be capable of handling the workflow of a camera like this. Mainly it looks like Panavision has rolled their own version of the RED Dragon 8K camera, so support for the latest versions/functions of R3D is extremely important. No one will take a "Pro" product serious if it cannot handle "Professional" level of work.

http://DXL.Panavision.com

Here are the stats:

Sensor Type
16-bit, 35.5 Megapixel CMOS

Resolution
8192 x 4320

Sensor Size
Large Format: 40.96mm x 21.60mm (Diagonal: 46.31mm)

Dynamic Range
15 stops

Max Frame Rate
60 fps at 8K Full Frame (8192 x 4320), 75 fps at 8K 2.4:1 (8192 x 3456)

Recording Codec
8K RAW with simultaneous 4K proxy (ProRes or DNx)

Recording Media
SSD (up to 1 hour on a single magazine)

File Type
.r3d (supported in RED SDK)

Color Profile
Light Iron Color (compatible with all popular gamuts and transfer curves)

Weight
10 lbs.

Additional Features
  • 6 independent video outputs
  • Supports 6 independent 1D LUTs or up to 4 independent 3D LUTs
  • Directly motorize Primo 70 lenses through wireless control
  • Built in wirelesss timecode for genlock (Ambient Control Network)
  • Dual menus (Operator side, Assistant side)
  • Advanced airflow system for superior temperature management
  • Custom cheeseplate with integrated electronics
  • Modular and tooless quick changeover accessories

Return to posts index

Joe Mizera
on Jun 8, 2016 at 1:17:21 pm

Apologies if this one has already been added, but it would be wonderful if there was an option for a standard dark gray interface background.

Joe Mizera
Mizera Digital

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Paid support option
on Jun 10, 2016 at 4:19:15 pm

This forum has been invaluable in solving problems.

Sony's open a trouble ticket and a week later they ask a dumb question answer then a week another dumb question support has been worthless.

For those of us who's living depends on things working, and have to deal with all types of file types and customers, I would like to see an option for paid support.

I don't mind paying an annual fee in order that when I am really stuck, they can remote login to my machine, and either walk me through something, or report a bug internally and give a workaround.

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 10, 2016 at 5:20:34 pm

Make Auto Ripple available inside scripts and extensions

It follows a video-recording showing when a scrip (through Vegasaur) is used to change event duration/length, the markers around don't move: https://goo.gl/KgEv7i

It seems this behavior is a Vegas known issue, that doesn't allow Auto Ripple to work inside scripts and extensions. So the scripts could provide further functionality for users if they could rely on Auto Ripple to adjust events.

Thanks,
Carlos_

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 13, 2016 at 1:30:57 pm

Wow, you are on a roll Carlos, lol
In the meantime, for the missing features within Vegas, thankfully their are many efficient plugins from other vendors
that fills in it's shortcomings.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 13, 2016 at 3:30:44 pm

Hi Steve,
Indeed the plugins are marvelous!
But in this case Vegas doesn't allow Auto Ripple to work inside scripts and extensions, Vegas is limiting the plugins functionality .
The forthcoming Vegas release sounds will address many users needs neglected by Sony. Better yet if plugin/extension functionality be improved as well. This way we could expect a better Vegas soon, and improved plugins from third-parties as well.
Best,
Carlos_

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jun 13, 2016 at 9:06:37 pm

Make it possible to use Ctrl+S to save a project when the Plug In Chooser is open. Currently, you can't.

Return to posts index

Bob Griffin
on Jun 15, 2016 at 11:58:50 pm

As a user of Vegas since day 1 with the old Sonic Foundry folks, I can say only a few things:

1. Please don't do what Sony did when they took it over and muck it up so it took several years to get stable. I've taken a close look at the Magix site and the German techs are super from what I can tell. They've always been years ahead of everybody else in tech stuff and equipment and it appears they will take Vegas to the next level.

2. Suggest they look at integrating Handbrake into the Vegas render section. Handbrake is a monster and should improve everyone's renders and file sizes from what I've experienced so far. ProRes is OK, too but with Handbrake, it might be even better.

3. Keep NewBlueFX. Good stuff.

4. Keep the price reasonable. A lot of people are using Vegas and every few months, it seems like more stuff comes out. I've seen lots of programs with mp4 render engines that are killers.

Go Magix!

Return to posts index

Joe Mizera
on Jun 16, 2016 at 12:18:26 am
Last Edited By Joe Mizera on Jun 16, 2016 at 12:21:39 am

I am so with Bob. High quality MP4 render could put Vegas Pro right out front. The ease of use of Vegas, and renders that match Handbrake MP4? Yes please!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 16, 2016 at 6:32:00 am

"German techs are super from what I can tell. They've always been years ahead of everybody else in tech stuff and equipment "

What planet? What tech exactly? There are very few chip makers in the world and almost all are in Asia.

I just hope the project managers are better at Magix than Sony. I am amazed me how many task items and bugs were dropped or ignored, and people still kept their jobs.

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:05:09 am

In 1997 I bought a "Fast Video Machine" which was a German product. It was a hybrid editor which seamlessly integrated tape based editing and non-linear. The GUI was logical and straight forward and I loved it. I paid around $24k for it with the DPR and a 20 gig drive. The software was bullet proof.

I haven't use Magix, but about 14 years ago my sales guy used it in some simple POC projects. Though it wasn't as functional as Vegas 4, it had some great built in effects and was easy to use.

If Magix takes Vegas seriously - and I believe that they will - we have much to look forward to.

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 16, 2016 at 11:50:08 am

[Aaron Star] "I am amazed me how many task items and bugs were dropped or ignored, and people still kept their jobs."
Actually... I'm pretty sure that everyone lost their jobs. That's why the software was sold to MAGIX. Hopefully the few that got hired by MAGIX are more customer focused.

~jr

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jun 17, 2016 at 9:29:46 am

I've lost track of where this thread is going now, but if- as the heading suggests - it's for suggestions, can I request that Sony Vegas Pro make it possible to burn captions in as 'open-captions'. And, when this happens, don't make it via the 'text' option because they come out blurry. I'd like them to look just like the 'cc608' broadcast versions however I want to move them around the screen, change colours for speakers, and burn-in so that non-techy people won't keep ringing me because they don't know how to use (or find) VLC or they don't get how to press 'subtitles - on' , or they don't get what Imean by an .srt file or...... or....... It may seem simple to you and I but it's apparently very difficult to lots of people out there so I just want to burn them in to make like life easier :)

Return to posts index

Jason Warfe
on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:07:08 pm

I enjoy the pen tool in Vegas but I'd like to see a model closer to what After Effects has. I like that each individual mask is individually named.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jun 30, 2016 at 8:46:09 am

I'm not a native english speaker, so please excuse me if I type something with wrong words, or am not clear.
I think hungarian, just try to write in english ;)
Second, I'm few versions behind you, I still use Vegas pro 10, so if some of my ideas are implemented in V 11..13, just ignore it.

So, my whishes (I start with the most important to me, and the last one is the least important):

- If just current features of Vegas would be kept, but with increased stability and reliability, I'd be happy with it.
- +1 for the crossplatform thing, if Linux would be supported... (offtopic) Linux itself is free, but it does not mean all programs running on it have to be free - I use both Linux and Windows, and on Linux I already have one paid application. It's an office pack, also made by a german firm ;) (/offtopic)

- In some projects I use a lot of keyframes. When it's about effect properties, sometimes the keyframes disappear. They are there, because they do their job, just are invisible. In this case I have to close the effect properties dialog and reopen it, then the "missing" keyframes appear. When it's pan/crop or trackmotion I never saw this problem, maybe the culprit is behind the redesigned UI of the effects keyframe handling?
- Event velocity envelope: please, please, be it available for audio too...
- Event velocity envelope: please increase the boundary limits.
(Currently -100%...+300%, could it be -1000%...+1000% ?)
- I would like to see a consistent UI in the whole application with consistent controls, sliders, etc.
- I'd appreciate some kind of "delta" keyframes, which wouldn't specify a direct value of a parameter, but a change to that parameter, or the speed of change to that value. For example, if trackmotion had a keyframe with a "speed (x,y)" parameter, it would move the track on the screen with only one keyframe. The benefit would be if using more such keyframes, a path could be defined, on which the track would move smoothly. That would make a lot easier to move something on the screen smoothly. (Currently a lot's of position keyframes are needed with different interpolations to achieve a similar moving effect.)

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Jun 30, 2016 at 8:26:59 pm

I'd like to see a program such as "Veggie Tool kit" by Peach Rock which allows you to batch render regions on a timeline as separate files. The files carry the name of the region. It also does many other things. It's a powerful program and is one of the reasons that I stayed with Vegas 12. Randall Campbell wrote the plugin and didn't update it for Vegas 13. I use this feature all the time. http://www.peachrock.com/VeggieToolkit30.

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

Joe Mizera
on Jun 30, 2016 at 9:26:03 pm

Hi Steve,

The particular feature you're describing is also part of Vasst Render Assistant, which is indeed compatible with Vegas Pro 13. I could not live without the region render function.

Joe Mizera
Mizera Digital

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jul 1, 2016 at 10:20:11 am

So, with this function, do you choose the whole footage 'strip' and then it breaks it down into individual renders depending on the chapter name? (Is chapter the same as region)?
So, it negates the need to do individual renders from one long piece of footage? I do this all the time because I might have 5 episodes on one long piece of footage and at the moment I'm rendering one by one.
I have Vegasaurus but not not VASSt.
So there's no way to do it in Vegas Pro 13?
thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 1, 2016 at 11:17:34 am

[Amanda Duffield] "So, it negates the need to do individual renders from one long piece of footage? I do this all the time because I might have 5 episodes on one long piece of footage and at the moment I'm rendering one by one."
VASST Render Assistant will render either the entire project to multiple formats, or the current Timeline Selection, or Regions, or between Markers. If you select Regions or Markers it uses the Region or Marker name as the filename. It only cost $9.95 USD.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm the author of Render Assistant. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Jul 1, 2016 at 5:43:25 pm

Peach Rock "Veggie tool kit" does all that Vasst does, but allows you to add multiple veg files to the batch and also add filters - it's very versatile. I need batching to create training videos with small standalone clips defined by regions. You can also use multiple veg files as well.

Either way, hopefully Magix will not alter the architecture so these batching utilities won't work, and better yet, that they include such an interface with Vegas 14.

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jul 1, 2016 at 5:56:29 pm

Steve,
Veggie Toolkit is discontinued (according to their website).
So, you have 2 options:
1) Vegas Production Assistant (which Magix also acquired)
2) Vegasaur Toolkit (see Transcoder - multiple .veg files and effects are also supported)

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Jul 1, 2016 at 6:18:50 pm

Yes, veggie tool kit stopped at Vegas 12 (as I related in my original post). My comments were directed to the Magix developers so hopefully they will include such a render utility in Vegas 14.
Thanks,

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

Joe Mizera
on Jul 1, 2016 at 6:46:30 pm

Actually there is a third option. Vasst Renderassistant as mentioned here. Heck of a deal at $9.95 from Sony. At least for now.

Joe Mizera
Mizera Digital

Return to posts index

Joe Mizera
on Jul 1, 2016 at 11:31:37 am

"So, it negates the need to do individual renders from one long piece of footage?"

Exactly. A region is indeed different from a chapter marker. Regions are indicated by green marks. Just select a range, hit "r" and name it. By selection regions in Renderassistant, you can then select a render preset, and all regions will automatically be rendered and named.

I do agree that this would be a great feature to eventually have integrated into Vegas Pro.

Joe Mizera
Mizera Digital

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jul 1, 2016 at 3:06:33 pm

[Amanda Duffield] "I have Vegasaurus"

Why don't you use it? It can render whatever you want, including regions (Transcoder tool)

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jul 6, 2016 at 1:01:12 pm

Sorry I just saw this. It's at my workplace, will try when I return.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 1, 2016 at 6:19:29 pm

Batch render regions is included with Vegas Pro as a script you can execute. If you go to the Sony Creative forum, under scriping, there are several posts that deal with this script abd how to use it. The script allows you to name the region markers the file names you want, then execute the script which will render each region as a seperate file.

The other add-ons are pretty much just providing front end GUIs to these scripts, and calling it a product.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jul 2, 2016 at 3:57:17 pm

[Aaron Star] "The script allows you to name the region markers the file names you want..."

Aaron, I don't know about you but I've never had the Sony script name the resulting region render the name that I gave it.
Instead, I use two scripts (one written by John Rofrano) to do my region batch renders with the names I give them.
RegionsAtEvents places a region at each event on the selected track(s).
BatchRender-Regions is a script that has been modified to batch render the region names to the new file, not the default render template.
For anyone that wants them, I keep both scripts in a zipped folder in my Dropbox account at RegionsScripts.zip

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jul 3, 2016 at 4:14:48 am

THanks, I'll look into that when I'm back at the workplace.

Return to posts index

Omer Aydin
on Jun 30, 2016 at 3:44:22 pm
Last Edited By Omer Aydin on Jun 30, 2016 at 8:31:41 pm

1) A scene change detector would be great. It can drop markers or split the clip when scene detection threshold is met.

2) Stream-copy rendering and keyframe navigaton for rendering/extracting clips without re-encoding.
(just like in VirtualDub or Avidemux)

3) An audio sample searching feature for finding specific audio patterns in audio clip events.

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Jul 1, 2016 at 6:51:51 pm

Update the Waveform monitor!

- Much more detail is needed on the screen - should look like a crt based readout.
- Simpler to set. The "properties window" has always been confusing. This is the most important instrument in Vegas for proper video output levels and selecting the wrong check box makes a big difference.
- The waveform monitor should have an option to show output levels based upon the coded that you will use for final output. The 16-235 and 0-255 (computer RGB vs studio RGB) setting is very ambiguous. There are work-arounds now, but it should be far easier to set the scope for your intended output based upon codec.

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:04:30 pm

I doubt that this thread is monitored by MAGIX.
Never heard their representative here...

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:12:16 pm

Hi Aleksey,

Eric Dettman represents Magix and is, I'm sure, monitoring this and other threads.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:18:55 pm

Good to know, George!
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jul 2, 2016 at 2:01:25 pm

The ability to resize edit window icons (buttons).

Bob

Return to posts index

Dave Bing
on Jul 6, 2016 at 4:01:42 am

1-Improve stability. BOTH Vegas 12 & 13 (& #10)often crash during 10 hour+ blu ray renders. It sometimes require DAYS to be successful. And this is on a HP z800 with dual quadcores and 72GB ram. I finally built fresh computers with fresh Win 7 pro and driver updates with lots of ram & ssds. I now have perhaps 20 to 25% render to bluray success.

2-support modern graphic cards for rendering improvements. 14 hours to render a 2 hour bluray on a computer like above is very poor. (graphic cards tried include several differend NVidia quadro like quadro 2000 for example. Minimal improvement if any. I loath ATI cards due to unstable drivers which when combined with #1 severely increases stress levels. I have built two different machines with fresh loads of windows 7 pro, 16-64 GB ram, SSD drives and various video cards (mostly NVidia for stability). some with antivirus, some without. Typical 2 hour 2K blueray takes 10-14 hours which is one attempt a day. sometimes I can do two if it crashes soon enough.

2b- look at Handbrake for fast rendering & transcoding ability

3-once #1 & #2 fixed, then support 4K to bluray disks
thanks

Return to posts index

Joe Mizera
on Jul 6, 2016 at 12:40:49 pm

I've found that with the GPU support switched off, Vegas 13 is pretty stable for me with only an occasional crash. Besides, I could never see any perceptible benefit. Nor know anyone who has. Could be my particular GPU.

I'm with Dave that the area of rendering is where serious work is needed. As for me, most of my output is MP4. I have to use the frameserver to Handbrake workaround to get acceptable results. Or render a gigantic AVI and convert it. Or settle for a fuzzy MP4.

Vegas Pro is by far the most intuitive interface of any NLE I have used. There are some dated and clunky bits, and the titler is not what it should be. I think it says a lot that people continue to stick with Vegas Pro, in spite of these shortcomings. If just the render issues can be resolved alone, it would be a huge step.

Joe Mizera
Mizera Digital

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jul 6, 2016 at 12:59:05 pm

I agree with the fuzzy MP4 issue, wish I understood your workaround.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 6, 2016 at 5:20:35 pm

Z800 with an NVQ2000 is not what I would concider a Vegas class machine. I am not really sure what you build that machine to do, but it was not built with Vegas in mind.

Dump the Z800 and get a Gen4-i7, Gen5 or even a skylake system, and that would cut your workflow time in half.

As far a AMD drivers being unstable, this is likely due to poor system design choices and possibly to attempting to run NVQ cards with AMD.

I have found AMD XT (X series) drivers to be extreamly stable with VP13-B453 with GPU enabled. The GPU is not going to help much with straight file render to MPEG2 or MP4. The GPU will help with decompression of certain codec types, and timeline frame effects before hitting the encoder to output to file. Some have said that there may be some predictive compuation done by OpenCL at the encoder, but this is probubly completed so fast that the GPU looks unloaded. GPU support in Vegas is like adding a second processor to your machine that excels at very specific types of math. The OpenCL hybrid combintation of GPU+CPU compute units greatly exceeds the capabilities of even the most modern stand alone xeon + skylake processors. You are talking about MFLOPs at the CPU level, and TFLOPs at the GPU level.

If you are attempting to operate Vegas on a laptop computer, when you do not absolutely need the portability, you are holding yourself back. Laptops are designed to be under powered, and miser energy to extend battery life. Laptop GPUs may have the same numeric designations, but the actual GFLOPs (processing power) are night and day between a desktop card.

See my post above about includeing a diagnostics page for Vegas, as this would inclusion would rule out probubly 50% of peoples systems that are trying to run Vegas.

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Jul 25, 2016 at 7:01:14 pm

This is a super simple suggestion, so simple that I'm sure there are probably a dozen other ways to achieve this, but since I've been using the same script since Vegas 4 or 6, I've always made it the first thing I add after a fresh install and never looked for a better way. Now this seems like a no-brainer but Vegas couldn't do it when I started using it so I downloaded a script called SelectEventsFromCursor. Wherever you are on the timeline, regardless of how many clips may be at where your cursor is, or if there are no events there but there are more past it, you simply select all of them from the cursor forward. Then you can drag them around, mash them up against the clips before them, or if you just want the video and keep the audio that's underneath where it is, just deselect that track and continue moving. I have mine bound to Ctrl+w and probably hit it about 50-100 times a day.

It's like changing to the Selection Edit Tool, zooming all the way out on your timeline and selecting everything from the cursor forward, except a heck of a lot faster.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jul 27, 2016 at 8:51:54 pm

Favorite folder for Video FX, Transitions, Media Generators

There is no favorite folder that would make the life easier for handle the hundreds of Vegas effects, etc.

Currently I use an workaround creating a folder in the plug-in chooser window, but that window isn't friendly as the main/searchable window for Video FX, Transitions, Media Generators. Another shortcoming for this workaround is that you can't see the preview thumbnails.

Looking forward to seeing new Vegas, and maybe this improvement!

Carlos

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jul 27, 2016 at 8:57:25 pm

Make "View>Edit Details" available in Vegas Movie Studio too.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Aug 4, 2016 at 12:38:10 pm

Faster search for Video FX, Transitions and Media Generators

In each Vegas session the first search for Video FX, Transitions and Media Generators takes forever. You type in the search box and can go to grab a coffee before your search is listed! This slow search could happen once, considering some elements are external plugins, etc. After that, Vegas should create a kind of cache, avoiding delays when searching first time in each session.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:11:29 pm

Improve Vegas "Media Manager"

Since 2011 it isn't updated. It is a handy to, but underdeveloped. Here there is an extensive discussion on possibilities to "Media Manager":
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?messageid=503818

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:23:05 pm

[Carlos Silva] "Improve Vegas "Media Manager""
+1

If you want to see media management done right... take a look at Apple Final Cut Pro X. This is what the Vegas Pro Media Manager could have been had Sony integrated it better. FCP X has possibly the best media management in the industry right now. Their meta-tagging and smart collections are *exactly* what Sony was doing with the media manager but Apple built it right into the NLE instead of a bolt-on component that doesn't integrate well. It's sad to see that Sony was years ahead but couldn't follow through on execution.
[Carlos Silva] "Since 2011 it isn't updated. It is a handy to, but underdeveloped."
This seemed to be a systemic problem for the Sony Creative Software Development Team. They seem to abandon ideas instead of improving on them. The Media Manager is one example, the ProType Titler is another. One release features that needed a few tweaks to be really useful but Sony immediately abandons them and leaves them to die.

I hope MAGIX isn't this short-sighted. :(

~jr

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Aug 5, 2016 at 8:59:49 pm

Improve OFX architecture's operational capacity, allowing better FX on-screen controls (similar to Avid Media Composer)

The following snapshots show Vegas control points for a BCC FX, which are simpler crosses, almost invisible. In Avid, the crosses are clearer, with visible colors (green, pink). Also in Avid, for some BCC effects, there are circles (green, blue, red) providing the main controls on preview screen, in order you can just drag and drop the handlers for adjusts. These circles aren't seen in Vegas.
Snapshots: http://www.evernote.com/l/AebHkj1mkZRC8aAGtCa36BH5NU-c2YhuL5I/

In a Boris forum thread I asked why BCC 10 control points are simpler in Vegas Pro and more elaborated in Avid Media Composer?

The answer: "This was actually due to a limitation in the OFX architecture's operational capacity, but this has opened up recently. Since this possibility has opened up now, we are in the process of introducing these on-screen controls for the OFX-based plugs". Jon

I'm not sure, but it sounds that some improvement from Vegas side would be necessary in order it can provide better FX on-screen controls.

Carlos_

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Aug 6, 2016 at 1:57:35 pm

"Basic Colors Swatch" with "Add to Custom Color"

When choosing colors, it would be handy to have a "Basic Colors Swatch" with "Add to Custom Color" option, complementary to Vegas current color selector. It is illustrated here: http://i.imgur.com/BkGCnvV.png

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Aug 6, 2016 at 2:15:51 pm

Please, a shortcut key to close pan-crop / effects properties dialogs ('Esc' for example).
Currently I'm unable to close such a window with keyboard, I have to hit that small X at the top-right corner.
'Esc' would add comfort and save some time now, and spare a few km (or miles) of mouse travel in a long term ;)

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Sep 7, 2016 at 6:51:15 pm

Sorry if I missed it in the list.

A feature along the line of FRAME IO would be more than welcome for VEGAS users.

Cheers !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]