FORUMS: list search recent posts

Greetings, From the Vegas Team

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Dettman
Greetings, From the Vegas Team
on May 26, 2016 at 3:56:28 pm

Many of you in the community are already aware of the news regarding the acquisition of Sony Creative Software products by MAGIX. The press release can be found here. http://www.magix.com/us/press/detail/?tx_news_pi1%5Bnews%5D=612&cHash=e5c07...

I am here to chime in and provide some more details specifically regarding Vegas Pro and future product development.

MAGIX has assembled an experienced, dedicated Vegas Pro development team here in the Madison Wisconsin area, under product owner Gary Rebholz. The new Vegas team consists of people from SCS, and a number of them date back to when that group was part of Sonic Foundry. They have worked diligently and passionately for almost two decades to make Vegas what it is today. We are a team already experienced with development and support of Vegas, working for a software company who is already experienced in Multimedia NLE development.

Our intent is to have a release of Vegas available in the fall of this year, and continue developing and supporting Vegas into the future. We would like to hear from you, the members of the Vegas Pro community, regarding your favorite features, specific things you would like to see addressed, and questions you may have.

Here are some answers to questions we already see in the community.

We have no intention of moving Vegas to a classic subscription model.
Current plan is to release Vegas Pro in the fall of this year.
MAGIX will develop Vegas and Movie Studio into the future.
MAGIX will continue to support all current SCS customers who purchased acquired products from Sony to ensure a seamless end user experience.

Thank you for your continued support. Your feedback is valuable and will help us enhance Vegas and return it to the level of tool we want it to be and something that will excite even new users.

-Eric Dettman
MAGIX Software GmbH

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Greetings, From the Vegas Team
on May 26, 2016 at 7:04:08 pm

This splendid news, Eric.

Thanks for coming across.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 26, 2016 at 8:11:54 pm

Greetings Eric.....Greetings.
Over at the Sony Vegas forum there is a long and detailed listing
regarding some users favorite features, specific things they would
like to see addressed, added and tweaked. Here is the link:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?messageid=945282

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on May 26, 2016 at 10:27:46 pm

Eric,

After two years without any development from Sony, it's GREAT to hear of the Magix acquisition. I already own some of the Magix products and have had good luck using them. It sounds like you have a "ready made" team of people familiar with the Vegas product (including Gary Rebholz). I know how the acquisition thing can potentially kill a product and development by the "suits" that make their pronouncements regardless of what the market is telling them. It sounds like with your already assembled talent and by LISTENING to what your customers are telling you, it should be a profitable business for Magix and you will continue to grow the base of users as you move forward. If you have monitored this site at all, you can see how DEAD SET most everyone is against the "ransomware" model that Adobe and others have been employing to extract payment from loyal customers. If you have provided a good product that the customer wants, you won't need to resort to ransomware. I applaud you decision to steer clear of that method of corporate enrichment.

I am just a consumer user, not a professional, yet I've purchased EVERY update of Sony Vegas from 6 forward. I love the product and what it can do without requiring me to be a professionally trained editor. I don't do this for money, I do it for the sheer enjoyment I get from starting each and every project and trying to "stretch" my skill or knowledge with each project. I've had luck with green screen and sports video presentations, with sound effects and music beds. Next I'd like to try some basic voiceover to see how that works on a project.

I've found the Creative Cow site to be "trolled" by people of expert knowledge in a variety of areas in connection to the Vegas product and I have learned a LOT by just perusing this site each day, to see what people are trying to do or trying to get help with. I am reinvigorated with the news of the Magix acquisition of Vegas!

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
on May 26, 2016 at 11:27:00 pm

Hi Eric and Vegas Pro developer team,

First of all, congratulations for the new Great Magix Vegas Pro developer team assembly. Sounds the new team is very interesting! And we are all glad that many of our worrying concerns has been answered. The future of Vegas Pro seems going to get interesting.

Greetings from Indonesia, I have been purchasing Vegas Pro since 8th version.

Setiawan

Return to posts index

Tom Pauncz
on May 27, 2016 at 2:28:26 am

And I have been a Vegas user since V3. Wouldn't/couldn't ask for anything better.

Cheers for now,
Tom Pauncz
(30WEST MEDiA GROUP)

Return to posts index

Wolfgang Schmid
on May 27, 2016 at 7:28:47 am

As a Vegas User since version 4 I think that the acquisition of the products by MAGIX is a new chance to continue the development of Vegas. It sounds great to me that you have taken over a lot of developers but also Gary, who acted in a great way also during betatests in the past. MAGIX should be aware that both in the States but also in Europe the expectations in the user base is high. Given the fact of poor communication in the last 1-2 years and the missing development of the product there is enough to do. The first part - the communication - starts great. It will be also great to see what happens on the product development side hopefully.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 27, 2016 at 7:51:57 am

Eric

Thanks for your message of support. I think Sony's silence was beginning to have damaging effect and I know of a few editors who have already jumped ship. Hopefully your message hemorrhages any further defections.

As a semi-pro editor, feature-wise I would like to know if Magix and the creator of many Vaast products, John Rofrano, will continue to support the plugin's, particularly the Ultimate S Pro tool set which I swear by for multicam editing.

Secondly, does Magix's support for the Vegas Pro extend to DVD Architect or will that be re-engineered? It has some great capabilities but also a few shortcomings, the main one which is lack of multi-threaded support. Authoring takes a-g-e-s.

I had a dabble in Resolve and Catalyst, but they just don't cut the mustard when it comes to multicam editing. Hideous a.k.a Edius just makes hard work of simple edits. I've been using Vegas since version 8, tasted a bit of Avid, Pinnacle Studio and Premiere and just couldn't get any stability out of them, albeit that was in the days of XP/Vista. Vegas has been a solid performer for me since 2006 and has never let me down.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 29, 2016 at 12:20:36 pm

[Nigel O'Neill] "As a semi-pro editor, feature-wise I would like to know if Magix and the creator of many Vaast products, John Rofrano, will continue to support the plugin's, particularly the Ultimate S Pro tool set which I swear by for multicam editing."
I can answer that. ;-)

VASST Software will continue to support Vegas Pro and Movie Studio under MAGIX ownership. I've already started these discussions with Gary Rebholz. We'll announce more as we know more but our intent is to continue support for our products.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Frederic Baumann
on May 27, 2016 at 9:02:48 am

I also think this is pretty good news, especially with Gary as product owner!

If I had one wish, I would vote for a more reliable and more efficient GPU acceleration on preview and rendering.

My 2 cents,
Frédéric

--

FBmn Software: Professional GPU-powered plug-ins to fix White Balance and Exposure issues in a few clics.
Color-matching made easy with the ColorMatch plug-in.

Want to learn on Sony Vegas Event Pan/Crop tool? Watch my tutorial.
Or about Keyframes? Watch this one. French version here.

Return to posts index

Blayde Stone
on May 27, 2016 at 12:24:54 pm

Yes this is comforting news for sure... Glad the future is looking bright for us Vegas users, and glad they will be incorporating some user suggested items into newer programs, will be Praying this goes smoothly for you all, thanks again for a great product!!

Return to posts index

Neal Barlow
on May 27, 2016 at 4:58:45 pm

I too will echo what everyone else has said. This is great news! and I love the fact that you are opening communication with us users.

Sony has been my bread and butter since version 3 and I was ready to walk and go to Premiere. I run my Video company at night, but during the day, I teach a video pathways program at a high school where I teach upwords of 120 students. Vegas has been the goto for the past 5 years since it was not only a great tool, but affordable for the students. We used Movie Studio, but I run Pro for my business. One thing that bothered me in version 13 of Movie Studio was that the fade became a separate tool, and you had to select it separate rather than leaving it alone and making tracks natively respond when you grabbed their corners like in Pro and how it was in the past. I just straight up liked it better when Movie Studio didn't have a different interface look from Pro. I think v11 had a better feel.

I'd love to see some smother export options as it's always seemed clunky when I have had to do work in After Effects and tried exporting for Premiere. So I'd love to see that ironed out a little bit more. I'd also give a thumbs up to having multiple timelines open in one instance (someone else mentioned that already I think). I think Premiere calls it sequences, rather than the nesting option of current - I've never had that work to my advantage.

Also, the text editor needs to be rethought. I end up going back to Legacy text and using that as I always felt that the number and settings were always relative as far as lining things up in the new text editor. It's just not as smooth as when I use After Effects, and I would love to see that rethought.

I'd also really like to see DVD Architect kept alive. I still use that every week for clients for DVDs and Blu-rays and would love to see some simple things added to it like a rotation option on objects.

All-in-all I'm just glad that someone who cares about the product is at the helm and has great vision for the future!

So excited to see what comes!

Neal Barlow
To The Skies Productions
Gh2,Gh3, Canon XA10, Sony Vegas 13, Adobe CC2014 and Stuff, cause that's the real secret ingredient.

Return to posts index

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
on May 27, 2016 at 5:22:58 pm

Totally agree with Neal Barlow for DVD Architect, and possibility of updating the Blu-ray authoring capability, especially for the Top Menu and Quick Menu.

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
on May 28, 2016 at 1:56:18 am

Im In and pleasantly supprised

PC 1
I7 2.8 Ghz 16GB Ram
SSD 850 Pro OS drive
2x 850 EVO Raid 1TB
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
GeForce GTX 960

PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
SSD 850 Pro OS drive
2x 850 EVO Raid 1TB
3-4 TB HD
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
XFX Radeon R9 290

Vegas 13 & Adobe Production Premium CS6 & -Edius 7.5 Pro -Sony Catalyst Production Suite

Camera
Sony EX1 shoot in 1920x1080 30P

Return to posts index

Carlos Zapater
on May 28, 2016 at 11:20:33 am

Neal Barlow has a good point in his analisys. I'm not the most active forum user precisely but I use Vegas from the time when it was an audio editor only. These last years I saw that Vegas was only a tool to support the new Sony video formats and the tiny annoying things that needed to be adressed were left behind.

Things so tiny like going directly to the folder where the main project is saved when you are going to render instead of going to the folder you saved last project. It's a small thing but annoying. And like this there are a lot more that doesn't make sense, heritage from the very old versions. Real productivity was not a priority. Well, at least not according to what Sony understands 'productivity'. The multiple timelines, the cursor doing weird things...

I'm always skeptical when a good piece of software is bought. I saw that with discreet Combustion. A software that was left dying of its own age and whose last versions where merely two plugins more than the previous. Vegas is one of the best editors and can be the best. The team now behind of development is great but it has an enormous task. I hope they can delivery what editors need: the old Vegas Philosophy that Sonic Foundry had before Sony acquired the products.

I encourage you to do it.

Thank you very much for that communication.

Return to posts index

Craig Meeks
on May 28, 2016 at 11:18:16 pm

Super stoked to read this. I am a professional user. I've been semi stressing out about finding a suitable alternative to Vegas Pro, but now I don't have to :)

Craig Meeks
http://www.bluefortressmedia.com

Return to posts index

Faisal Abdalgani
on May 29, 2016 at 5:28:16 am

Hi

One point would like to know that if you have plan to do development in order to make the Decklink Mini convertor card to work ? or the new cards from black magic or AJA?

Regards

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on May 29, 2016 at 8:47:31 pm

Love all the news and support from Magix and am greatly anticipating what they do. Here's a few of my suggestions.

-Better running text plugins with more options. Even the Legacy text plugin is slow. A freakin' text editor! Deleting or editing text involves a lot of latency. With any of the other text plugins it runs like molasses.
-Better chroma key plugin. Right now it's very rudimentary.
-More options and flexibility with transitions
-Ability to make "disable resample" on events available by default or to set them by certain parameters (like when I have video of one framerate mixed with video of another framerate that will be output to the second framerate). Also, disable resample as an option across media, not just events.
-Fix the bugs! Vegas is a lot more stable for me than previous versions, but please check bug reports and crashes.
-Sony was notoriously unresponsive to technical support questions. Please be the opposite (you're shaping up to be that way already. I appreciate it!)

Finally,

-MARKET VEGAS. Promote it. Show you stand behind it (which Sony did not do). We could use all the support that we'd get if Vegas is actually backed by Magix so that it becomes a wider used tool in filmmaking and videography. We all benefit if it's more industry standard, powerful, and widely adopted. I happily contribute a little to that by including info in the description of every YouTube video I make saying I edit my videos on Vegas and link to the site to buy it (and I will update this for Magix)

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on May 29, 2016 at 8:53:58 pm

Also,

-Better multi-cam editing functionality
-Bit rate calculator

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Meeks
on May 30, 2016 at 1:02:59 am

Support for 3D models would be amazing. If not possible, at least a better more robust connection with Hitfilm so we can easily integrate Hitfilm's 3D model support into our workflow.

Craig Meeks
http://www.bluefortressmedia.com

Return to posts index

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
on May 30, 2016 at 1:53:27 am

Having 3D Models support seems too far for Vegas Pro.... better leave that function for HitFilm's...

Setiawan

Chungs Video Production
Bandung, Indonesia

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on May 30, 2016 at 2:47:36 am

Magix should push a small build update to Vegas 13 asap, just to change the references to Sony, install folders, and any URLs that link to Sony.

Return to posts index

salim samou
on May 31, 2016 at 12:43:08 am

The number one reason I use Vegas for editing because of its daw like workflow ,as an audio guy to start I love how Sony workflow to video tracks is very similar to audio daw editing and would love that to stay ,things over the years that needed to be added and wish to be added real soon are
1- being able to use gpu and effectively , I think Sony might be the worst at this ,I really didn't see much of performance advantage to using newer and more expensive cards
2- add Lut's nativaly ,with good preview performance (not need to use magic bullet which is slow with Vegas)
3- some kind of ability to track areas and points nativaly (with good performance) and being able to add effects to the tracked area or point
4- Color selectivity (like resolve ) with also being able to add effects to selection
5- highlight ,mid tone , and shadows tools (resolve like) with being able to change saturation levels
6-master session clip property session ,being able to import a track and track automatically changes to the specified properties with out needing to go to track properties and changing every time
7-3D tracking would be amazing (rather than regular basic tracking I asked for in number 3)
8- ability to import raw (blackmagic cameras) and prores with God performance
9-ability to zoom in and out on preview window
10- ability to use Arabic fonts and different styles of it in text track ,I know many asked for this over the years but was very limited

Return to posts index

Pat Keough
on May 31, 2016 at 1:55:16 pm

This is VERY good news. When I first got the email from Sony reporting the sale, I thought it was the final nail in the coffin. Sony's Catalyst suite is a joke right now. I couldn't get any info out of them regarding Vegas so I bought a BMCC primarily for the Resolve license. I love the power of resolve but having come from a Vegas background, I find myself frustrated with the edit portion just like premiere.

In any case, when you guys release a new version I will certainly demo it and if it isn't a turd, we will buy it. THANK YOU for promising not to go the subscription route! I will never pay into that business model.

Anyhow, as far as I am concerned, there is only one aspect of current Vegas that urgently needs attention and that is GPU acceleration. The current stability during edit and preview I can almost live with but I cannot render out a project of any substantial length without random render crashing when GPU is enabled.

I will also agree that the ProType text editor chugs miserably when you add shadow or other effects.

Anyhow, thank you to Magix for apparently not just acquiring a name and customer database. Vegas users are very loyal for good reason.

Return to posts index

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
on May 31, 2016 at 4:07:20 pm

We also have make our 'first contact conversations' between Vegas community users and Magix community users, in http://www.magix.info forum.

Thanks to Grazie's first greetings here, http://www.magix.info/us/magix-purchases-sony-creative-software-products-in..., user browj2 also shared his opinion of Vegas Pro as Magix user.

Setiawan

Chungs Video Production
Bandung, Indonesia

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 7, 2016 at 4:29:39 pm

Hello Eric & Magix,

Great news to see that Vegas will continue. Hopefully this will also include Sound Forge, CD & DVD Architect, ACID and updated Loops & Samples libraries.

I would like to see for Vegas:

Please add the capability of Opacity to the Event Pan/Crop tool and maybe allow other options to be added as well.

I came across this limitation when I was trying to create those old VH1 Pop-Up style videos using Vegas Pro. (At each position in the video I have to change Opacity but I could not)

Composite Envelope is a track Property and the Pan/Crop tool is an event property so If I moved an event all sync is lost between the event pan/crop keyframes and any keyframes in the Opacity (composite) envelope.

I would love to see this implemented in an update to Vegas Pro.

Thanks,

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 7, 2016 at 5:09:18 pm

This is great news. I have used Vegas since it was audio only. If you add a good chromakey effect and add the ability to have a midi track trigger a sampler in an audio track, like Sony Acid does, I would never have to leave Sony Vegas from beginning to the end of a Music video production. It would also be the only NLE that would do it all.
Best regards Eric. Danny

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]