FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why do So many camera's use .Mov format and camera suggestions

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Leigh
Why do So many camera's use .Mov format and camera suggestions
on May 12, 2016 at 12:28:12 am

This is something that has always bothered me and I don't understand. Now that I am looking to retire my HDR-FX-1 (love the .Mt2 format in Vegas hate the tape hassles) Why do so many camera's use the .mov format? If in many cases this is just a wrapper why don't they use the Generic format? I understand most pro's use Mac's but even cheap camera's (not pro) seem to use the this format.
Which leads to my next question. I want to buy a new camera and I'm looking for suggestions. I only shoot HD no 4k, I work myself shooting myself so I prefer the camcorder approach over the DSLR. I would like a little depth of field control but it doesn't be as good as DSLR.
XLR inputs would make life a lot easier.
My current .Mt2 files are smooth as silk on my Vegas system so something that didn't bog it down too much. One thing I love about vegas is no transcoding so I would love the files to work native. Now the two hard parts I would like it to record friendly files for Vegas, BUT seeing how Vegas is done in the future I may choose to switch to Final Cut OR Preimere. (I have too much software that's getting long in the tooth and I would like it to be happy with OS updates)
I am considering the Sony NX100 or PXW70 I would like to spend less 2k.
Any suggestions.
Thank You
Brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 16 Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, AMD R280, Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
Re: Why do So many camera's use .Mov format and camera suggestions
on May 12, 2016 at 7:41:12 pm

I use Canon's Vixia G30 and love them (have 3). I have been using them since the G10 (still have 1) and love so much about them. The 30's shoot in MP4 35mbps at 1080p. Works great in Vegas and still can use the LANC controllers and have 20X zoom vs the 12x in the two you listed.

If you NEED to have XLR inputs, you can upgrade to the XA series which is just the same as the G10 or G30 with XLR inputs and HDSDI out (on SOME of them).

I use the G30's and a Zoom H6 and still save a ton over buying the XA series.

With that said, I HAVE moved to the Panasonic GH4 and LLLLLOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE working with a DSLR. There are no time limits to recording, shoots in HD or 4K and I have a ton of native and adapted vintage glass that is so nice to use.

That being said, there are some things you loose with a DSLR, but I love it for my more creative shoots.

That is my 2 cents, Sony has some great cameras as well, I wouldn't steer clear of 4K, you can do post zooms and pans that are so cool and still keep your delivery in HD.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Why do So many camera's use .Mov format and camera suggestions
on May 14, 2016 at 1:44:27 am

[Brad Leigh] "Why do so many camera's use the .mov format? If in many cases this is just a wrapper why don't they use the Generic format? I understand most pro's use Mac's but even cheap camera's (not pro) seem to use the this format."
You just answered your own questions. Many pro's have always used Mac's but the Mac is gaining in popularity with non-pros as well while Windows sales are declining so it's a simple case of supply and demand. I moved to the Mac 4 years ago so I actually enjoy the trend. ;-)

Sorry I don't have a camera recommendation. I haven't purchased a new camera in quite some time so I'm still shooting HDV and AVCHD.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]