FORUMS: list search recent posts

Open In Graphics Editor - "Wayne's World" : Thank you!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Bernard
Open In Graphics Editor - "Wayne's World" : Thank you!
on May 9, 2016 at 4:12:02 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on May 9, 2016 at 4:20:23 am

Huh, solution.

It's one of those "Easy when you know why" incidents. Simply put, I had setup my Graphics Editor Corel X8 to deal with in-coming RAWS CR2s with the internal RAW editor, automatically. This really should be no biggie. It's what I wanted to happen. However - uggghhhh - this would then ADD a " - 1 " SUFFIX to the end of the IMG_5169-Take 01 and make it IMG_5169-Take 01 -1 . IMHO - this is really bad practice by X8.

I've tested and re-tested this and can confirm that this was the case in that I have NOW set my X8 NOT to automatically launch my X8 Internal RAW editor but let me do the editing instead. I've now UNCHECKED this option:-

To add a SUFFIX to an original File, 'cos of an internal Tool?! - Not acceptable.

Thank you Wayne for your patient support during ALL of this and creating the script in the first place to deal with my RAWs. THANK YOU!!

Best regards

Graham "Grazie" Bernard

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Open In Graphics Editor - "Wayne's World" : Thank you!
on May 9, 2016 at 4:30:50 am

This is the best news I've heard all night. I think I'll have another pint. Things really are easy "once you know how". My suspicion all along was that it was really something very simple. One thing I've learned is that looking at screen shots often conveys the information you need to solve a problem in very unusual ways. I'm really glad that it's finally working for you. As always, your suggestions and feedback are most welcomed.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 9, 2016 at 4:39:16 am

[Wayne Waag] " As always, your suggestions and feedback are most welcomed."
Thank you.

However . . . On the Corel Forums I've posted my "thoughts" about X8 renaming an original file 'cos of my decision to use the Auto Launching of their Internal RAW editor is plainly, at best silly, and at worst dangerous to workflow.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 9, 2016 at 5:42:54 am

Not done yet . . .. oh nooooo.....

It now appears I can NOT send a RAW directly into X8, have it Open Up and then apply the RAW Editor. Once the RAW is IN X8 the are only two ways to get to the RAW Editor Toolset, via a thumbnail in "Manage" or directly from a Folder? Have you heard of anything more ridiculous? Once opened in the Edit option the RAW tool is blind to that Layer or Photo. I can't see a way to access the RAW Tool.

I've now tried my AfterShotPro2 for RAW, similar to LightRoom, and that is plain dumb to where the TAKE has come from and wont keep that Folder in memory to export out to.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 9, 2016 at 3:51:07 pm

Graham,
I'm really confused. Regardless of whether I open a file directly from within X8 or from the script in Vegas, this is the screen I get.

Is this not the camera raw editor? However, I have found that once I close it, I cannot re-open it. In any case, it may be due to the fact I am using an evaluation version of X8.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 9, 2016 at 4:54:37 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on May 9, 2016 at 4:55:30 pm

Graham,

Back to basics. Are you using Corel PaintShopPro X8 or Corel Photo-Paint X8 that is part of the Corel-draw suite? I have been using the latter.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 9, 2016 at 4:56:17 pm

I've been using the former.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 9, 2016 at 5:42:21 pm

Just downloaded PSP X8 and can now replicate your problem. At least, we're now on the same page. I still don't understand why that suffix is added. In any case, let me think about changing the script to somehow accommodate this by simply ignoring the suffix.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 9, 2016 at 6:06:41 pm

So, Wayne, you can now see this nonsense for yourself eh? I've asked why on the official Corel X8 Forum. I really don't see why this should be added to something as fundamental as a file name.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 9, 2016 at 7:05:17 pm

Graham,
You can download the revised "Open Stills in Graphic Editor.dll" and try it. It simply ignores anything that is added to the file name. Hopefully, this will solve the problem for X8. I need to do some additional testing just to make sure it hasn't broken anything for other editors. But in any case, give it a try and see if it works for you. One other thing, in File Format Preferences, the Open Raw images with Camera RAW Lab is ticked so that it automatically opens the camera RAW window.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 9, 2016 at 7:36:49 pm

[Wayne Waag] "One other thing, in File Format Preferences, the Open Raw images with Camera RAW Lab is ticked so that it automatically opens the camera RAW window."
Yes, Wayne I know I even posted above here a Screengrab to demonstrate this. Didn't you see that?

Anyway, this -1 is a complete numbty thing for Corel to do.

I look forward to testing your newest solution tomorrow.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 9, 2016 at 7:43:38 pm

Yes, Wayne I know I even posted above here a Screengrab to demonstrate this. Didn't you see that?

Yes I did. I only meant that you can now leave it ticked, so that it automatically opens the Camera RAW editor window.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 9, 2016 at 8:29:43 pm

Good!

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 9, 2016 at 9:23:59 pm

Yes, that's working fine now. Even though there is that silly -1 added to the Preview Tab in X8 and when I SAVE AS there is that -1, whatever you've done, parse's it outta the way now and VegasPro13 sees it and uses it as a Take.

Good show Wayne!

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 9, 2016 at 9:54:45 pm

Glad it's working--finally!! It's been a long journey. It really helped being able to debug using the same program you are using--PaintShopPro rather than PhotoPaint--pretty confusing. I used PaintShoPro years ago--primarily for removing "crazy eyes" from pet photos. It was a lot easier than Photoshop.

The technique I used for parsing may enable me to eliminate the need to specify in advance in the Settings what type of file Vegas expects. That would further simplify using the script for camera RAW files. If and when I update, I'll post back.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 15, 2016 at 6:07:45 am

[Wayne Waag] " I used PaintShoPro years ago--primarily for removing "crazy eyes" from pet photos. It was a lot easier than Photoshop."
I've been using PSP since Ver3 (?), I started using it as part of the "other" product that came from the same UK stable (?) that makes a great Presentation package for web input.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]