FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 13 - video frame rate issues

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian May-Wilson
Sony Vegas Pro 13 - video frame rate issues
on May 8, 2016 at 5:29:26 pm

Hey all, I'm fairly new to editing videos with Sony Vegas Pro (v.13) and have today stumbled across an issue I am entirely unable to solve and so I was hoping I would be able to get some help from here. I hope I'm posting in the right place here.

So, I thus far have had absolutely no problem with editing and rendering gameplay videos which tend to be recorded at using OBS, and I've also similarly had no problems with footage from a GoPro camera. However, I am currently trying to edit some footage taken on two separate phone cameras and I'm running into the same problem with a lot of it.

Essentially, some of the videos will just lag like crazy, only displaying a frame every few seconds. At first I assumed this was just in the preview, but the rendered videos also displayed the same horrific frame rates. Then I thought that it was because there are literally hundreds of files (it's a lot of very short files taken on a holiday) and so some of them might have recorded differently. So I tried making a separate SVP project and placing just one of the lagging files into it (so that the project would adjust to the frame rate and ratio and so-on of that particular video) but that had absolutely no effect and the videos still tend to only play at ridiculously low frame rates.

I've been searching around for at least an hour now and seen a couple of "solutions" online (there are some tutorials involving disabling/enabling smart sampling or pre-rendering the videos) but none of them have really helped. Part of the problem is obviously that I don't really understand what the issue is and what these solutions are designed to fix.

Anyway, while there is no immediate rush, because I still have to cut a lot of the footage. The raw footage itself looks fine and I really want to try and have everything playing at its best quality. Any help would be appreciated (and I can try offer more information if necessary).

Cheers guys!

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 - video frame rate issues
on May 8, 2016 at 8:36:04 pm

The problem is that Vegas Pro and other high end editors expect constant frame rates for your video. Unfortunately, most cell phone video uses variable frame rate recording. A lot of game recording software does the same, resulting in similar problems within Vegas. The solution for video you've already recorded, is that you will have to re-render to a constant frame rate. You can use Handbrake (freeware), making sure that you select constant frame rate for your re-render. You'll lose some quality, but it probably won't be too noticeable.

Long term, you need to make sure that your cell phone is recording at a constant frame rate. There is an app for both iPhone and android devices which will enable you to do just this. The name is FiLMiC Pro--it's only about $10 but well worth it to avoid this problem. Personally, I've never used it (I don't record cell phone video.), but it comes highly recommended. Good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Sebastian May-Wilson
on Sep 24, 2016 at 5:32:18 pm

Cheers Wayne!

I never responded to this, but that actually completely solved the problem! Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 24, 2016 at 9:30:20 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. It's good to know that the variable frame rate issue was the real source of the problem, since I don't do video recordings from a cell phone.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 24, 2016 at 11:54:09 pm

I have found that XSplit records in a constant frame rate mode, and is very similar to OBS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]