FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to open Prores Media/Media offline after uninstalling/reinstalling quicktime

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake Gibson
Unable to open Prores Media/Media offline after uninstalling/reinstalling quicktime
on May 1, 2016 at 8:39:57 am

Hi guys, got a bit of a curly one here... a bit frustrating...

here's what's happening:

Sony Vegas Pro 12 Can no longer open/read Prores files from my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, getting errors.

I recently uninstalled QuickTime due to the security concerns and I was going to re-install a custom install without the player and disable browser plug-ins etc so I still get the codecs, which a lot of people have been doing... but I figured out after attempting that Vegas needs the player installed. So I uninstalled Quicktime completely and tried "QuickTime Alternative" (Version 3.2.2) as I didn't want Quicktime on my machine anymore just in case.

After installing the Alternative, I discovered that I could no longer export to DNXHD. My export presets were still there but the box was blank when I clicked on "customize template", like the DNXHD coded was completely gone. If I tried to use the preset anyway, I would get an error "An error occurred opening codec", ok so for some reason the DNXHD codec was gone completely.

Then I read about just renaming the QuickTime executable. So I installed Quicktime again (lastest version 7.79.80.95 that I downloaded from the apple site) and was just going to do that.... but found that when I opened old projects I would receive an error:

Sometimes I get something similar and just have to relink one of the files and Vegas automatically asks if I want to relink all other files for this project as it detects them in the same folder structure (sometimes my drive letter mappings change as I use external drives, no biggie). But this is saying there is an error and made me select each file individually, which I did and when I was finished I got:

So instead of that I tried the other option to "ignore all errors" instead of "choose replacement file" and my project opened but all the media was offline and I have no idea how to re-link it

I'm pretty sure even if I could relink it, it wouldn't work anyway as I tried to create a new project with a fresh prores file and got the same "error could not be determined" as before...

So I went back to Quicktime Alternative and re-installed the Avid codecs and it worked fine, I was able to do everything again... open Prores files, export to DNXHD etc... but I would prefer going back to Quicktime and just renaming the player because that seems to be a known workaround for the security vulnerability issues on windows, and there is no information regarding Quicktime Alternative around, which may or may not be worse!!

So for some reason I can't open prores files anymore at all using Quicktime... but If I use Quicktime Alternative I can....

Just for testing I opened other files fine: h264 .mov files from my Canon DSLR. But a project with a mix of the canon h264 files and the BMPCC prores files has issues, namely the prores files just don't work (same media offline issue) but the canon h264 files are fine.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? The only thing I can think of is that the Quicktime install is newer than the one I first installed about 2 years ago and for some reason maybe it needs the same older version? I know that doesn't make sense right? But it's all I can think of as surely there's no way that installing Quicktime Alternative has somehow done something to my machine and "locked" all prores files to its version of the codec so now I can only use it? Everything was working fine until I uninstalled Quicktime and installed Quicktime alternative.

I think I vaguely remember having to install an extra prores decoder when I initially installed quicktime two years ago to get prores working in Vegas, So I downloaded that (version 1.0) and tried to install it but it said a later version already exists on my machine.

I've also tried ctrl+shift+double click to clear cache and restore vegas default settings etc

Just tried installing an earlier versions of quicktime - 7.76.80.95 and it didn't work

Return to posts index

Blake Gibson
Re: Unable to open Prores Media/Media offline after uninstalling/reinstalling quicktime
on May 1, 2016 at 8:45:23 am

OK so I just installed and even earlier version of Quicktime - 7.6.92.0 and it worked!

Everything appears to be back to normal... it must have been 7.6 I initially used two years ago... Which makes sense because the next version, 7.76 was released in Oct 2014, but I initially installed it in Jan 2014 and 7.6 was released in 2009 with nothing until 7.76 in Oct 2014. I read that 7.76 comes with the prores decoder 1.0 and earlier didn't which explains why I vaguely remember having to install it... but that doesn't explain why newer version of Quicktime didn't work...

So it works... but does anyone know why newer versions aren't working? Should they?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Unable to open Prores Media/Media offline after uninstalling/reinstalling quicktime
on May 1, 2016 at 6:05:42 pm

[Blake Gibson] "but does anyone know why newer versions aren't working? Should they?"
I have QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows working fine with ProRes 422 files in Vegas Pro 13. So the latest QuickTime should work.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Blake Gibson
on May 2, 2016 at 5:34:34 am

Thanks John.

Do you think it's because 7.79 comes with the Prores decoder and I have the prores decoder already installed? I can't think of why it wouldn't work for me. Even though I have the prores decoder I can't find it to uninstall to test my theory. I would much prefer the newest quicktime than one that's like 7 years old.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 2, 2016 at 11:33:50 am

It's hard to say. There was a time when the ProRes decoder was a separate download and now it's included so if you have that separate decoder installed, it could be causing the problem but you would think that the new installer would look for it and remove it? The whole "uninstall QuickTime" nonsense as done a lot of damage to people who blindly followed it. Sorry to hear you got caught up in it.

~jr

Return to posts index

Blake Gibson
on May 2, 2016 at 12:48:13 pm

[John Rofrano] "It's hard to say. There was a time when the ProRes decoder was a separate download and now it's included so if you have that separate decoder installed, it could be causing the problem but you would think that the new installer would look for it and remove it? The whole "uninstall QuickTime" nonsense as done a lot of damage to people who blindly followed it. Sorry to hear you got caught up in it."

Yeah I'll look for a way to uninstall it this week at some stage.

I think the issue, for me at least, was how vague it was. There was no real exact "this is what causes the problem" that I saw or that anyone could explain. I read to just uninstall the player and that's where my issues started.

Actually, I read you posted in another thread to just renamed the executable player file in the program files folder right? I did that and I could no longer open prores files, I had to reinstall quicktime for it to work.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 2, 2016 at 6:06:41 pm

[Blake Gibson] "Actually, I read you posted in another thread to just renamed the executable player file in the program files folder right? I did that and I could no longer open prores files, I had to reinstall quicktime for it to work."
Yea, it's extremely unfortunate that after a short period of time you can no longer edit your posts because I realized after that it doesn't work but now that post is out there with bad information. :(

~jr

Return to posts index

Blake Gibson
on May 3, 2016 at 1:14:08 am

[John Rofrano] "Yea, it's extremely unfortunate that after a short period of time you can no longer edit your posts because I realized after that it doesn't work but now that post is out there with bad information. :("

Oh, right. So do you know what the story is then? Do we just not use the player and disable all browser plugins and hope for the best?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 5, 2016 at 10:57:05 am

[Blake Gibson] "Do we just not use the player and disable all browser plugins and hope for the best?"
That's all you can do since QuickTime is not "officially" supported on Windows after Windows 7. (i.e., Apple dropped support back when Windows 8 was announced).

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]