FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old Vegas DVDs not playing in new Blu-ray player. Suggestions for re-authoring to preserve them

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim schuler
Old Vegas DVDs not playing in new Blu-ray player. Suggestions for re-authoring to preserve them
on May 1, 2016 at 2:19:34 am

So, some years back (Vegas 5 or 6 I think) I made a slew of family and for-hire DVDs.

I brought these out today to review some and found they only play in an older DVD player and not in my current Sony BDv-T57 blu-ray theater.

I'm guessing it's a disc compatibility issue with the player. Either way I want to bring the old Discs forward to blu-ray.

Q: What's a solid way to get these video_ts items (menus and all) put onto blu-ray?

I don't think I have the masters for all of this anymore. I'm going to go worst-case and suspect I am left only with the discs in my hand.

I'm not trying to improve the quality, thought that would be nice. I'm simply trying to preserve these on current media--and in the process I'll probably render them out to a hard drive for local streaming.

But, I want the discs preserved to include the menus as there was a lot of custom animation put into those.

Any / all input is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Old Vegas DVDs not playing in new Blu-ray player. Suggestions for re-authoring to preserve them
on May 1, 2016 at 5:30:59 am

My immediate thought would be to slap the DVD into your PC and use the VP DVD import facility and then go and do the BU render process. Would that float yer boat? I've never rendered BU, being satisfied with my SONY DVD Player and BRAVIA to make a great job of Uprezzing.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

jim schuler
Re: Old Vegas DVDs not playing in new Blu-ray player. Suggestions for re-authoring to preserve them
on May 2, 2016 at 12:56:38 am

Hi, and thanks for responding.

You mean, drop it into Vegas?

I'd like to not lose the DVD menus if possible. Perhaps DVDA would have something for this?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 2, 2016 at 3:21:44 am
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on May 2, 2016 at 3:24:31 am

[Jim Schuler]

Interesting question. I rather doubt that any DVD/BluRay authoring program such as DVDA or TMPGEnc's Authoring Works are going to do you much good, since they start with clips and then build the menu part around them. Here is a thread on VideoHelp that may be of use. http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367733-Putting-multiple-DVD-images-onto-... Sounds like someone else was asking the same question. Doesn't sound too promising.

An easier solution in my view--just use a DVD player that works. Since Blu-ray players also play DVDs, it's surprising that your new one doesn't--perhaps that's the problem. My Sony Blu-ray players have no problem with older DVDs that I've burned. In any case, good luck and please share if you find something that works.

wwaag

Return to posts index

jim schuler
on May 2, 2016 at 5:00:23 pm

It's odd.

I borrowed a blu-ray player loaner from a friend to test, and his panasonic DMP-BDT220 played these older DVDs fine.

I checked my SONY BDV-T57 manual and it says it supports DVD: +R -R and -RW +RW.

there is a note that says a DVD won't play it wasn't finalized properly. I made them in DVDA 4 or 5 I think. But, they played fine on a blu-ray player so i'm lost.

Would not DVDA alert me if a disc hadn't been finalized?

My T57 is up to date on firmware too.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 4, 2016 at 5:42:48 am

[jim schuler] "Would not DVDA alert me if a disc hadn't been finalized?
"

Never heard of such a notification?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]