FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Script: Open Stills in Graphic Editor

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Waag
New Script: Open Stills in Graphic Editor
on May 1, 2016 at 1:28:33 am
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on May 1, 2016 at 1:32:28 am

For anyone interested, I've put together a new script "Open Stills in Graphic Editor". It's very similar to the script "Open in Graphic Editor" written some years ago with some notable exceptions. First, no more problems saving files after editing, including PSD files. Second, no more diappearing taskbar icons. And third, you can open camera Raw files in your editor, and after editing, save to a file format of your choice. The key difference between this and the earlier script is that Takes are added "after" editing is completed, not before, which explains why there isn't a problem saving files--Vegas doesn't yet have its handles on them. Back in Vegas after editing, there is a message box which can be closed with a mouse click or return key and at that point the takes are added. I have tested the script on Versions 9, 10, 12, and 13 of Vegas using Photoshop CC as the graphic editor--the only one I have--with a variety of formats including JPG, BMP, TIFF, PSD, GIF, PNG, and RW2 (Panasonic raw). For anyone who wants to use raw, you will have to download and install the Microsoft Camera Codecs package.

For those using PSD files with layers on different tracks, changes will be applied only to the track event containing the layer that was selected. In other words, the new take will be added to only that layer, leaving the remaining layers unchanged. So if you want to change two layers, you need to make two round trips to the editor. Alternatively, you could make changes to multiple layers, save and then replace the original file with the take, in this way applying changes to all layers.

If you're interested in trying the script, it can be found here, along with a png file suitable for a taskbar icon and also some notes on installation and use.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ikcv54i404xz6e6/AAD93sQz0X67-UiTG5oJJVE9a?dl=0

Many thanks to John Rofrano and Ed Troxel for their help with this script. I've also used code written by Vegasaur staff for restoring taskbar icons, although I don't think it's needed, but it's there anyway, just in case. You will have to make changes to the script identifying the filepath of your editor and also the type of format for saves when editing camera Raw files. These are explained in the notes. Comments and feedback are welcomed. If there are problems, send me a PM (address in notes).

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: New Script: Open Stills in Graphic Editor
on May 1, 2016 at 4:15:33 am

Awesome job Wayne!!!

This is what truly makes this a great community. People taking what others have done and improving on it and contributing it back to the community.

:-D

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on May 1, 2016 at 8:26:43 am

Thanx a lot for your contribution!!!
I' ve made just a quick testing in sv12. It opens an event in ps and updates the timeline after saving edits in photoshop. no problems with administartive rights! All those issues gone. Job well done! Thank you.
but I have few remarks.

is it possible to make it work with original file like the old script did (it had an option to choose in fact)
this new script is good for simple editing, it reasons with simple projects with non-layered graphics or simple psds. but imagine edits on 10 layered psd and 10 is not so much for me in fact. imagine that i need to edit half of layers. each edit is a new take and new psd file. so i end up with 6 psd files, 10 layers each. i am quite good when i work inside of vegas. but when i need to work in photoshop only i have no idea which edited layer i have in which psd file, so it is a total mess for me. but wait!!! when i need to re-edit in vegas already edited event, it creates another new psd file to any smalest change I need, OMG!!! this way starting whit a single psd i can end up with tens of them without any clue what edits I have in which of them...
it would be all gone if i had a chance just to open a psd, edit it and save it with updating the original event in sv and original file outside of it. if you could make that happen I would worship you to the and of my days.
Until than thank you again so very much

SV12 on Qosmio X70/win 8.1/i7-4700MQ/RAM 16GB/NVIDIA GF GTX770M (3GB)

come find me: http://www.facebook.com/longhairfilms
instagram: longhairfilms

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 1, 2016 at 2:29:43 pm

is it possible to make it work with original file like the old script did (it had an option to choose in fact)

Yes, that is very easy to do. In fact, this is the approach for editing Camera Raw files. Open the original, do your editing and then save to a new file. While you could easily do the same for PSD files, you're back to the problem of saving your edits since Vegas has its handles already established on that file. The advantage of the approach I've taken is that Vegas doesn't "know" they exist and thus there is no problem saving your work. For whatever reason, Vegas does not easily release those handles. For example, you can easily "remove from project" a PSD file, but you cannot "Remove from Project and Delete Files". The PSD remains "locked" until you close Vegas.

As a workaround for the moment, you can open your multi-layered PSD file from any selected layer, do your editing to the entire file and save. The changes will be added only to the original layer. However, you can then then "replace" the original file with the new Take and all layers will be updated. It's an extra step, but it will get around the problems you mention.

I'll look into having this option within the script itself. It should be easy to bring up a dialog box with the two options (update to single layer or all layers) and if all layers is selected, then the file would be replaced after editing.

Thanks for the feedback.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 1, 2016 at 7:50:16 pm

[Paul Belter]

if you could make that happen I would worship you to the and of my days.

Be prepared to bow down. LOL. The script has been revised to do what I think you want. There are now three options on line 26. 1 - All files added as a Take (the same as before) 2 - Files added as a take except PSD files. The edited file now replaces the original file on the timeline so that all layers are updated. and 3 - All edited files replace the original file. Give it a try and see if if works for you.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on May 3, 2016 at 11:33:19 am

ok, where is the revised version?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 3, 2016 at 3:48:51 pm

Same place. Just use link in the first post of this thread.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on May 3, 2016 at 6:25:29 pm

What can I say, you,re the man!!!
Yes it is working good. I understand this is the best workaround to the open handles problem. I will be using this now to find out is it good enough for me or maybe my solution works better for me (which is simply closing the handles manually). For now I feel I like your script better. My idea is: i edit what I need to edit and at the end of the project I can do the clean up by deleting unused psd media files from the vegas media explorer to keep my project files in order. As now the script replaces all layers no matter which of them I edit I am sure to have all the time newest file on the timeline. Briefly summerizing... I worship you now!!! Brilliant. Thank you so much.
One last question. I have my own icon for the script to put on my toolbar. How can I have my own icon? By the way I am publishing it, whoever likes it, may use it freely :) It is designed for photoshop users.

10044_openingraphiceditorv1.dll.png.zip

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 3, 2016 at 6:48:59 pm

Paul,

So glad it's working well for you. And again, thanks for your initial feedback on how to improve the original script.

How can I have my own icon?

Very easy. Just delete the icon I provided and rename yours with the script file name. Should be "Open Stills in Graphic Editor.png" (without the quotation marks, however).

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on May 4, 2016 at 7:10:26 am

Bravo. All working fine. I always wanted to learn scripting in vegas, and never found any time. I wish I will one day :) Thanks again Wayne, and may the 4th be with you if you know what i mean :)

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 4, 2016 at 4:38:44 pm

I've just completed an extension version of the script which also includes a settings GUI. It can be downloaded here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4bcekzyn1d2twi/AAARx3uuVwD8JNaknelSIYpga?dl=0

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on May 4, 2016 at 9:37:18 pm

Oh Mighty Wayne, thy name we praise...

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 5, 2016 at 8:35:14 am

I feel like a complete Plank! Not working here. The old OIGE works with JPGs but not my Canon CR2 RAWs.

You're welcome to view my Screen on SKYPE, if that would assist?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 5, 2016 at 3:20:58 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on May 5, 2016 at 3:22:04 pm

Graham,
As I've said in the notes, the only testing I've done is with Photoshop--the only editor I have. So exactly what is the script NOT doing? Does it open Corel X8 at all, for example? Does it work OK with JPGs, PSDs, etc? Or does it not work only with CR2s? I can download a free trial of X8 and do some testing if that is your preferred editor? I can also try it with Irfanview. Just let me know your preferred editor. BTW, I've never used Skype.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 5, 2016 at 4:12:59 pm

Graham,
Just tried raw images with Irfanview and it works fine. Irfanview requires download of a plug-in package to open camera raw images, but after that it works OK. Another thing. Upload one of your CR2 files since all I have is RW2 files from a Panasonic camera. That shouldn't make any difference, but who knows.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 5, 2016 at 4:32:52 pm

[Wayne Waag] " Upload one of your CR2 files since all I have is RW2 files from a Panasonic camera."
My CR2 RAWS are around 12mb, way beyond COW limits.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 5, 2016 at 4:20:43 pm
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on May 5, 2016 at 4:21:07 pm

[Wayne Waag] " So exactly what is the script NOT doing?"

When I select the RAW on the Timeline and click on the Icon I get this:

When I click OK I get Corel PSP X8 starts, with a warning about an update, which is a recent alert, and then PSP X8 fails and I have to close the CX8 program manually.

This is NOT the case with the older, "Rosebud" OIGE, that still works fine with JPGs. PSP X8 starts up nicely and I can do a "Round-Trip" back to VP13 - it works.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 5, 2016 at 4:47:34 pm

Graham,
Just downloaded Corel X8 and I can confirm it doesn't work. I get error messages saying the file isn't there. I'm sure it has something to do with the way the command line parameter identifying the image's file path is defined. Another interesting thing--it reloads the application each time a new file is selected. Does it do the same in OIGE? By the way, the message box shown should only be clicked AFTER the editing is completed and you are back in Vegas. Hopefully, I can get the problem resolved.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 5, 2016 at 5:00:27 pm

[Wayne Waag] "Just downloaded Corel X8 and I can confirm it doesn't work."
But it DOES work with the ROSEBUD script - on both opening UP and finishing back to VP13. Does that help you?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 5, 2016 at 6:08:54 pm

Graham,

Just to answer your question, the Rosebud script does not help at all since I don't have the source code.

However, the script is now working with X8 including the camera raw files. Before I upload the new file to Dropbox, tell me what format you will be using for saving your edited camera raw files just to make sure that it is included in the dropdown list of file types.

One final question. Using Photoshop, if I successively edit multiple images, Photoshop remains open and each new file is opened in the original Photoshop window--works the same way in Irfanview. Using Corel X8, each successive file opens a new window, so that if I edit 4 files I will have 4 windows open. Does the Rosebud script work the same way?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 5, 2016 at 8:46:55 pm

[Wayne Waag] "Just to answer your question, the Rosebud script does not help at all since I don't have the source code.
The only point I was making is that whatever makes THAT script work with my X8 works. That's all.

[Wayne Waag] "However, . . .tell me what format you will be using for saving your edited camera raw files just to make sure that it is included in the dropdown list of file types.

A choice would be nice. But within X8 I can save a copy in whatever I wish. So, PNG, or JPEG.

[Wayne Waag] "One final question. Using Photoshop, if I successively edit multiple images, Photoshop remains open and each new file is opened in the original Photoshop window--works the same way in Irfanview. Using Corel X8, each successive file opens a new window, so that if I edit 4 files I will have 4 windows open. Does the Rosebud script work the same way?"
I don't understand?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 5, 2016 at 9:04:08 pm

Graham,

I have just uploaded the revised scipt extensions. You can use the same link to download them.

But within X8 I can save a copy in whatever I wish. So, PNG, or JPEG.

I know. But you must tell the script which format you are going to use in the settings GUI. There is a dropdown menu and you have to make a choice. Just make sure that you use the same extension in X8 and that you do a "save as" with the same original filename and in the same file location. otherwise, there will be an error.

I don't understand?

Don't worry. I tested the original OIGE and it does the same thing as my script. Every time you edit a file it opens a new instance of X8. The solution is to simply close X8 every time you're finished editing before returning to Vegas. This is a real pain, but I don't know if there is a solution.

Hopefully, it will now work for you.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 5, 2016 at 9:33:36 pm

[Wayne Waag] "Hopefully, it will now work for you."
Well, it's better:

1] It now opens in X8 and in the RAW editor.

2] I save a copy as a PNG

3] Close X8 and I get the usual exit requests which I follow.

4] Back in VP13 I get this:

5] I don't get the changed RAW and it isn't a "Take"

It's 10:30pm in London and I'm truly done for the day. Re-group tomorrow.

Thanks for getting me thus far with the RAWs. Phew . . nearly there, eh?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 6, 2016 at 3:37:52 am

The critical error means that what you saved from the editor is not what Vegas expected. There is a mismatch. First, make sure that you have "png" selected as the file type in the settings GUI. In X8, make sure that the saved file filename is the same as the original and that it is a "png" format and finally, it must be in the same folder as the original file. Unless these conditions are met, that error will occur.

I've made some changes that I will upload tomorrow. Hopefully, we can get this sorted out.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 6, 2016 at 7:42:54 pm

[Wayne Waag] "In X8, make sure that the saved file filename is the same as the original and that it is a "png" format and finally, it must be in the same folder as the original file. Unless these conditions are met, that error will occur."
Yes, I can understand that. Although I need the workflow to be straightforward for my clumsy workings.

I look forward to testing your latest version.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 7, 2016 at 5:05:23 am

I set the settings as per here:

I'm getting the original CR2 being removed, deleted from VP and the replacement PNG is showing back in Vegas as still a CR2 raw file even though in X8 I have been saving as a PNG!:

I really, really have to be doing something incorrectly Wayne. It's gotta be me.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 7, 2016 at 5:33:10 am

Graham,

You're up early. It's late here. Try selecting "replace only PSD" and see what happens. There is also a later edition of both the settings and main program, although it shouldn't make a difference. Will do more testing in the morning with your settings. This is exactly the type of feedback needed to make this thing work well. Thanks.

Wayne

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 7, 2016 at 5:45:48 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on May 7, 2016 at 5:47:03 am

[Wayne Waag] "
You're up early."
Too excited! And I wanted to get you feedback as you've put so, so much time and effort into this for me - why??

[Wayne Waag] " Try selecting "replace only PSD" and see what happens."
Eh... Is this for RAWs or are you asking me to explore the the PSD tool for the purposes of seeing just what is the outcome to clarify the route is correct? - Do you understand me?

You see that I have followed your instructions - yes?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 7, 2016 at 3:11:26 pm

Graham,

Thought about this during the middle of the night. Did you by chance leave the original script, the one with the .cs extension, in the script menu folder? If so, that script, not the dll version, will be executed. During debug, this happened to me and I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. In any case, make sure that you remove the old script. There should only be 5 files with that name, 2 .dll's , 2 .png's and a dll.config file. Also, make sure you have the latest versions downloaded.

I tested again this morning with the exact settings shown in your screen shot and it is working just fine here. For a raw file named Blah.CR2, once you do your round trip, there should be 2 Takes on the timeline for that event. Take 1, the original file will be renamed to Blah-Take01.CR2 and Take 2, the edited file will be Blah-Take 01.PNG. I know it's a bit confusing, but it was the only way I could come up with to enable you to go back to the original file (now renamed Blah-Take01.CR2) and do another round trip. After the second round trip, the original file will now be named Blah-Take02.CR2, Take 2 will be Blah-Take 01.PNG and Take 3 will be Blah-Take02.PNG. In this way you can easily compare your 2 takes with the original. I really don't like renaming the original file and will give some thought to a better logic.

If it's still not working for you, I can do a simple screen recording of the exact steps I take and upload it to YT. Let me know.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 7, 2016 at 4:06:48 pm

[Wayne Waag] "For a raw file named Blah.CR2, once you do your round trip, there should be 2 Takes on the timeline for that event. Take 1, the original file will be renamed to Blah-Take01.CR2 and Take 2, the edited file will be Blah-Take 01.PNG. I know it's a bit confusing, but it was the only way I could come up with to enable you to go back to the original file (now renamed Blah-Take01.CR2) and do another round trip. After the second round trip, the original file will now be named Blah-Take02.CR2, Take 2 will be Blah-Take 01.PNG and Take 3 will be Blah-Take02.PNG. In this way you can easily compare your 2 takes with the original. I really don't like renaming the original file and will give some thought to a better logic."

Wayne, you're unbelievably patient to want to be able to deal with that workflow. I just felt so stupid trying to find my way through the methodology. If you could fast track - no pun intended! - this process then numb-nutz here would have another go. And I agree, renaming original Media as part of a workflow aint good or best practice.

And yes, the original OIGE is still in my Script menu.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 7, 2016 at 5:05:41 pm

And I agree, renaming original Media as part of a workflow aint good or best practice.

I think I've worked out the logic to avoid this. I'll update the script when successfully coded and tested.

And yes, the original OIGE is still in my Script menu.

No. I don't mean that one. That one will have no effect. It's the one named "Open Stills in Graphic Editor.cs" that should be removed if there.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 7, 2016 at 5:15:41 pm

Righto Wayne. Understood.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 7, 2016 at 7:08:02 pm

Finally, it's working properly without the renaming of the original file. Just download the revised script from the original location. So if you want to re-edit from the original raw, just go to Take 1 and run the script again. If you are still having problems, let me know and I'll prepare a short screen recording.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 8, 2016 at 6:49:37 am

[Wayne Waag] " If you are still having problems, let me know and I'll prepare a short screen recording."
7:45 Sunday Morning - The Sun is up and we're potting-out hot red geraniums & trailing white lobelia today - nice! This I can do . . . Erm....Still this issue:

Should I NEED to restart my PC or VP13?

Old your OIGE .CS isn't present. I'll just recheck . . . Nope.

Wayne, thanks for your persistence.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 8, 2016 at 2:43:43 pm

we're potting-out hot red geraniums & trailing white lobelia today

Good choice. One of my favorite combinations for our front window boxes.

Should I NEED to restart my PC or VP13?

At a minimum, restart Vegas and just drag a couple of images onto the timeline for testing. I restart my PC daily and during the debug of the scripts, you must close and restart Vegas. I have noticed that if you get this error message, it can persist, even though you've corrected your error. I have no idea why. Just try it.

Just to make sure, the exact filename for that image is IMG_5169.CR2? Correct? If so, the first take for that image would be IMG_5169-Take 01.PNG. That -1 on the end. Is that something that Corel does with something called auto preserve?

This is truly a mystery.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 8, 2016 at 3:24:31 pm

As promised, here is a short demo using a Canon raw file that I downloaded from the web.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 8, 2016 at 4:09:12 pm

I do do the SAVE AS for PNG, but not the FOR WEB. Could that be making a difference? Apart from the outcome, I'm doing the exact same as you. The named changed file is in the same folder too. The Auto Preserve is X8 making a backup in case I do do something wrong.

OK, so what you are showing me is what I was and am looking to see happen.

Saving for web? I'll try that.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 8, 2016 at 4:50:02 pm

Just rechecked and I have in the same folder:

IMG_5169 - this is the CR2 file

IMG_5169-Take 01 -1 - and this is the PNG file

For some dumb-a reason Vegas is not seeing this as a Media OR a Take. Here's what is residing in my Vegas Project Media, a Ghost PNG!

Correct name and Take Suffix, but Vegas just does not want to recognize that it has been filled with the output from X8.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 8, 2016 at 5:07:30 pm

Ah, I see now, that " -1 " I've not been aware of that before now. I'll dig about. Your script is creating exactly what it should. That -1 is a real.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 8, 2016 at 5:29:07 pm

Graham,
I think you've solved your problem. For some reason, Corel is adding that -1 suffix and since the file names do not match exactly, there is an error. Also make doubly sure that the saved file is in the same folder as the original file. If not, that same error message will occur.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 8, 2016 at 5:34:28 pm

I couldn't have done it without your majestical input.

I have no idea why this happens with X8, and why it is correct in the old OIGE for JPEGs. This HAS to be a clue.

So, you're not getting that extra -1 ?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 8, 2016 at 6:08:44 pm

So, you're not getting that extra -1 ?

No. I've never seen that before. I think you are using Auto Preserve, whatever that is. Try turning it off and see what happens. I've never used X8 before, so I have no idea, and hopefully, after your problem is solved--never again. I still have 13 days left on the trial. I'll dig around a bit to see if I can get it replicate your problem.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 8, 2016 at 6:36:35 pm

I cannot find a reference to Auto Preserve in X8. Are you using X6 by chance? Also, do you have PSP set to edit a "copy" of the original file? I can't find that option either in X8, but some editors permit this which may explain the addition of the -1. Very confusing.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 9, 2016 at 3:15:06 am

[Wayne Waag] "I cannot find a reference to Auto Preserve in X8. Are you using X6 by chance?"
No, I'm using X8.
[Wayne Waag] "Also, do you have PSP set to edit a "copy" of the original file?"
Good question. I have only been aware that I could SAVE AS A COPY. But EDIT a "copy" I haven't been aware of?
[Wayne Waag] "I can't find that option either in X8, but some editors permit this which may explain the addition of the -1. Very confusing."
EVIDENCED BASED RESULTS
I've now pinpointed just at what point within X8 the -1 is being added. And that -1 appears in X8 ONLY for the CR2 work and NOT JPEG work. And more frustratingly, I can't find a way to circumvent this!:

NB: This does NOT happen using your script for JPEG work. I can come back to VP and the adjusted JPEG is added successfully as a Take. For some deeply Graphical Editing purposes RAW CR2s get this -1 added to the file while in edit. Could this be a way to inform the User and X8 that this CR2 is being regarded as a "Layer"? Is it getting some information that is suggesting that CR2s RAWs are to be processed as a Layer? This is me speculating, so it could be a Red Herring!

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 9, 2016 at 3:36:34 am

Graham,

Just got your post. Interesting thing is that your screen shot doesn't resemble mine at all once the raw file is opened. Are you using Corel AfterShot Pro2 by chance? It has a black background like your screenshot and claims to be non-destructive which means you edit off a copy. Maybe! Maybe!

BTW. What are you doing up at 4AM? I know, this stuff is enough to keep one awake at night.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jeffrey
on May 10, 2016 at 5:52:17 am

I try to edit my raw pictures (cr2 file) using your script but I can't get the edited file back on the timeline.
I'm using PS CC 2015 an VP13
1- I firts use the set up script, use jpg for raw file saving (tried with png but same result).
2- then I use the 2nd script to open the file. PS open in the raw editor
3- I edit the file in the raw editor then click on open image.
4- I save my file as jpg
5- I click OK on the dialogue box "add take to timeline" (in VP)

It adds a take but this take is identical to the original raw file. It's actually "file name - Take01.cr2", not the jpg file.

How to do?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 10, 2016 at 2:36:57 pm

Guillaume Jeffrey

Just tested in CC2015 with CR2 files and it is working fine here.

Are you using the latest version? To make sure, just download the "Open Stills in Graphic Editor.dll" once again. The date modified should be May 09, 2016, 11:45:36 AM. I've made quite a few changes and you may not be using the latest version.

Once the take is added to the timeline, you say the extension is still .cr2. Select that take file in the Project media list. On the bottom of the project media, does it say Microsoft or JPG?

And finally, could you give me an example of an actual filename you are using?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jeffrey
on May 10, 2016 at 3:05:33 pm

Hi Wayne,

I download again your script but the modified date is May 7th, not may 9th. i can't find any other link.
I'm using this link: "https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4bcekzyn1d2twi/AAARx3uuVwD8JNaknelSIYpga?dl=0"
Is it the right one?

Below screen shot after the round trip to CC2015 (latest version as per the creative cloud app)

Project media: no png file listed, only 2 raw files

But the png file is really created

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 10, 2016 at 3:24:02 pm

Is it the right one?

Yes, that is the most recent. You will see that the latest dll was added yesterday.

Have you installed the Microsoft camera codec package?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

All raw files should be shown as "Microsoft". I've never seen the camera type being identified.

Perhaps you could upload a sample image.

Another mystery!

wwaag

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jeffrey
on May 10, 2016 at 3:35:23 pm

Actually, I don't use Microsoft camera codec but Fastpictureviewer, that's why it's written the camera brand.
Do you think, it might be a reason?

My picture is from a Canon 60D.

However, when I use your script with jgp image, it works as expected.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 10, 2016 at 3:40:45 pm

That's the problem. You must use the Microsoft camera codec pack. The script extracts the images format. To be identified as a camera RAW file, the format must show "Microsoft". Otherwise, it will treat the image as a regular format such as psd, jpg, etc. and simply add a take using the same file extension, which seems to be your problem. Download and install that codec and it should work. Having said that, I have no idea how it will interact with you FastPictureViewer. You may have to uninstall it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jeffrey
on May 10, 2016 at 11:35:39 pm

Unfortunately, I can't install Microsoft codec package on Windows 10.
It's not compatible.
Do you think that's it's possible to set up your script to recognize main raw file extensions (cr2, nef, etc...)

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 11, 2016 at 1:19:14 am

Too bad that it doesn't work for Windows 10. Seems that you are not the only one with this problem. I'm still on Win7, so I didn't know it was an issue.

Do you think that's it's possible to set up your script to recognize main raw file extensions (cr2, nef, etc...)

Of course it's possible, but I'd have to give some thought as to how it should best be implemented. In the interim, it would be very easy to do a "one-off" for just a single format or two that you are currently using. Just let me know which ones and I can upload the files to a new Dropbox folder.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jeffrey
on May 11, 2016 at 1:32:40 am

Thanks for your patience Wayne.
I'm mainly using cr2 and dng raw files.
If you can implement that, it would be great!

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 11, 2016 at 1:48:54 am

Done. Just download the "open stills in graphic editor.dll" file in the original location. It should work for CR2 and DNG files. Let me know.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jeffrey
on May 11, 2016 at 2:32:05 am

Great!
I don't have access to my computer till Friday.
As soon as I can, I feed you back.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 12, 2016 at 2:59:28 am

Uploaded a revised script today that should work with all RAW formats.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jeffrey
on May 13, 2016 at 6:58:32 am

Thanks a lot Wayne.
It works perfectly with your last script.
Tested with cr2 and dng file.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 7, 2016 at 12:50:38 am

Great Job Wayne.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 7, 2016 at 2:00:05 am

Thanks Steve, although I still think I like Paul Belter's response a wee bit better

Oh Mighty Wayne, thy name we praise...

LOL.

For anyone interested, I uploaded a new version today (extension dll only) with changes to camera RAW editing so that you can now do multiple edits, each one added as a Take for easy comparison with the original. To use this feature, you must read the accompanying text file--carefully.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 7, 2016 at 9:52:51 pm

LOL, If you can make a script where we can Zoom in and out
of the Preview Window with the ability to pan left to right
and up and down..... Then, i will praise thy name lol

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here: