FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird video issue with 16:10 clips

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Fuller
Weird video issue with 16:10 clips
on Apr 29, 2016 at 2:00:26 am

I'm creating a timeline with alternating 16:9 (1980x1080) and 16:10 (1729x1080) gameplay footage. The 16:10 clips obviously have black bars on each side, which is fine. My problem is that instead of solid black bars, I can see video of seemingly random video clips "underneath."

Here's a screenshot example:

It seems to affect about 75% of the 16:10 clips on the timeline.

There is only one video track, nothing above or below. I've edited hours of this kind of footage without ever having seen this problem.

Did I accidentally change a setting somewhere?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Weird video issue with 16:10 clips
on Apr 29, 2016 at 5:39:16 am

I've seen this very odd behavior before as well, although it's never affected the final render so I pretty much ignore it. E.g., if I put a still 4:3 still image on the timeline in a 16 x 9 project, there will be really weird stuff in the region of the black bars--usually a carryover from the previous event. Since I always fill the frame, there's never been a problem. Try this. Once this occurs, do a project save, and then re-open the project to see if the problem still exists. Another thing you might try is to turn of GPU for effects processing. In any case, please report back on what you find.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Sam Fuller
on Apr 29, 2016 at 6:10:55 am

I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't affect the final render, but it does in this case. I've tried filling the frame then reverting, and I've saved and reopened more than a dozen times. I've only ever had my render settings set to CPU only, so I don't think the GPU is the problem this time.

Man, this one is frustrating.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 29, 2016 at 9:14:59 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Apr 29, 2016 at 9:16:04 am

Sam? Do you see this in Preview? Or, if you are, what are you rendering to?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 29, 2016 at 5:43:20 pm

Sam,

I've just imported a few 16:10 clips (1920 x 1200) and could not reproduce your problem. Your frame size (1729 x 1080) seems a bit strange in that the width is an odd number whereas most codecs require an even number, usually divisible by 2, 4, or sometimes 16. A screen shot from MediaInfo of one of your media files may yield some useful information. An upload of one of your short offending clips to something like Dropbox would be even better.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Sam Fuller
on Apr 29, 2016 at 8:26:37 pm

@Graham: Yes, I see it in preview. And in rendering, no matter the output codec.

@Wayne: You're absolutely correct, that was a typo on my end. I meant 1728x1080. Sorry about that.

I've been editing files of this exact size and type for years now. The source hasn't changed. I've never seen this glitch in Sony before. I'm assuming I must have changed a setting by accident since everything else is the same as it's always been.

Here's a MediaInfo screenshot:

And here's a link to a 10 second clip with a few examples of the glitch:
http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/BKqUq4lR/file.html

Thanks for your help, guys.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 29, 2016 at 8:31:37 pm

That really is a mess. How about a 10 sec clip of the original 1728 x 1080 file?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Sam Fuller
on Apr 29, 2016 at 9:32:34 pm

Sure, here's a small clip of one of the original files (35MB):

http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/Ztj4pP4u/file.html

-

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 29, 2016 at 10:06:15 pm

Sam,

The problem is the codec that you are using. Vegas, as well as all other high end editors, expects a constant frame rate. If you look at MediaInfo for the file you uploaded, you will see original frame rate varies from 58 to 61 fps. While it does load OK onto the timeline, the preview is very erratic. Moreover, Vegas does not recognize the audio channel at all. Obviously, it's there since you can "play" it in Windows Media Player and it also shows up on MediaInfo.

Regarding the weird video in the black bars, I observed something interesting. When I downloaded your file, I was working on another project, so I closed that one, and imported your footage onto the timeline. The image from the file I closed showed up in the black bars, just like the first example you uploaded. I then closed Vegas completely and started over and imported your example 2 file once again. This time, the black bars were correct. Something you might try, if you haven't already, is to simply close Vegas and start over.

Long term, you need to find a better codec if you want to record game footage and then work with that in Vegas. This seems to be a common problem and one that is raised on this forum quite frequently. At a minimum, it needs to record at a constant frame rate. For the footage you've already recorded, you might try re-rendering in Handbrake. It does accept variable rate footage, and you can then render at a constant frame rate. There might be some loss in quality, but at least you could salvage what you've already recorded.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Sam Fuller
on Apr 29, 2016 at 10:40:49 pm

I'm just wondering why it's starting *now.* Like I said, I have edited dozens of hours (hundreds of clips) from this exact source without any issues in the past couple of years. It's always looked and sounded great (I muted my example clip -- the audio actually works fine).

But it's very interesting that you were able to duplicate the glitch. That would seem to indicate that the problem is indeed in the source files themselves.

Closing and reopening Vegas hasn't helped. I've done it at least twenty times in the past few days.

What does seem to help, however, is moving the offending clips to a separate video track and changing the compositing mode to "screen." I'll have to do some more experimentation.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]