FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renaming clips before starting projects

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
Renaming clips before starting projects
on Apr 27, 2016 at 1:13:19 am

I take mainly videos of our holidays & as a starting point before editing them I like to get the clips all named with the location & sorted by the 'Date Taken'. These clips have already been put into separate folders that have the locations name like 'Santorini' It seems that Windows for some strange unknown reason that doesn't seem to make any sense thinks that the date you imported them into windows is better.

I know that I won't be keeping all of the shots and start by I whittling away starting with the ones that I know would never be used. Those that are to long or have something happen when the camera was rolling like someone walking in front of the camera may be trimmed & saved.

Where is the best place to do this renaming & deleting? I can see this being done either from Windows Explorer itself or perhaps it' better from within Vegas? You might start with naming them say Santorini 1,2,3 etc & then once you have deleted a few renaming/renumbering them again when there are fewer left to deal with.

Is their any other even better way to prepare before you start your project?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Renaming clips before starting projects
on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:28:41 am

Paul,

I can only tell you what works for me. I'm sure there are as many ways as people so you have to find something that works for you. Like you suggest, the basic organization is by folders, e.g. Trip to Yellowstone, with sub-folders for Day 1, Day 2, etc., usually keeping video assets and stills separate. Since I usually have video from different cameras, I have found that renaming them according to date and time stamp is a very useful way of organizing for editing. For consumer cameras, software such as Play Memories for Sony Handycams, automatically rename according to date and time--e.g. 20160320182900. For others you may have to rename them using a renaming utility, being careful that the time you select is the actual date and start time. E.g. the file modified date for GoPro footage is the time recording ended, rather than when it started. Use of MediaInfo can be of use. At this point, you can lump all the footage from different cameras into a single folder and at least, you know that they are in chronological order.

The second part, getting rid of excess footage, bad clips, etc. can most easily be done inside of Vegas. Just drag a folder representing Day 1, for example, onto the timeline, set AutoRipple "on" and begin your basic cuts editing. Use of the keyboard shortcuts S(split), Alt-[ and Alt-] are very useful for quickly splitting and trimming off parts at the beginning and end of each clip. In this way, I usually eliminate 75% of my original footage. To keep just that footage, I use the Smart Trim function in Vegasaur so that only those parts of the original footage are saved. This can be extremely useful if you have fairly long clips and only want to save just a few parts. Once the basic cuts editing and trimming is completed, you can save the resulting files for archiving and use in your final project.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Apr 27, 2016 at 11:55:18 am

I can only add that you can also use Sort Events Chronologically 1-click command in Vegasaur. The sorting is based on the recorded date/time of clips or photos. If recorded date/time is not available, the file creation date is used.

Maybe the ability to batch rename files directly in Vegas would be useful, what do you guys think?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:05:35 pm

Aleksey,

Absolutely. The ability to change different date/time formats into a common one of your choice would be a very useful addition. I find myself usually renaming the 20 digit file names that the Sony software produces just to make them more readable by separating time from date with parentheses. Others may prefer different formats so having flexibility with ability to create favorites would be a must.

Off-topic from this thread, but another very useful addition would be to create watch folders, where files, when dropped into the folder, would be batch rendered according to render templates selected in your Transcoder. For MPEG-2 renders (few, these days), I still use Procoder which permits such watch folders. That would be very useful for those wanting to automatically create proxies or digital intermediates from their camera footage. Simply drag the files into the folder and the batch rendering begins.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Apr 28, 2016 at 10:56:38 am

I've been hoping Vegas would allow for a batch rename of files for years. My procedure is to rename all my files before I put them on the timeline but with the MP4 files I have now, windows doesn't have the ability to view them by double clicking so I rename best I can.
Then if I want to save a project that has a lot of unwanted files in it, I remove those files from the timeline, and do a "save as" with only the files I have on the timeline to another directory with the "save media" option so only those events on the timeline will be moved to another directory.

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]