FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing Sony Vegas 12 AVI Windows codec/DV25

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arnt Richard Rørvik
Missing Sony Vegas 12 AVI Windows codec/DV25
on Apr 25, 2016 at 9:14:08 pm

Hi, everybody in Sony Vegas land! :-)

I'm getting the infamous "File NNN.avi could not be opened" error message in Vegas Pro 12. Windows Media player will only play the sound of the file. This means, as far as I understand, that the correct video codec is missing in Windows 10. This leads me to the vital question: Where can I get a Windows codec (preferrably compatible with Windows 10, 64 bit or 32 bit) that will do the trick?

MediaInfo reports as follows:

General
Complete name : NNNN.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Commercial name : DVCPRO
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 12.3 GiB
Duration : 57mn 1s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 30.8 Mbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : DV
Commercial name : DVCPRO
Codec ID : dv25
Codec ID/Hint : DVCPro
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 24.4 Mbps
Encoded bit rate : 28.8 Mbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:1:1
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Bottom Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357
Stream size : 11.5 GiB (93%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 626 MiB (5%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 11 ms (0.27 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 288 ms

I've installed the FFMPEG codecs, as well as FFDSHOW and K-Lite Basic, unfortunately to no avail. The tuning and tweaking options are plentyful, but I've refrained from doing too much out of it as of yet.

The source of the .avi file is Pinnacle VideoStudio 19, used for capture of some old Betamax footage. (30+ years old, still playing with the same great quality as ever :-) ) And yes, I've installed that software as well on the Vegas computer, but apparently no DV25 codecs from Pinnacle either.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Arnt Richard.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Missing Sony Vegas 12 AVI Windows codec/DV25
on Apr 25, 2016 at 9:36:44 pm

DV25 comes with Vegas, do you have a legit copy of Vegas? Have you tried Vegas 13 with the latest build?

If you have installed certain codec packs, you may need to do a clean install of windows, and reload Vegas. Codec Packs are generally crapware designed to own your system.

If FFPLAY will not run your capture, then there might be something wrong with your captured file.

Vegas was known for how good the DV25 codec support was back in the day. DVCPRO is more of a tape format than a codec.

Return to posts index

Arnt Richard Rørvik
on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:04:34 am

Hi again, Aaron!

Thank you for your kind reply. I will certainly try a clean Windows. I've got a couple of Acronis images of my computer that always come in handy, or I'll install a clean Windows in a virtual machine. What Windows version would you recommend for such a test? This machine is running Windows 10, incidentally a upgraded one from a cleanly installed Windows 8. I suppose not only settings are copied to Windows 10, since even my old Adobe Photoshop 7 from Windows 8 runs smoothly in Windows 10, although the PS7 installer fails to run in W10.

And yes, the licenses are legitimate. I started out in Vegas Pro 8, and kept the pace more or less through all versions since then.

I've just now upgraded to Vegas Pro 13, since rumors has it that this will be the very last version for us to purchase, and I suppose that this means that this product will soon be discontinued.

However, Vegas Pro 13 gives no success in terms of opening the AVI file, same error message. VLC will open and play, but Windows Media Player will not. Seems to me to be a codec not included with Vegas Pro 13 (?), since a install of Vegas Pro 13 does not touch this potentially faulty codec or its settings.

A clue is the fact that it is a AVI file created by Pinnacle Studio 19, so they're probably using a built-in codec (?) that is not of the Sony trade. I certainly installed the Pinnacle VS19 on the same computer, to no avail, som probably no Windows codecs included.

I'll first try to transcode the file using Pinnacle Studio 19 to something the Vegas will eat, even if that will reduce quality somewhat. Please cf. MediaInfo exports (see original post), hopefully that would eventually shed some light onto this case. Unless it is, as you say it might be, a rotten codec setup in Windows. I'll give it a go on a fresh Windows eventually. My Apple PowerBook is running Windows 8 in dual boot fashion, with just one installation, and that is the Pinnacle Studio 19 used for capture of the file in question (sic...). In retrospect, I'd rather buy any other good HW to do the PAL capture with, so please feel free to suggest what to use to preferrably get a MXF file or something else of hight quality from a analog capture capture :-)

Once again, thank you. I will certainly try to find out what the root cause may be.

Best regards,

Arnt Richard.

Return to posts index

Arnt Richard Rørvik
on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:40:21 am

Hi again, everyone!

Finally, a sort of a fix to the problem: I transcoded the file to MPEG2 in Pinnacle Studio 19. Once it had seized to crash (Pinnacle Software...) and started to export in MPEG 2, Sony Vegas accepted the file, and now I'm up and running again. Not editing the original AVI file unfortunately, but a MPG file that's reasonably clean and sharp as it seems, with Pinnacle Studio 19 exporting it as follows:

Type: MPEG-2
Preset: Custom
Preprocessing: Automatic
Video:
Encoding: MPEG-2
Size: 720-576
Interlacing: Top Field First (this was a Pal capture from Betamax)
Peak Bitrate: 8 MBit/s
Bitrade Control: CBR
Audio:
Smaple Rate: 48 kHz (same as original capture which was PCM)
Channels: Stereo
Encoding: MP2
Bitrate: 384
Streams:
Video and Audio.

As I said, quality seems to be fairly good, I will polish it with Neat and sharpen a bit with Sony Convolution Engine, which is a hidden gem, albeit a bit tricky to adjust to the desired effect.

Best regards,

Arnt Richard.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 25, 2016 at 9:43:19 pm

DVCPRO means Panasonic and unfortunately it refuses to play nice with Sony :(
There's a third party company whose name escapes me at the moment who make a codec that lets Vegas read those files.
If you know someone with Premiere that software will read it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]