FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 13 - .MOV files are all of the sudden going black in the preview window and I can't find a fix!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Gray
Sony Vegas Pro 13 - .MOV files are all of the sudden going black in the preview window and I can't find a fix!
on Apr 25, 2016 at 7:13:20 pm

Hi there and thanks for coming to read my post and hopefully offer some help!

I am mixing a ton of video clips together for a project. Some are MP4 and some are .MOV. All of the sudden my .MOV files are all going black in the preview. I've tried several things like reinstalling the program. Reinstalling Quicktime, as well as unchecking the option in prefs to not close files while other apps are open.

Please let me know if you think you know what the issue is.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 - .MOV files are all of the sudden going black in the preview window and I can't find a fix!
on Apr 25, 2016 at 9:40:59 pm

How many .MOVs are on the timeline? There is a limit to the amount of .MOV QuickTime will support in Vegas.

I would recommend not working with MOV in Vegas, and convert mov footage to an intermediate like xdcam.mxf, cineform.avi, XAVC-I.mxf, or hdcam.mxf. You can do this proxy style in another project, then re-open your main project, and point to the new media.

Just some thoughts.

Return to posts index

Mike Gray
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 - .MOV files are all of the sudden going black in the preview window and I can't find a fix!
on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:35:34 pm

Aaron Star you were right! Vegas Pro 13 indeed does have a limit on number of .MOV files allowed to be imported. All I had to do was right click on several of the .MOV files within my media bin window and click "delete from project". From here on out in this project I will be using Handbrake to convert my .MOV files to MP4, unless you think the formats you mentioned would be more suitable. I'm still such a novice.

Everything is back to normal working order. Thanks for your time!!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 26, 2016 at 8:03:03 pm

If you post "mediainfo" (its an app) on your source MOVs, there might be a way to convert them to a format with out re-rendering them.

Vegas can be a horizontal batch render tool, by using a script that comes with Vegas, and renders regions to individual files. That way you just place a region around each clip, give the region a name, and render to any codec that Vegas supports.

You best codecs to work with in Vegas, for the smoothest timeline scrubbing and real-time playback:

HD Project Size - Largest bitrate to lowest.
Cineform-High.AVI
HDCAM-SR-LITE.MXF
XDCAM-422.MXF
Cineform-Low.AVI
XDCAM-EX - Good for 90% of general YouTube and client work.

4K projects - Best to worst
.EXR
REDCODE.r3d
XAVC-I.mxf
XAVC-S.mxf

These suggestions assume you have good recommended system specs to be running Vegas with GPU enabled.

Return to posts index

Mike Gray
on Apr 26, 2016 at 8:09:33 pm

Thanks so much! This info is incredibly helpful!

My system is rather old actually. I'm running an Asus Laptop from 2009. Some specs: i7, 4GB DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT240m, Seagate 256GB SSD. The preview is very laggy and I tend to have to use Shift+B and sections just to be able to see the playback smoothly in the preview window.

How much more smoothly do you imagine the preview playback will be using the other codecs you mentioned rather than MP4?

Thanks for your help Aaron!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 26, 2016 at 8:38:15 pm

The specs on the laptop are not that bad. I would add the following:

Up the RAM to 16GB if possible, 8GB if that's all you can manage. Rule of thumb is 4GB per internal CPU core. If you upgrade, research the best ram for your motherboard chipset, as you want to max the bandwidth between the CPU and RAM.

In Vegas 11 - 13 under preferences make sure to disable GPU acceleration, if the GPU is even recognized in the 1st place. The 240 is only 174 GFLOP capable, and Vegas recommends a GPU that is 1300 GFLOPs minimum with 1GB VRAM. Keeping Vegas CPU only will keep the GPU calculations from holding you back. But my guess is you will not even see if in the preferences to use.

Return to posts index

Mike Gray
on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:51:23 pm

I'll make sure the GPU acceleration is turned off from now on, thank you!

Looks like my system only supports 4GBs of RAM. I wish there was a way to add more somehow. It's an Asus M60J (A1). Thanks for all of your help Aaron!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 26, 2016 at 10:14:33 pm

After looking up your system specs, your laptop supports DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600.) At the time the manufacturer created the specs, 8GB so-dim were not likely available. 8GB dims will likely work, however, if you want to play it safe 4GB per dim will work per the manufacturers specs.

Something like this on amazon:
G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory F3-10600CL9D-16GBSQ

Search YouTube for a how to video on upgrading your specific laptop model memory. Some laptops have a memory slot under the keyboard, and only one slot on the bottom.

Once you upgrade, make sure to run memtest86+ from a boot disk and verify the chips and controller have 0 errors.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 26, 2016 at 10:16:30 pm

There is an app called Speccy that will show you details of what's under the hood, from there it is easy to research upgrade parts.

Return to posts index

Mike Gray
on Apr 26, 2016 at 11:19:14 pm

I really really hope my system will support 16 or even 8 more GB of RAM. That is pretty dang exciting news. Thanks so much for all of your help. You're a saint!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]