FORUMS: list search recent posts

mp4 files lagging worth upgrade to vegas 13?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'Connell
mp4 files lagging worth upgrade to vegas 13?
on Apr 22, 2016 at 7:35:48 pm

I have been using Vegas 11 for years. The last two projects I have had it seems like my preview is lagging..very jumpy. Even when I put it on low quality preview.
(One time it was avi files..kept crashing..it was a fairly large project (2 hours or so)...this time it was .mov files off of an ipad...then converted those to mp4 files..same problem but a little bit better)
I am wondering if it's worth upgrading to Vegas 13 would that solve anything or is it my computer.
After my last project, I dumped a ton of files off my computer, ran a clean up etc.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: mp4 files lagging worth upgrade to vegas 13?
on Apr 22, 2016 at 8:16:25 pm

Can you list more info on your system specs, and possibly the "mediainfo"(its an app) on your timeline files?

From my recollection of Vegas 11, it was not that stable with h264(mp4) media, GPU acceleration was new and not that stable. Have you verified that you are running the last update or build of Vegas 11?

Some other things to check:

• Preview RAM should be default and not set to anything else.
  • Try disabling GPU if your system has a supported card. This requires a restart of Vegas.
  • Verify your System RAM with memtest86+ V4 or better, outside of windows. Windows does a great job of covering up hardware errors and still attempt to keep running. When you project size grows, Vegas will start consuming large amounts of memory. One bad block in a stick could cause Vegas to fail, but not windows.
  • As a test, I would try converting your camera media to XDCAM.MFX, HDCAM.MXF, or Cineform.avi to a new folder. Then try your long format project by pointing to the new media, and see if that fails in the same way.

Return to posts index

Steve King
on Apr 23, 2016 at 2:23:31 pm

What is your preferred file conversion software to produce your intra files? I am working on a short corporate project shot with a GH4, which produces .MOV files.

Steve K
Full time writer/director
Pt. Time Video Editor

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Apr 23, 2016 at 8:34:20 pm

I use Vegas plus the batch render region script. That combo turns the Vegas timeline into a large horizontal batch tool.

or

Batch scripting FFMPEG

Return to posts index

Linda O'Connell
on Apr 23, 2016 at 11:24:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I tried the trial version of 13 and it didn't make a difference.
I tried to uncheck the GPU acceleration and that didn't make a difference.
Finally I converted all the files to avi and works great! No lagging. So both the IPad mov and the converted mp4 files were the cause.
Thank goodness. Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 24, 2016 at 2:49:29 pm

[Linda O'Connell] "Finally I converted all the files to avi and works great! No lagging. So both the IPad mov and the converted mp4 files were the cause. "
Converting to Sony MXF is also a good solution as long as you are converting them. Sony MXF will results in smaller files and they should playback smoothly. Try a few and see.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 22, 2016 at 8:17:23 pm

Hi Linda,

There are several things you could look at to help inporve your preview. Your system specs, a better intermediate file conversion, perhaps a GPU, etc.

However, as far as, Vegas Pro 13, I think the best way to answer your question is to download the trial version. The trial will most likely put a watermark on your render, but for testing it would answer your question using your specific source files on your system.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 23, 2016 at 6:01:53 am

[George Dean] "However, as far as, Vegas Pro 13, I think the best way to answer your question is to download the trial version."
+1

This will answer your question definitively. Try it and see how it handles on your computer. You get 30 days to decide.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]