FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio track from Panasonic HC-V770 very low

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Potter
Audio track from Panasonic HC-V770 very low
on Apr 17, 2016 at 8:21:03 pm

New member and first post. Been using Vegas Platinum for several years. Recently bought a Panasonic 770 and when I import the files into Vegas the audio track is almost flat. I have to raise the volume and add a FX volume filter to make is acceptable.

Whats up with the Audo? Files from my older Panasonic TM90 are just fine, but this 770 camera has issues. I've tried converting to mp4 with Freemake and Handbrake. No luck.

Other than sending the camera back to B&H and getting a Canon is there something I'm missing?

Comments appreciated.

Rick

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Audio track from Panasonic HC-V770 very low
on Apr 18, 2016 at 5:44:24 am

Knowing nothing about your specific camera, are you sure you haven't set the audio record level to manual with a very low gain. If it's set to auto-gain, have you tried simply "playing" the recorded files in your PC's media player such as Windows Media Player or VLC? If they are all "low", then you may have a problem with the camera itself.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Apr 18, 2016 at 8:35:03 pm

My Panasonic HC-V770 encodes video using the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec, and was told, this codec is not suitable for editing in most non linear editors including Vegas, Adobe Premiere and Apple. This problem seems to be found throughout the Panasonic camcorder product line.

While the Panasonic video format can be opened in Sony Vegas, the audio level is almost nonexistent and requires an audio FX to raise the volume, thus introducing white noise.

I'm a little frustrated with Panasonic. Every function is set to auto, with no modification to the Audio in the camera. A friend said to get out of the Panasonic line and into Canon.

I just can't believe Panasonic would allow such an issue.

Comments appreciated.

Rick

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 18, 2016 at 9:03:30 pm

My Panasonic HC-V770 encodes video using the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec, and was told, this codec is not suitable for editing in most non linear editors including Vegas, Adobe Premiere and Apple. This problem seems to be found throughout the Panasonic camcorder product line.

Whoever told you this does not know what they're talking about. The vast majority of consumer cameras use the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec as well as many prosumer products. I have a couple of Sony Handycams that use this format and there is no problem editing in Vegas. I also have a number of Panasonic products including a ZS3, ZS20, and FZ200 that record with that codec and they all work just fine in Vegas. Both the ZS20 and FZ200 record at 1080 60P and there has never been a problem with low audio. Something is either wrong with your particular camera or the way you have it set up.

There is also the odd chance that something is amiss with your PC. Suggest you upload a short 5 sec clip to something like Dropbox so someone have a look just to confirm that there is a low volume problem with your clip and not your PC.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Apr 18, 2016 at 8:53:16 pm

While the Panasonic video format can be opened in Sony Vegas, the audio level is almost nonexistent and requires an audio FX to raise the volume, thus introducing white noise.

I'm a little frustrated with Panasonic. Every function is set to auto, with no modification to the Audio in the camera. A friend said to get out of the Panasonic line and into Canon.

I just can't believe Panasonic would allow such an issue.

Comments appreciated.

Rick

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Apr 18, 2016 at 9:53:38 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm pulling my hair out on this. I'm running Win7 on my Home computer and Work computer with both having. Attached is a screen shot of a short file in Vegas P11. The audio blips on the audio line are me speaking rather loudly, talking to my wife's cat.

I know very little about file formats, but I don't believe I should have to artificially raise the audio thru a converter. I'll upload a Vegas file with my old TM90 and the new 770 pasted in. Both cameras in Auto.

Attached is a screen shot of a short test I just made. You can see how flat the audio is. From my 770 in full auto.
9985_fullscreencapture418201642655pm001.jpg.zip

Comments appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Apr 18, 2016 at 10:38:47 pm

Here is a Dropbox link. Files from the Panasonic HC-770 and the Panasonic TM-90. Past them into Vegas and see the flat audio on the 770.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ogbo69st21m10ge/AAB8XGhssHYXFc3hWebj6GXFa?dl=0

Comments appreciated.

Rick

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 18, 2016 at 11:51:24 pm

Downloaded your files and I can confirm that there is indeed an 8db difference between the two audio files. There was no problem loading these 2 files into Vegas. At least you know it's not your system. When I normalized each to the same volume, the noise from the 770 seemed to be much greater. Since you set it to Auto, either the camera is defective or it's a design problem. I did see on B&H that someone else had complained of low audio volume. I guess my inclination would be to ask for a replacement and if it's the same, then try something else. BTW I liked your black cat--reminded me of one we had many years ago.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Apr 21, 2016 at 2:40:06 pm

I want to update my findings. Specifically its Panasonic's interpretation of their AVCHD and MP4 file formats that reduce the audio when pasted into a video editor such as Vegas, Adobe Premiere or Camtasia. The audio line/level is almost flat and requires artificial amplification. Bummer. My older TM90 does not exhibit this problem and neither does the Canon G20 which I borrowed yesterday.

I love Panasonic products and this is rather frustrating. Video from the 770 plays nicely from the camcorder itself when plugged into a TV. However the background white noise is very noticeable when played on computer with Windows Movie player or the TV. The 770's predecessor the 750 (which I sold) also had even poorer audio in all respects and most likely Panasonic somehow pumped up the 770's amplification. Bad Panasonic!!! Just fix the problem and stop trying to put a band-aid on it. I sent my 750 to Panasonic for repair, they said it was fine so I traded it in to B&H (lost $200) and got the 770. Feel ripped off. Comments appreciated.

750 poor low audio, X920 and 770 both have the same audio issues. With all 3 having the same low audio line when pasted into a editor.

Move on to Sony? Cannon? Hard choice.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 21, 2016 at 3:12:38 pm

Rick,

The bottom line, regardless of which you choose (I like Sony) is that the audio is NOT going to be terribly good. This is a common problem, even for those using DSLRs or prosumer camcorders. Just make sure that your camcorder has a microphone input and also a headphone output so you can "hear" what the camera is recording and learn to use manual gain. A better mic can help, but an even better solution is to simply use an external recorder such as a Zoom H1 or better attached to your camera. You'll have to sync audio during editing, but the quality of your recordings will be significantly better. My preference is to run the headphone out from the recorder directly into the mic input to make syncing even easier.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Apr 28, 2016 at 2:32:02 pm

Thanks for the response. B&H said I could exchange the Panasonic 770 for something else. I'm considering the Canon G40, it has a 26mm lens which I'd use inside the home at holidays and birthdays. Wish there was a way to convert Panasonics codec into something that doesn't flatten out the audio.

Comments appreciated. Rick

Return to posts index

Dave B Real
on Aug 11, 2016 at 11:44:12 am

I have no such problems on my V770, didn't want this thread to dissuade future owners. I honestly believe the problem here to be user error. The V770 has a headphone monitoring jack, a mic input jack, as well as customizable audio settings (zoom, auto gain control etc). I do not believe OP read the manual or explored the best settings.

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Aug 11, 2016 at 2:03:13 pm

I was past my 30 day return at B&H but they were kind enough to swap my 770 with a new one. Same audio issues. The V770 has great optics, controls and records audio beautifully when played on a TV or monitor. Actually it's fantastic!

However when editing in Vegas or Premiere utilizing the in camera audio, the audio line is almost flat. Yes I have experimented with all the audio controls and found increasing the in camera recording levels do work, however the white noise is ridiculous. My work around is modifying the audio in Audacity and properly adjusting the levels. I did purchase a Canon G40 and find the 770 to have better video, however I just love the G40's 26mm lens and pristine in camera audio!

Currently I use a Rode Pro mic on my 770 with success in editing software. In this thread you can see others have verified my findings and Panasonic tech support said to me..... "This camera was not meant for production work"...."I said to the tech, "You mean because the camera has inherently weak audio codec's when interpreted by editing software I should just ignore the white noise?" He said "That's your choice". Panasonic did acknowledge an issue with the audio codec, actually he called it a driver. I have tried converting the raw 770 file in Hijak and find increasing the audio to also work.

Oh well, I still enjoy the camera with its issues.
----Sound quality poor when imported into editing software. Vegas 11, Pro, Camtasia and Premeire
----Battery life is poor.

Rick

Return to posts index

Dave B Real
on Aug 11, 2016 at 2:09:26 pm

Rick - Did you adjust the auto gain control at all?

How was the audio inputted on the V770 - built-in mic or auxiliary mic?

Return to posts index

Dave B Real
on Aug 11, 2016 at 2:12:38 pm

Did you try to monitor the audio using headphones during recording with the V770? If so, what did it sound like? Quiet? Good?

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Aug 11, 2016 at 3:15:26 pm

Let me first say I am a huge Panasonic fan! I have 2 of their Plasma TV's from 6 years ago, both rock solid. Also have the Camcorders TM90, TM900k and the 770. (had the 550 but traded it in to B&H for the 770 as it had the same audio issues)

The 770 is a rock solid camera and still the best bang for your money for normal family use and the feature set is great, (really love the timelapse) It's my opinion whomever Panasonic hired to write their audio codec is the culprit. My older TM90 and TM900k (japanese verion) both have great audio with no issues in Vegas or Camtasia. The audio issue started on the 550 and possibly continues thru their consumer line.

""""Rick - Did you adjust the auto gain control at all?
How was the audio inputted on the V770 - built-in mic or auxiliary mic?""""
""""Did you try to monitor the audio using headphones during recording with the V770? If so, what did it sound like? Quiet? Good?""""

--Mic Level - Auto, AGC on, AGC off, adustments in Manual mode also.
-- 5.1, 2 channel both tried.
--Rode Pro input (better sound and audio line in Vegas) mic self powered
--Tried ATR3350 clip on mic (better sound and audio line in Vegas) mic self powered
--Monitor with headphones audio was very quiet.
--MP4 and Avchd, same

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out, now I just accept it an hope Panasonic makes some changes.

Thanks for responding,
Rick

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Oct 5, 2016 at 11:51:55 am

I have this exact problem on my Panasonic Mini-DV Camera. NV-GS280. The audio is practically a flatline in Premiere with just a few little bums on it. However, the sound level is fine when you play back in the camera. This is annoying. It was bought in 2006, cost me £700, but I only used it for the first time in April 2016. I'm absolutely gutted because I bought it to make a low budget film, spent 10 years writing the script and now I've found it's pretty much useless!

It's especially annoying as a bought a Panasonic on purpose because we used Panasonic Mini-DV video cameras on my degree course (BA Graphic Design: Salford University 2002-5) and the sound was fine and everything worked perfectly.
I'm not happy with Panasonic's response that it is not meant for “production work”. If you're not meant to edit the footage on software why has it got a DV output! I would love to get my money back but I doubt I will after 10 year!

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Oct 13, 2016 at 1:47:00 am

Video cameras are notorious for crappy audio. God knows why, they keep using sub-par preamps in their audio circuit design. All efforts at improving cameras are directed towards the video end of things. As a rule, I only use the on board audio as a backup and for cuing purposes. I personally use a Tascam DR-70D. I get way better quality and versatility. You don't have to get that precise model. For the type of work I do, the 4 XLR inputs are nice to have. There are many different models available out there. Read up on them from the users. I am sure you will find a model that will suit your needs.

If you can live with a somewhat almost OK sound, stick with the camera's audio option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]