FORUMS: list search recent posts

Meta-question...What are Sony's plans for Vegas moving forward - if any?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy Smith
Meta-question...What are Sony's plans for Vegas moving forward - if any?
on Apr 14, 2016 at 4:15:53 am

I've been a user of Sony Vegas for over 12 years, even before it got bought out by Sony. It has been my go-to NLE for all that time, and it's served me well. I consider myself a very strong fan of the program and have essentially made a good percentage of my living from using it, virtually daily. With a good investment in add-ons and plug-ins from Red Giant, VASST, NewBlue, etc., I have an NLE that does everything I need to do.

In the early 'Sony years' I saw a lot of support for the program from Sony, evidenced by numerous upgrades over the years and a strong presence at NAB, including an annual users group get together, cosponsored by VASST. Not that an NAB party is indication of support, but this event has not occurred in the past couple of NAB's and I assume it's the case this year, as well. Overarching this lack of visible support is the subtle non-support or promotion of Vegas in deference to - somewhat halfheartedly in my opinion - Catalyst. It's never been clear as to why Catalyst showed up. Is it the supposed to be a replacement for Vegas? I've not heard what Catalyst is supposed to do differently than Vegas - or what market it is supposed to serve. It appears to be just another Sony competitor in the NLE space.

Several of my peers, many of whom I've introduced to Vegas over the years, have asked me if Vegas was on some sort of 'end-of-life' path, common with a lot of software products. Their concerns are the same as mine - is Vegas going to continue to survive and grow and be supported? What plans does Sony have for Vegas, if any? Should those of us who use Vegas professionally need to start migrating to another NLE, such as Premiere, Resolve - or maybe even Catalyst?

I'd be interested in others' views on this matter - especially long-time Vegas users. I'll be at NAB this year and will be interested to see if the waning sense of Vegas support that I've noticed over the past couple of years at the Sony pavilion will continue to be a trend this year.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Meta-question...What are Sony's plans for Vegas moving forward - if any?
on Apr 14, 2016 at 4:54:55 am

[Guy Smith] "I'll be at NAB this year and will be interested to see if the waning sense of Vegas support that I've noticed over the past couple of years at the Sony pavilion will continue to be a trend this year."
Please let those of us who aren't attending NAB know what you find. I don't think anyone knows where Vegas Pro is going. Sony has said that Catalyst Suite is not a replacement. There was also a mention of Vegas Pro 14 possibly being in the works. So it's anyone's guess what the future holds for Vegas Pro.

If it works for you, I don't see why you would move to another NLE even if Sony abandoned it. Editors are still using Final Cut Pro 7 five years after Apple has ended it's life. It still works for them and they still use it. Many editors are still using Vegas Pro 10 so Sony could have stopped making Vegas Pro 4 years ago and these editors wouldn't have noticed. So I don't see a need to go anywhere if Vegas Pro is still rocking your world.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 14, 2016 at 4:27:09 pm

Hey All,

While I agree with you John, that even is Sony is ending Vegas, it is still usable for a while, I would add this. Many of us try to keep on the cutting edge of an ever-changing world here in A/V production. I look back over the cameras I have bought, the change in formats, the increase in resolutions and on and on. The adage is, if you aren't moving forward, you are falling behind fits here I believe. I have been looking and working on other NLE's "just in case" Vegas is at it's end of life. I look at the newer cameras that come out and ask myself, "are there new formats that Vegas won't be able to support now?" Also, Vegas has it's caveats as well in terms of bugs, issues and for me playback!! Are these going to be addressed, are they going to support certain newer video cards, what should I buy when building a new system, etc. What about new OS's
It's tough to stay afloat in a this environment not knowing what your software company has in store for what you use. I love Vegas, and it is currently my main editor, but I have to hedge my bets as well...

Thanks as always for your input and insight!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 14, 2016 at 11:07:29 pm

I have to agree Scott, camera formats are the one thing that you have to think about carefully because new formats mean new challenges for software and if your NLE doesn't support them, (whether it's end-of-life or not) you are out of luck.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]