FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redlog & .DPX issues with Vegas Pro 13. University Thesis Film.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Sakowsky
Redlog & .DPX issues with Vegas Pro 13. University Thesis Film.
on Apr 9, 2016 at 1:16:01 am

I've been trying to import .dpx files that I rendered in adobe encoder where I was taking my r3d epic footage and flattening it out into redlogfilm however when I import the footage onto the vegas project timeline it's coming out extremely dark and I don't know what to do.

Then when I try to import the .dpx sequence back into encoder I get the flat image.

Can someone please help me, I'm in urgent need to get a export of my thesis film for the color correction I booked for this Monday.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Redlog & .DPX issues with Vegas Pro 13. University Thesis Film.
on Apr 10, 2016 at 11:46:23 pm

if you uploaded or shared an .r3d frame and the resulting .dpx frame, people might be able to help you more.

More information on your workflow from camera to final display format would help people help you.

You need to have your vegas project settings correct for the media you dropping on the timeline. Pixel format, compositing gamma, and view transforms is what I am referring to here.

Using Sony "levels" at the media lvl, track lvl, preview or effect level is probably what you are looking for. Set the gamma, and your input and output to get your footage in spec. But you need to understand the project settings in Vegas and level changes you are making through out the workflow.

I would try Epic footage -> RedCineX -> .dpx -> vegas for edit.

or

Epic footage -> RedCineX -> Cineform.avi -> Vegas for edit

or

Epic footage -> RedCineX -> .exr -> Vegas for edit w/proxy for smooth playback. Working in EXR will retain your color depth information from the epic. 10-bit dpx will clip that information.

If your final display output is DPC, that format is 12-bit JPEG2000 capable. So retaining better than 12-bit information will optimize this conversion. But ultimately you need to conform your camera footage to the edit intermediates required, or your final display format.

Mainly I would think your CC would be done in RedCineX, Resolve, or Vegas with the proper display hardware to grade the footage correctly. If you going to work with a CC house that uses one of the Unber pro CC systems, then work with them on the format you need to deliver to them.

Return to posts index

Ted Sakowsky
on Apr 10, 2016 at 11:59:26 pm

Thanks a lot for your help Aaron,

I am actually rendering all the r3d footage through encoder right now to bring it all back to redlogfilm in .dpx sequences. Then I am bringing that footage into vegas. The problem that I noticed was that in the display screen I was getting a really dark image of that redlogfilm .dpx sequence so I just tried rendering it out in .dpx sequences and found that the image that was rendered out did not reflect the dark display on the preview screen for some reason.

Would you know why that is?

Return to posts index

Ted Sakowsky
on Apr 11, 2016 at 12:13:52 am

Also to answer some of the previous questions.

I am working in 32 bit [full range] in 2.222 gamma with the view transform to off.

I had a few pictures to show the difference before but I just deleted those recently. I can try and upload them again but right now I am just in the process of rendering more of the r3d footage into the .dpx format.

The color corrector is expecting a .dpx sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]