FORUMS: list search recent posts

how can i set the same time to several photos to create a slideshow ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
giovanni romero
how can i set the same time to several photos to create a slideshow ?
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:37:07 am

hi
i'm starting to use vegas and i liked more then premiere
sadly i can not find a video tutorials for novice

may i know how can i set the same ammount to time to several photos in the timeline?

thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: how can i set the same time to several photos to create a slideshow ?
on Apr 5, 2016 at 10:50:54 am

There are all kinds of tutorials on the Sony site as well as all over YouTube.
The manual is always a great place to start as it explains everything.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training/vegaspro is the link to tutorials and articles on the Sony site.

If you're talking about setting each photo is visible on your timeline, go Options > Preferences > Editing and set New still image length to the desired time.
You can also choose to have all images overlap by clicking the Automatically overlap multiple selected media when added box and entering in the desired time.

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Apr 5, 2016 at 2:20:02 pm

Just to expand a little on Mike K's answer: The New still image length only works with new images added to your timeline after you make the change (i.e. it won't change the length of images already on your timeline).

If you set the Automatically overlap multiple selected media when added option, this will have pic1 fade into pic2 during the time duration the pictures are overlapped. You could also add a Transition (drag and drop from the Transitions tab onto the overlapped area of pic1 and pic2) that will affect the area where the two pictures are overlapped on the timeline.

There are many different transitions (Clock Wipe, Dissolve, Flash, etc.) with multiple variables you can set to get some neat effects during the transition from pic1 to pic2.

NOTE: It has been suggested that overusing the transitions can detract from the overall project by making it "amateurish". One thing I've had to learn over time is when to use these types of effects and when to not (or use them sparingly), because it can actually distract from the story I'm trying to tell.

NOTE: You've found an invaluable website in the Creative Cow Vegas Forum. You can get help with all levels of Vegas, from beginner to expert.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

giovanni romero
on Apr 5, 2016 at 6:09:03 pm

hi Andrew

thansk for the answer

well , i want to create a slideshow

i have lots of photos in my timeline

i want to set the duration of 15 pictures about 3 minutes

and set the duration of other photos about 6 minutes

how can i do it?
  • Automatically overlap multiple selected media when added
  • is inadequate when you work with lots of photos

NOTE: You've found an invaluable website in the Creative Cow Vegas Forum. You can get help with all levels of Vegas, from beginner to expert.
    thanks man , i appreciate it a lot

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
    on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:21:02 pm

Are you saying you want to display 15 pictures for 3 minutes each, or display 15 pictures for a total of 3 minutes? If it's the latter, that means you want each picture to display for 12 seconds (3 Minutes x 60 seconds/minute = 180 seconds. 180 seconds / 15 pictures = 12 seconds per picture). This is assuming there is no overlap of the pictures. If you are overlapping by 1 second each, you will need to increase the New still image length by 2 seconds (1 second for the front of the picture, 1 second for the end of the picture).

Not sure why you say,
    Automatically overlap multiple selected media when added is inadequate when you work with lots of photos.

You will need to select the pictures and add them as a group to get the automatic overlap (i.e. if you are adding pictures to the timeline one at a time, the automatic overlap won't work).

To select a group of pictures, use the standard Windows selection methods:
    1) To pick a contiguous block of pictures (i.e. pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5, etc.), left-click on pic1, then hold down the shift key and left click on the last picture of the group - pic5 in this case. This will select pictures 1-5. Next, with the picture files highlighted (selected), left-click on the 1st file, hold down the left mouse button and drag the group onto your timeline. The (selected) pictures will all come as a group and will be overlapped by the amount you set in the Options>Preferences...>Editing>Cut-to-overlap conversion (seconds) value.
    2) To pick a NON-contiguous block of pictures (i.e. pic1, pic3, pic4, pic6, pic9, etc.), left-click on pic1, then hold down the CTRL key and left click on each picture you want in the group. This will select pictures 1, 3, 4, 6, & 9. Next, with the picture files highlighted (selected), left-click on the 1st file, hold down the left mouse button and drag the group onto your timeline.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

giovanni romero
    on Apr 6, 2016 at 5:09:45 am

Andrew

about
    quote:
    Are you saying you want to display 15 pictures for 3 minutes each.....

is was only an example , seeing my native language is not english , i wanted to try an easy example

Great solution ->
    To select a group of pictures, use the standard Windows selection methods:
    1) To pick a contiguous block of pictures (i.e. pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5, etc.), left-click on pic1, then hold down the shift key and left click on the last picture of the group - pic5 in this case. This will select pictures 1-5. Next, with the picture files highlighted (selected), left-click on the 1st file, hold down the left mouse button and drag the group onto your timeline. The (selected) pictures will all come as a group and will be overlapped by the amount you set in the Options>Preferences...>Editing>Cut-to-overlap conversion (seconds) value.
    2) To pick a NON-contiguous block of pictures (i.e. pic1, pic3, pic4, pic6, pic9, etc.), left-click on pic1, then hold down the CTRL key and left click on each picture you want in the group. This will select pictures 1, 3, 4, 6, & 9. Next, with the picture files highlighted (selected), left-click on the 1st file, hold down the left mouse button and drag the group onto your timeline.

Return to posts index

giovanni romero
    on Apr 5, 2016 at 6:17:21 pm

hi Mike
    thanks for the answer

sadly i don't know how edit my message and use the quote

but i want to say that i'm tring to move from premiere to vegas

in premiere it was enough to selet a bung of photos in the timeline right click Speed/duration and set duration ...

i would like to do the same in vegas

thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
    on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:22:50 pm

No problem Giovanni.
    The easiest method to do what you want is what I did earlier today and have done a number of times and it works great.
    Put two markers (press the m key for this) on your timeline, one at the beginning and one at the end of your desired time.
    Place the series of pictures on your timeline, beginning at the first marker. It doesn't matter how long they're on there for as we'll change that in a moment. Apply a dissolve or any other transition between each one if you want that.
    Click the first image, hold down the Shift key and click the last image in the sequence (this selects all of them) and press the g key to group them all together.
    Now place your cursor at the far right edge of the last image. Hold down the CTRL key and drag everything to the right until you get to the second marker and let go.
    You should see a squiggly line (looks like a series of W joined together) that looks like a small wave across all these images. That's an indication that things have been slowed down or sped up.
    That's all there is to it.
    The same thing works if you're trying to shrink a group of images to fit a smaller amount of time. Click the first one, shift+click the last one, group them and then shrink to fit.
    Have fun!

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
    on Apr 5, 2016 at 11:41:06 pm

That's a neat thing Mike. I use it too.

But most of the time folks wanting a certain length are doing it to match music. There are sometimes better ways than stretching out or tightening up a limited number of visuals to match in a mechanical kind of way .. but, although apparently Vegas handles things different than Premiere .. it does handle this as long as the events are stills ..

Return to posts index

giovanni romero
    on Apr 6, 2016 at 5:16:01 am

[Mike Kujbida] "dissolve or any other transition between each one if you want that.
    Click the first image, hold down the Shift key and click the last image in the sequence (this selects all of them) and press the g key to group them all together.
    Now place your cursor at the far right edge of the last image. Hold down the CTRL key and drag everything to the right until you get to the second marker and let go.
    You should see a squiggly line (looks like a series of W joined together) that looks like a small wave across all these images. That's an indication that things hav"

hi
    thanks a lot
    i will try today as soon i have free time
    cheers

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
    on Apr 6, 2016 at 3:19:24 pm

The Vasst FasstApp StillMotion is a good inexpensive plugin option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]