first post

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Parks
first post
on Apr 4, 2016 at 10:20:38 pm

Hey everyone,

First-time poster!

I'm curious. I recently shot a concert using two cameras--a Canon XA-10 and a Canon T5i DSLR, both set to 1080p/30fps. I've used the XA-10 for a lot of projects, and have had great results rendering the .mts files out to mp4 in Vegas 13, no problems.

But the video from the T5i--it looks great in the Vegas preview window, although there is a little moire looking across marimba bars. The clips from the camera come off as .mov files and when I render them out to mp4 I lose sharpness and sometimes moving parts "trace" slightly, like I've had too much Nyquil. Of course, if I make the viewer smaller it looks better. But full-screen not so much.

I'm wondering if the T5i video is just not that great to start with, or if I should use a higher frame rate to compensate, or if anyone has any special render settings they would like to share--I'm using the Sony AVC .mp4 settings with the highest bit rate. I should note that I have converted the .mov file to mpeg-2 and h.264 with Brorsoft, attempting to render those files in Vegas to compare--there's no comparison to the original .mov.

Am I crazy or do I need to upgrade my video capabilities? I can put some samples up on YT if anyone wants to see?

PC, I7 processor, 16GB RAM, Vegas Pro 13 64-bit.

THANK YOU in advance; I truly hope I'm not missing something stupid.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: first post
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:05:52 am

[John Parks]

First-time poster!

First, welcome to the forum.

Since both were shot at 1080 30P, I presume that you are also rendering at 1080 30P. You will always get some judder if there is any significant movement at this frame rate. If both your media frame rate and render frame rate are the same (30P), it shouldn't matter, but I'd still Disable Resample for all of your events to see if that makes a difference. From what you describe, it sounds like Vegas is trying to smart resample for some reason.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:15:27 am

Thank you! I probably should have chosen a different title for my thread.

Yes, both render and project frame rates were identical (30fps). Please don't think I'm an idiot; I just ran through as many settings in Vegas as I could find--where is the Disable Resample?

I had come to the conclusion that Vegas just wasn't handling the .mov files as well as .mts or .mp4?

JP

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion
The Florida State University

http://www.johnparkspercussion.com

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:15:29 am

Wait a sec--found it! Smart resample is checked for all clips!

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:25:54 am

Smart resample is checked for all clips!

That is the default and for most situations, it really shouldn't matter matter so long as all frame and render rates are the same. It's only a problem if you have mixed rates. For example, filming at 60P and rendering at 30P with smart resample checked leads to interpolated frames and a ghosting effect. To be on the safe sides, it's probably best to always disable resampling.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:35:09 am

Gotcha.

In this particular project the frame rates were the same (I'm careful to make sure everything matches up correctly), so I'm not sure if the .mov 1080p/30fps footage I've rendered to .mp4 is as good as it gets, smart resampling or disabled. It definitely isn't as sharp or smooth as the render of the XA AVCHD files.

Fortunately the XA cameras work really well for me, so perhaps I should just keep my DSLR for stills!

Thank you Wayne! JP

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 5, 2016 at 2:56:24 am

I've used a T5i with footage from my JVC HM-750 (both shooting 24p) and haven't noticed any problems. The JVC records in mp4 and the T5i is mov. If there are too many mov files in a project (more than 50 as I recall) it will bog Vegas down a lot. If that's going to happen I convert all my mov files to either MXF or XAVC as both formats keep the original quality and are very Vegas friendly and easy to edit.

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Apr 5, 2016 at 11:38:09 am

Hey Mike,

Thank you so much for your note! When you convert the .mov files to MXF or XAVC are you using a converter? I have one, but those designations aren't options. Or do you simply render out the .mov files in Vegas to those file types?

I hope that's not a totally stupid question... JP

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]