FORUMS: list search recent posts

Veg file won't load after creating composting mask

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Veg file won't load after creating composting mask
on Mar 30, 2016 at 7:49:25 pm

Hello,
I'm running Sony Vegas 11.0 with the latest updates on a Windows 7 machine with 4GB of RAM and 20GB of free disk space. I have several shots that require masking out unwanted artefacts (a camera on a tripod for one). I set up a video composting track as a parent and configure the shots as a child. I then apply the mask using a key framing. I save the file, close Vegas and try to reopen it. The file saves fine but hangs upon reload at 42%. I've tried this several times in various configurations. As the masking gets more complex the load will fail earlier.

When I first discovered this I had run for a week without closing the file. I simply created snapshots every couple of hours. At the end of a week I had 25 snapshots saved and logged. All of the files save just fine. But at the end of the week, I shut down my PC and went home for the weekend. I came back in Monday morning and could not reload my most current file. I then went back through all of my snapshots. I had to go all the way back to a very early version with no video composting/masking.

My thinking has been that if I save the file periodically I am safe because I have backups. As a general rule, if you can save a file you can load it back in. This has been true for me for every application I've ever used. It's very frustrating and I'm not sure what to do about it. If you have any thoughts I'd be interested in hearing them.

Oh yea. One other tidbit. The files won't load into Sony Vegas 13 either.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Veg file won't load after creating composting mask
on Mar 31, 2016 at 4:51:57 am

Yes, does sound like Vegas is choking on loading. Please supply your system specs.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Mar 31, 2016 at 11:36:35 pm

Hardware: "Dell OptiPlex 790, x64-based PC, Intel Core i5-2400 @3.1GHX, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Enterprise, Page File 4.32GB.

I've worked in technology for 25 years and have never once seen a case where a program can create a file, save it, but not turn around and load it. Until now. Also the file renders fine. This in and of itself is almost enough for me to conclude there's a bug.

It's hard to see how this could be a hardware problem. Maybe if my disk drive was failing, but it's not. This is software.

I was hoping someone has seen something similar and could say, oh yea, this is that. Change this setting. The alternative is calling Sony support.

On the bright side I've figured out a workaround. All I have to do to avoid the problem is to make the child track a parent track before saving. It is not a very satisfying workaround. It means one extra step before saving and another after loading to restore the track as child.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:04:06 am

[Scott Davis] "On the bright side I've figured out a workaround. All I have to do to avoid the problem is to make the child track a parent track before saving. It is not a very satisfying workaround. It means one extra step before saving and another after loading to restore the track as child."
Scott, I'm no IT Pro. Your 25 years is awesome - yes. However, this issue can still indicate that Vegas IS choking on something, and not necessarily, a BUG, with that wished for, easy, fixable, clickable solution. Your media maybe, in that track configuration, maybe creating an issue. Consequently, you may also have proved that there is another issue - yes?

How are you able to open that which was NOT able to be opened? And then you've had the option now to OPEN, change the Track Parent switching if couldn't previously open it?

I'm confused?

Please give a FULL list of the Media being used and any FX-ing being employed. Your Project Settings and the amount of disc space you have available.

Unless I haven't understood clearly your description of the issue, what you are doing doesn't sound/appear to be very far away from what I and many others do do. That, in itself, points to a "local" issue and not a Vegas Pro issue.

Please supply a ScreenGrab of your timeline including the Track Headers too.

Interesting.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]