FORUMS: list search recent posts

Typical method to re-render edited action cam videos (or others) - render settings?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Murrin
Typical method to re-render edited action cam videos (or others) - render settings?
on Mar 29, 2016 at 4:49:37 pm

I'm curious how most people do the render as option in sony vegas..

If i take, as an example.. AS20 video from the Sony that is 1080p, original bit rate say 15mbps..

What i typically have done in the past is edit the video.. then goto render as..

I would then choose a baseline of say: "mainconcept AVC/AAC mp4".. then Internet 1080.. i figured internet 1080 was the best option in case i opt to upload to youtube, but is there any difference in quality for local playback (seems like there isnt)..

Then i customize the profile based on whatever the source file came from.. so in this case sony action cam at around 15-16mbps according to media info..

So i adjust the variable bit rate to say 10,000,000 average and the max to 16,000,000 .. still unclear on this part, if i even need to do this or not.. or maybe i should up the average to say 14,000,000.. i leave everything else the same, making sure the profile is either main or high.. and enable progressive download. (the original default 1080p internet is 12k to 24k max bps)

Does this seem to be about right? In the case of the sony x1000v, where it records at much higher bit rates .. say 30mbps.. i'd have to raise these values up even higher.. and on 4k, well i havent even crossed that road yet, but i assume i'd change the frame size, since there arent 4k options in there.

What do most people do to re-render?

(also, i usually turn off via switches the re-sampling.. by choosing disable resampling, otherwise with fast moving video i seem to get ghosting)

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Typical method to re-render edited action cam videos (or others) - render settings?
on Mar 30, 2016 at 1:44:44 am

One thing you did not mention was the frame rate of your render. Since its an action cam, presumably, you are recording at 1080 60P. In that case, you should probably render at 60P unless, you have very minimal movement. If you do render to 30P, you should definitely disable resampling.

I can't speak for others, but here's what I do for GoPro 2.7K footage that is recorded at 60 Mbps. After basic cuts editing, defishing, denoising where needed, and cropping the original footage, I render to an intermediate (Sony XAVC S--also at 60 mbps) at 1080 60P for final color grading. I also use the XAVC S footage for archiving. Once happy, I'll do a final render using the one-click Vegas to Handbrake script. http://www.vegasvideo.de/vegas-2-handbrake-en. In Handbrake, I usually use the QuickSync rendering option with an average bit rate of 22 Mbps, which seems to be OK for upload to YT or Vimeo. The results are probably better using CPU encoding, but the rendering is much faster in QS and I can't really tell the difference for renders at 22Mbps.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Mark Murrin
Re: Typical method to re-render edited action cam videos (or others) - render settings?
on Jun 1, 2016 at 5:15:52 pm

Thanks for that reply.. revisiting this.. what about the case where the original recording is actually 60.00 fps.. it seems many of the render options aside from mainconcept, when you put in 60.00 for the frame rate, change this to 59.94.. i would think this would cause an issue changing the framerate? Or maybe not.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 1, 2016 at 5:45:26 pm

i would think this would cause an issue changing the framerate? Or maybe not.

The differences between 59.94 fps and 60 fps are pretty minimal--1 frame per 1000 or roughly 1 frame every 10 sec. You have two options. First, just render at 59.94 fps, making sure that you disable resample. In this case, you drop every 1000th frame. Or, you could adjust the playback rate to .999. Assuming you have Vegas pro, there is a script written by John Rofrano for converting 30 fps to 29.97 fps that I modified to convert 60 fps to 59.94 fps. If you're interested, I can post that script.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]